Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would like to see the numbers.  What exactly are these teachers making along with package of benefits compared to cost of living?

http://careers.dpsk12.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/DPS_ProComp_SalaryGuide_2018.pdf

 

Briefly looking at this, they appear to be making about 5-10% more than teachers around Omaha and Lincoln.

 

Edit: Here is Nebraska's salaries. https://www.nsea.org/sites/default/files/content_images/Collective_Bargaining/18PAGEall.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, teachercd said:

Omaha is also 14% less fun than Denver...

 

So if my math is correct...yep...those people are underpaid.   Hahaha

 

:lol:   #WeedFactor

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crux of the issue appears to be that the district wants to keep using a bonus payout system, but the teachers want to reduce the bonuses in favor of increasing base pay. The bonus system is supposed to help attract and retain better teachers especially for high-poverty schools, but the teachers say that doesn't actually work. The teachers don't like the bonus system because their salaries fluctuating year to year makes it hard to plan their finances.

 

As far as total money, the teachers want $28.5 million while the district is offering $23.3 million.

 

Here's a high level summary:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/429341-denver-teachers-set-to-strike-on-monday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The crux of the issue appears to be that the district wants to keep using a bonus payout system, but the teachers want to reduce the bonuses in favor of increasing base pay. The bonus system is supposed to help attract and retain better teachers especially for high-poverty schools, but the teachers say that doesn't actually work. The teachers don't like the bonus system because their salaries fluctuating year to year makes it hard to plan their finances.

 

As far as total money, the teachers want $28.5 million while the district is offering $23.3 million.

 

Here's a high level summary:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/429341-denver-teachers-set-to-strike-on-monday

 

Here's the biggest frustration my family has that live in Colorado have.  Legal pot was supposed to be taxed and that money was supposed to go to the educational systems.  Where's that money and why are they still broke when talking about the school systems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

Here's the biggest frustration my family has that live in Colorado have.  Legal pot was supposed to be taxed and that money was supposed to go to the educational systems.  Where's that money and why are they still broke when talking about the school systems?

It did raise almost $100 million, but that's still <2% of the total school budget.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/do-marijuana-taxes-go-to-schools-yes-but-probably-not-in-the-way-you-think-they-do

Quote

 

Total marijuana tax revenue for Colorado’s public schools, including the B.E.S.T. fund was $90.3 million in 2017-18. That is 1.6 percent of the entire K-12 public school budget of $5.6 billion.

In the 2017-18 fiscal year, state lawmakers distributed an extra $30 million to rural school districts; in the same year the state budget shortfall to schools was $830 million.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone that has taught in a crappy school with students that were jerks, I can tell you that the bonus would have had to have been at least 25K extra a year to stay.  Getting told to F off, being told that "my grandpa will come here and make you rest in peace" kids literally refusing to open up their book to the page I asked, not turning anything in, refusing to sit next to certain kids...it sucked.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, teachercd said:

As someone that has taught in a crappy school with students that were jerks, I can tell you that the bonus would have had to have been at least 25K extra a year to stay.  Getting told to F off, being told that "my grandpa will come here and make you rest in peace" kids literally refusing to open up their book to the page I asked, not turning anything in, refusing to sit next to certain kids...it sucked.

 

 

Been there and done that.  I'll carry that year with me forever so I can remind myself on "bad days" what it is like in other schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Been there and done that.  I'll carry that year with me forever so I can remind myself on "bad days" what it is like in other schools.

It is brutal...a lady on my "team" said she would vomit most mornings because of how dreadful and stressful the day was going to be...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is brutal...a lady on my "team" said she would vomit most mornings because of how dreadful and stressful the day was going to be...

I also had coping mechanisms that sometimes led to vomitting :wasted

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the son of two former educators and my fiance is in a masters program currently to be a school counselor, I always stand with teachers...except teachercd. That guy sucks:lol:  This profession should start at $50,000/year and work its way up steadily. Of course, thats my opinion and my thought on how important this profession is to our future. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 3:29 PM, Frott Scost said:

As the son of two former educators and my fiance is in a masters program currently to be a school counselor, I always stand with teachers...except teachercd. That guy sucks:lol:  This profession should start at $50,000/year and work its way up steadily. Of course, thats my opinion and my thought on how important this profession is to our future. 

Ha!  This is all true!

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×