8 minutes ago, GSG said:

What kills me is that there's been this huge push over the past decade or so to cater to each child's individual learning capabilities/needs, but now they want a teacher to have all the lesson plans done before the year even starts. I can't tell you how many times each week my wife has to adjust her plans due to kids needing extra help with something or kids missing school and being behind, etc. etc. Not to mention adjustments for new students that come in throughout the year. Great job Indiana! 

GSG, here for "Leaving More Children Behind"! :)

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

:rolleyes::facepalm: I thought it was clearly a joking/tongue-in-cheek post. The joke being, leaving more kids "behind" would lighten your wife's workload as a teacher. 

OK my fault. I apologize. With all the s#!t going on at her individual school and education in general I get defensive very easily. That' my bad 

Just now, GSG said:

OK my fault. I apologize. With all the s#!t going on at her individual school and education in general I get defensive very easily. That' my bad 

:thumbs 

Teachers are in a tough spot, for sure. My Dad is inching towards retirement, and looking more forward to it by the day, I think.

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

:thumbs 

Teachers are in a tough spot, for sure. My Dad is inching towards retirement, and looking more forward to it by the day, I think.

We've been discussing a career change for my wife. Either completely out of education or at least just getting out of the classroom. It's become insanity and here in CO, the pay vs cost of living isn't worth the brain damage. 

ETA: Which sucks because she really enjoys working with the kids but the rest of the s#!t has just become a nightmare.

Edited by GSG

I will drop this here:

If our country would just guarantee to educate kids and not guarantee to do it through Public Ed., I think we would be fine.  Allow parents to choose where to send their kids regardless of school boundaries, private or public, or religious or non-sectarian.  Have the tax payer money follow the kid.

:snacks::D

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I teach "shop" and have 18 years left.

There are days I want to start a countdown clock...

We have four kids in our school district, so we're around the schools a lot for various things. You can see in on the teachers' faces. My Dad really has at least 4 years left, should probably go 7 more. He's talked about retiring early and just working for me (in landscaping). 

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

We have four kids in our school district, so we're around the schools a lot for various things. You can see in on the teachers' faces. My Dad really has at least 4 years left, should probably go 7 more. He's talked about retiring early and just working for me (in landscaping). 

The last 2 years have been rough.  What's strange is that this year seams to have been the worst!  Everyone is just tired, grumpy and on fumes.  We're constantly being reminded about s#!t we can't control: make sure Billy keeps his mask on in the bathroom, make sure those kids at home are keeping caught up, make sure have lessons posted in GoogleClassroom even though you spent your plan period teaching Spanish...

The best part has been staff meetings though.  The short tempers lead to honest, and very entertaining, feedback with our administrators :lol:

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The last 2 years have been rough.  What's strange is that this year seams to have been the worst!  Everyone is just tired, grumpy and on fumes. 

The best part has been staff meetings though.  The short tempers lead to honest, and very entertaining, feedback with our administrators :lol:

Be careful there! The superintendent in our district offed himself in 2020. 

Edit: Obviously I'm not blaming the teachers for that.

• 1 month later...

https://backpackbill.com/

The Backpack Bill empowers families to choose the educational option that best meets their needs. The Backpack Bill ties state resources to the student so that Ohio funds students and teachers, instead of buildings and bureaucrats.

Every child is unique, and families should be empowered to choose the best educational setting to meet their child’s needs. At the same time, the Backpack Bill ensures that Ohio maintains strong funding for community and public schools.

This is a bill being put forward in Ohio.  It will never pass, but it is hard for me to think this is a bad thing.  There are too many bad schools.  At least give the parents the power to choose where their kids go to school.  When you look at the kids and their education, this makes sense.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

https://backpackbill.com/

This is a bill being put forward in Ohio.  It will never pass, but it is hard for me to think this is a bad thing.  There are too many bad schools.  At least give the parents the power to choose where their kids go to school.  When you look at the kids and their education, this makes sense.  

I don't know the breakdown, but the overwhelming amount of tax dollars flowing into schools comes from federal/state funds, and property taxes paid by businesses and people who don't have a child in the school.  Are they proposing that families can use their tax dollars to pay for private school?  If so, just stop complaining about raising the Child Tax Credit and let people put that towards private tuition...Seems like a much simpler fix than adding another layer of bureaucratic accounting.

I am not exactly sure, but I would hope that this would work for other school districts as well.  The town I live in is ranked 4th in the state for education.  The town borders Cleveland.  I see no reason why the money couldn't follow those kids to another school district.  In my mind, even though I work at a Christian school, it should benefit all kids to choose wherever they want to go.  If a family wants their kid at a public school 20 miles away?  So be it.

It is about the kids and families being able to make choices.

• Plus1 1