58 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Does the real american history taught in schools mention things like Agent Orange, redlining, the Tuskegee Syphilis Study, Japanese internment camps, FBI and police terrorism towards the Black Panther breakfast programs, the Patriot Act, Guantanamo, all the times we have faked or lied about attacks against us in order to justify war, etc.

Or the Tulsa massacre. Or the truth about conditions of slaves in the South. Or about the absolute dogfight that women had to go through to get to vote. Or about smallpox blankets. Etc, etc, etc.

And if any of these are even touched on it's in such a sanitized way because White people get their feelings hurt when they learn about the atrocious things White people have done in this country.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Or the Tulsa massacre. Or the truth about conditions of slaves in the South. Or about the absolute dogfight that women had to go through to get to vote. Or about smallpox blankets. Etc, etc, etc.

And if any of these are even touched on it's in such a sanitized way because White people get their feelings hurt when they learn about the atrocious things White people have done in this country.

I think a lot of what you two mentioned was covered when I was in school, but they were generally small sections with only a few paragraphs dedicated to them. I do know for sure that the Tulsa massacre was never once mentioned though. I had no clue about that until very recently.

Slavery was a pretty big topic, and the treatment of slaves on boats and plantations was discussed in depth. I guess the piece they don't really drive home is how utterly dependent the south was on slaves for their economy. But I think slavery and the blending of that into civil rights movement is covered pretty well in schools.

There's alway the issue of learning from history to avoid repeating it, and post-World War II American foreign policy has plenty of complex but valuable lessons. There was a time, around Mao's shocking takeover of China in 1949, when the Domino Theory - though flawed - was defensible. By the time we get to Vietnam, we have abandoned our democratic principals for a binary anti-Communist crusade that was both folly and cynical power play. We gave billions of dollars to two-bit dictators who gamed us as "anti-communists," and the U.S. fully manipulated entire nations like Chile on behalf of both political gamesmanship and American corporate interests. From assassinations to unnecessary wars, we killed people, hid the motives, and distracted people with flag waving and American Exceptionalism. We did all this while  simultaneously giving legitimate aid and backing to worthy nations, peoples and allies, and fighting enemies who were total s#!t heels. Our founding principals remain pretty exceptional.

We can talk about all that, but we can't argue that talking about the bad s#!t -- the truth -- makes us weaker. It's the only way to get better.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We are right in the thick of this, with a 19 year old in community college still struggling mightily with math, a subject he has no intention of using in a career he still hasn't chosen but remains a requirement for the transfer to the universities that generously slot 2 year students. He has thrived in History and Psychology, two subjects that might not apply to his un-chosen profession, either. Most importantly, he has met people, learned how to navigate life independently, dealt with the good and bad of unsolicited roommates, grown two inches, had some adventures, and made out with women who eluded him in high school. 

He's still stressed, worried that he doesn't know what he wants to be, or that he'll change his mind after committing to a field of study. I remind him that at his age, I fully intended to be a KFMQ disc jockey. His grandfather changed his mind at 40, going back to get an MA degree. Kids who know what they want to do and apply themselves accordingly are lucky and admirable. Good lord do we need dedicated engineering students. But undirected 19 year olds aren't unusual, either. We're of the mind that the task at hand is getting a college degree, the piece of paper itself, whatever it symbolizes in the job market, however debatable the price and value of a college education may be. Get the degree and pursue whatever life you want from there. It's table stakes. 

College is where you meet people, and if necessary, reinvent the kid you were in high school. It's where the roommate you tolerated turns into a connection down the road, getting you into his or his dad's company, in a field you never imagined working for a company that doesn't care what your major was. It's where you meet the beautiful Chilean heiress who pays you to be her boy toy, at least if you go by my son's current strategy.  

Cheat

f#&% it, it is, in the grand scheme of things, a meaningless math class.  

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was born in 1967. So, while I was in school, I was NOT taught certain realities of the Vietnam war and what was going on in the US during that time. 

So, what is the real American history that I should have been taught?  

My mother was born in 1930. She never knew hardly anything about racism till she was out of HS and in the early 60s and traveled to the south and experienced segregation. 

Whats the real history with race she learned in school?

That's interesting. I am around the same age. Mom was also born in 1930 and father in the early 20s. My mom's cousins fought in Nam and I was taught certain realities from the war. I don't remember whether I got that from text books, teachers or family although my history teachers nickname was jungle Jane.... Jokingly of course....She was an incredibly good teacher despite being thought of as too afr left. I would say most of the history I learned came from her or family. 

Since my dad saw alot in his military travels, I learned about racism at a young age through  his stories. ...Certainly only through one his lense. Learned about Rosa Parks, MLK, slavery, associated constitutional ammendments, etc. as one would in school. I make sure my kids do too. They were especially disturbed by the 3/5s of a person wording. Do you think too many kids do not learn about our complex past? I would not want it sugar coated, but I am also watching over what they are taught.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

That's interesting. I am around the same age. Mom was also born in 1930 and father in the early 20s. My mom's cousins fought in Nam and I was taught certain realities from the war. I don't remember whether I got that from text books, teachers or family although my history teachers nickname was jungle Jane.... Jokingly of course....She was an incredibly good teacher despite being thought of as too afr left. I would say most of the history I learned came from her or family. 

Since my dad saw alot in his military travels, I learned about racism at a young age through  his stories. ...Certainly only through one his lense. Learned about Rosa Parks, MLK, slavery, associated constitutional ammendments, etc. as one would in school. I make sure my kids do too. They were especially disturbed by the 3/5s of a person wording. Do you think too many kids do not learn about our complex past? I would not want it sugar coated, but I am also watching over what they are taught.

OK...now, take everything out of this where you "learned from family" and that should also be taught in school because there are kids who do not have families that teach them these realities about our history.

But...there's a heck of a lot here that is now being labeled as CRT.  One side is trying to tell us all how horrible this is.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, nic said:

The Colorado teacher union adopted a new resolution. The final draft left of the last part of 5 and 6. Can teachers quit the unions and keep their jobs?

2E3CC4B2-921F-4E35-A1FC-B3DECBE8E5B0.thumb.webp.5071ce527ff9edbf008af17a385ec91b.webp

I think the words "Submitted by: Bryan Lindstrom" up top suggests this is not what Nic claims it to be, and it's most likely manufactured bait that guys like Nic don't bother to vet before chumming the waters. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
23 hours ago, knapplc said:

Or the Tulsa massacre.

It's amazing how often Tulsa comes up the last couple of years. I'm a Baby Boomer and a history reader and I had never heard of it. Most of us hadn't. The whole story is shocking and repulsive. It's actually hard to envision the cruelty and the mindset of the people behind the massacre, yet they prevailed and somehow managed to avoid shame by the tacit agreement of the larger white society to never mention the incident. It was of course the scale that makes the Tulsa Massacre extra horrifying and seemingly hard to make disappear, but the sentiment wasn't rare. And probably still isn't. 

Learning about Tulsa 100 years after the fact was like the blinders coming off completely, at a time when cell phone footage was confirming that racism today is likewise far worse than we'd care to admit. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
57 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's amazing how often Tulsa comes up the last couple of years. I'm a Baby Boomer and a history reader and I had never heard of it. Most of us hadn't. The whole story is shocking and repulsive. It's actually hard to envision the cruelty and the mindset of the people behind the massacre, yet they prevailed and somehow managed to avoid shame by the tacit agreement of the larger white society to never mention the incident. It was of course the scale that makes the Tulsa Massacre extra horrifying and seemingly hard to make disappear, but the sentiment wasn't rare. And probably still isn't. 

Learning about Tulsa 100 years after the fact was like the blinders coming off completely, at a time when cell phone footage was confirming that racism today is likewise far worse than we'd care to admit. 

I honestly had never heard of it until a few years ago.

The fact that we were never taught about it just adds to how disgusting it is.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, nic said:

The Colorado teacher union adopted a new resolution. The final draft left of the last part of 5 and 6. Can teachers quit the unions and keep their jobs?

2E3CC4B2-921F-4E35-A1FC-B3DECBE8E5B0.thumb.webp.5071ce527ff9edbf008af17a385ec91b.webp

Do you have a photo of the "adoption"?

This picture doesn't mean anything on it's own.

And yes, teachers can quit unions and keep their jobs.  If the NEA ever did this, I would.   I'm thinking about leaving the union anyways...

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Do you have a photo of the "adoption"?

This picture doesn't mean anything on it's own.

And yes, teachers can quit unions and keep their jobs.  If the NEA ever did this, I would.   I'm thinking about leaving the union anyways...

That's because you live in a right to work state, correct?