Bill Maher.

"When historians look back on our time, they will not divide us into red and blue and Republican-Democrat. The things that were wrong with us were wrong with both sides in different ways. I do think they manifest in a more dangerous way on the right," Maher said. "But on the left, there is a rot, and it comes from academia, and it filters down. Am I wrong about that? That’s where it’s all coming from." 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
21 hours ago, nic said:

Bill Maher.

"When historians look back on our time, they will not divide us into red and blue and Republican-Democrat. The things that were wrong with us were wrong with both sides in different ways. I do think they manifest in a more dangerous way on the right," Maher said. "But on the left, there is a rot, and it comes from academia, and it filters down. Am I wrong about that? That’s where it’s all coming from." 

Yes, Maher, you are wrong about that. Academia is not the problem.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 3
  • 1 month later...

They’re were part of the pilot program in Douglas county Colorado that did this when my kids were in first grade. We were all set with a private school and then the union law suits happened and the program was tied up in court for years. I have heard the black community really likes school of choice.

• Oh Yeah! 1

As we all know, black communities are disproportionally affected by bad public school systems.  It is true here.  Black communities do support school choice.  In Cleveland it is the minorities that take advantage of School Choice.  

Doesn't it make sense that the money just follow the kids?  Teacher unions are among the strongest unions in our country.  Cleveland public schools were online for more than a year.  Those kids all fell behind.  It wasn't the administrator's fault.  It was the union.

If we allowed all of the parents in this country to choose where their kids went to school, would education be worse?

• TBH 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2023/01/22/us/gender-identity-students-parents.amp.html

Article on schools helping kids change gender without parents knowledge. 

Olivia Garrison, a history teacher in Bakersfield, Calif., who is nonbinary… has helped students socially transition at school without their parents’ knowledge."

"My job, which is a public service, is to protect kids… Sometimes, they need protection from their own parents," 

47 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Nic what you do you mean "black community really likes the choice"?  Where did you hear it?  What do all the other races think about it?

In one of the recent elections a black candidate mentioned that Republicans could secure more black votes by pushing school of choice in black communities 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I could get behind "school choice" as long as private schools are required to take on the same percentage of Special Education students as the surrounding districts.

One of our Sped teachers is managing the IEP of a student that goes to a private school here in town because that school doesn't have the resources.  It's absolute bs!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I could get behind "school choice" as long as private schools are required to take on the same percentage of Special Education students as the surrounding districts.

One of our Sped teachers is managing the IEP of a student that goes to a private school here in town because that school doesn't have the resources.  It's absolute bs!

Yeah, this is the same for home schooled kids as well.  

Sped teachers get overworked as it is, because their role is so clearly not clearly defined.  Same with counselors at most schools, they basically end up doing more non-counseling things during the day.

With that said, the reason that (for example) Elk Public Schools are so good, is because they have closed up their boundaries.  Same as westside was for years...

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, this is the same for home schooled kids as well.  

Sped teachers get overworked as it is, because their role is so clearly not clearly defined.  Same with counselors at most schools, they basically end up doing more non-counseling things during the day.

With that said, the reason that (for example) Elk Public Schools are so good, is because they have closed up their boundaries.  Same as westside was for years...

sent as dm...