Is it best for kids to all get varying content during their schooling because none of the private schools have managed expectations and curriculum?  So someone that qualifies or can afford, or gets lucky in a draft goes to a school that teaches AP courses, and the others might go to a school that doesn't for instance allow certain history lessons or courses?  How do these folks compare when they try to get into college?  How are they both prepared for ACT/SAT?  What about life skills?

43 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think taking more money from them and giving to private schools is going to be a good answer. It will indoctrinate kids in a religion and make inequality even worse.

Ok….my family’s kids didn’t have to go there….thankfully.  I guess I’m fine with only kids in Louisiana going to private schools that can afford it, if you are. 

they can keep trying to fix the public schools.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

They have been trying to fix them for decades and gave failed. 

you are so right, the La schools are HORRIBLE, New Orleans especially.  Have taught about 20 kids from that area after Katrina and later on as well, those kids just flat out do whatever they want.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Or should the public schools get fixed?

The problem isn’t the schools, it’s society. Schools are only as good as the students that go there and the students are only as good as their parents raise them to be. That’s why “fix the schools” rarely works. It’s just an endless black hole of wasted money as long as nothing is being done to correct the real problems.

Some people think it is poverty, and yes that makes it more challenging, but I’ve seen plenty of poverty stricken students succeed in school because their parents cared. The bigger problem is parents that don’t care, lack of discipline, drugs, gangs, etc. Throwing money at schools may provide some help overcoming some of those things but not enough. And I don’t know how you fix lack of proper parenting.

:boxosoap

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The problem isn’t the schools, it’s society. Schools are only as good as the students that go there and the students are only as good as their parents raise them to be. That’s why “fix the schools” rarely works. It’s just an endless black hole of wasted money as long as nothing is being done to correct the real problems.

Some people think it is poverty, and yes that makes it more challenging, but I’ve seen plenty of poverty stricken students succeed in school because their parents cared. The bigger problem is parents that don’t care, lack of discipline, drugs, gangs, etc. Throwing money at schools may provide some help overcoming some of those things but not enough. And I don’t know how you fix lack of proper parenting.

:boxosoap

This is 100% true but certain people/posters can't/won't accept/admit it.

The school is just a building with four walls.  Pretty much everything else is the same from a "good" school to a "bad" school.  The difference is the students/families.  

I know people watch some Hallmark movie about a bad school that gets turned around with a teacher that makes the students read some Bob Dylan lyrics but it usually doesn't work that way.

• Plus1 3
19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is 100% true but certain people/posters can't/won't accept/admit it.

The school is just a building with four walls.  Pretty much everything else is the same from a "good" school to a "bad" school.  The difference is the students/families.  

I know people watch some Hallmark movie about a bad school that gets turned around with a teacher that makes the students read some Bob Dylan lyrics but it usually doesn't work that way.

I’m not sure who on here would disagree with that.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not sure who on here would disagree with that.  

This may all be true, but I think that a HUGE component is teacher pay.  Average salary for a teacher is fairly low if you want to live on it.  

I admit when I went looking for sources to back up my opinion I was surprised - in 2022 private schools averaged lower pay than public (I thought it would be the opposite) but in reading why, it comes down to:  1. private schools don't always require certification or training to teach and 2. the benefits offered at private schools are often lackluster in comparison to state teachers.  Of course there are elite private schools that pay more and provide excellent benes but the many privates do not.  Regardless, 46k or 61k is not a living in many states.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/12/13/public-school-teacher-pay-private/

And can we please talk about how rural america is going to benefit from taking money away from public schools for private to do these voucher programs?  Privates that their students have no opportunity to take advantage of because of where they live?  Public schools need more money, not taking the little they get and carve it up more to share with privates.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 8.19.31 AM.png

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

Can you give specific examples? 

I do make the mistake of telling kids that they can make a really descent living if they forego a four-year degree and learn a trade.

Unless they want to use that four-year degree to become an Industrial Tech teacher...

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:
9 hours ago, knapplc said:

I do make the mistake of telling kids that they can make a really descent living if they forego a four-year degree and learn a trade.

Great advice that kids need to hear as an option.  Especially those that know they want to work in a trade early on in life.  

BTW…My HS (FR), his second favorite class last semester was Woods 1.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Unless they want to use that four-year degree to become an Industrial Tech teacher...

I tell them that all the time.  We as teachers (doesn't matter the school or private or public) constantly do some"indoctrination" by accident and on purpose, we are human and it happens. 

I tell me seniors that they should all look into rushing when they go off to college.  Some people would probably freak out about that and consider brainwashing.  

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

This may all be true, but I think that a HUGE component is teacher pay.  Average salary for a teacher is fairly low if you want to live on it.  

I admit when I went looking for sources to back up my opinion I was surprised - in 2022 private schools averaged lower pay than public (I thought it would be the opposite) but in reading why, it comes down to:  1. private schools don't always require certification or training to teach and 2. the benefits offered at private schools are often lackluster in comparison to state teachers.  Of course there are elite private schools that pay more and provide excellent benes but the many privates do not.  Regardless, 46k or 61k is not a living in many states.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/12/13/public-school-teacher-pay-private/

And can we please talk about how rural america is going to benefit from taking money away from public schools for private to do these voucher programs?  Privates that their students have no opportunity to take advantage of because of where they live?  Public schools need more money, not taking the little they get and carve it up more to share with privates.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 8.19.31 AM.png

First off, thank you!  I agree about the money.  

Secondly, if you ever get to read twitter comments about teacher pay, it is amazing how much most people hate us.  

Out of fireman, cops and teachers...I think we are the most hated?  Maybe cops.  It is a tough call.  

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just about every boy in HS dreams about wood.

Oh my god...

Literally almost spit out my coffee!  Well done!  

• Fire 1