2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

First, you can't include the students in the evaluation process, that just would not be fair.  You can't have parents involved, that would be insane.

I've never said students or parents should be involved.  I don't include my customers in evaluating my employees.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question.

Do you know what a good teacher is?

Yep!

With all honesty, every teacher I work with right now is a good teacher.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I've never said students or parents should be involved.  I don't include my customers in evaluating my employees.

I know, I was just saying.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question.

Do you know what a good teacher is?

I know one when I see one.  

Some are masters of the curriculum.  Some are honest and admit they don’t know and “dig in” with the kids.

Some Coach extra curriculars and some spend time tutoring off the clock.

Some know when to send a kid to the principal at the right time and some handle discipline in house.

Some are straight up mean and others are teddy bears.

Some are best buds with admin, some have the ire of admin.

Out of all the great teachers your kids had, what qualities made them great? And how would you measure those traits to create a performance based pay system?

If it’s fair and legit, I’d be for it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yep!

With all honesty, every teacher I work with right now is a good teacher.

So....teachers know what a good teacher is.  But, they don't want a system where those good teachers are rewarded with higher pay.....because it's too difficult to decide what a good teacher is.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....teachers know what a good teacher is.  But, they don't want a system where those good teachers are rewarded with higher pay.....because it's too difficult to decide what a good teacher is.

Dude, feel free to give me more money.  I am fine with that.

Let me ask you, what is a good teacher in your mind?

• Fire 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not an educator.  So, I shouldn't be the one creating the process and criteria.  

I’m not actually asking you to evaluate them.  But why did you like them?  Was it the same reason for all?

Im guessing it’s mostly because they created an atmosphere where your kids were safe and felt comfortable.  They took the time to build a relationship and left a mark on your kids.  I don’t know how you can measure subjective things like this.

But those intangibles are what make good teachers.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, funhusker said:

I’m not actually asking you to evaluate them.  But why did you like them?  Was it the same reason for all?

Im guessing it’s mostly because they created an atmosphere where your kids were safe and felt comfortable.  They took the time to build a relationship and left a mark on your kids.  I don’t know how you can measure subjective things like this.

But those intangibles are what make good teachers.

Non-teachers don't totally know what they really mean.  This weird idea that there are all these teachers out there that don't know their content is kind of crazy.

They are talking about classroom management, which for the most part very much depends on where you teach.  When I taught at an inner-city school , guess what, my classroom management SUCKED.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, teachercd said:

Non-teachers don't totally know what they really mean.  This weird idea that there are all these teachers out there that don't know their content is kind of crazy.

They are talking about classroom management, which for the most part very much depends on where you teach.  When I taught at an inner-city school , guess what, my classroom management SUCKED.

Mine too!

A lot of these magical teachers from small town NE with a class of 14 and responsible parents at home might not last a year in OPS.

And that POS teacher from Omaha with kids fighting in the classroom would probably have a gym named after him/her in that small town.

I’m a firm believer that school performance is a reflection of the parents/families of the district.

Teachers are like QBs.  We get way too much credit, and waaaaay too much blame.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

School boards would not be involved in this process.

They approve salaries and pay schedules.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, funhusker said:

Mine too!

A lot of these magical teachers from small town NE with a class of 14 and responsible parents at home might not last a year in OPS.

And that POS teacher from Omaha with kids fighting in the classroom would probably have a gym named after him/her in that small town.

I’m a firm believer that school performance is a reflection of the parents/families of the district.

Teachers are like QBs.  We get way too much credit, and waaaaay too much blame.

Amen!

s#!t, it even changes from class to class.  I have some classes where I am the most amazing teacher ever and then other classes it is a struggle, just because of the makeup of the students in the class.

Or, you ever have a day where the "bad kid" is gone and all of a sudden that class runs perfectly?!?!  How do you evaluate that?

When you work at a Hy Vee and you get some bad grapes in...you toss them out and the customers still evaluate that Hy Vee as having great produce.

We can't just throw out our bad grapes. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Amen!

s#!t, it even changes from class to class.  I have some classes where I am the most amazing teacher ever and then other classes it is a struggle, just because of the makeup of the students in the class.

Or, you ever have a day where the "bad kid" is gone and all of a sudden that class runs perfectly?!?!  How do you evaluate that?

When you work at a Hy Vee and you get some bad grapes in...you toss them out and the customers still evaluate that Hy Vee as having great produce.

We can't just throw out our bad grapes. 

Heck yes!  Even the kids will comment about how nice it is with them gone.

Then we’ll talk about how we shouldn’t feed the beast and give the kid a audience when they get back.

Next day, all the kids are laughing at “armpit farts”…

• Haha 2