4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, because you can only use your losses to off set your earnings. 

Let’s say I lose 10 million. Then for the next ten years I only make 100,000. You’re saying I can’t account for the other 9 million?

again, if you look at it over multiple years, I’m paying taxes on all my earnings. 

I see what you're saying, but at what point does that become to the detriment of society? Do you not have to pay taxes for the next 90 years in that scenario? The way I see it is that letting businesses offset their losses is a way to encourage business startups, but if the business still can't make a profit a decade later, then maybe it's time to stop encouraging that business.

FYI, I don't think the tax offsets we're talking about are really that big of a deal. I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate to your argument. There's a million other things I'd fix before worrying about loss offsets.

• 1 month later...

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Good article:

I just finished reading "Amazing Grace" by Jonathan Kozol.  This article sums up the book nicely.

If you've not read it, it is about the plights of families living in the South Bronx in early/mid 90's.  It illustrates the sad state of public housing, public hospitals, and public schools in the poor neighborhoods.  It's a pretty sobering read....

• Thanks 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So is this a commission to promote the history of American Exceptionalism, but not promote education avenues for us to be exceptional going forward? I would rather there was a commission on the promotion of STEM in our education system. I don't understand how a degree in Chemical Engineering is a Liberal degree. Even if that degree came from UC Berkeley.

• Plus1 2