Just now, BigRedBuster said:

This is an area where I fully 100% support the teachers.  That s#!t has to stop.

When I was a kid, if you caused problems, you were sent to "the hole".  It was what used to be the ticket booth for the gym.  It had no windows and was small.  You were required to sit in it for hours with the lights off.  Nothing to do.

It sucked.....so I'm told.  You did not want to be sent to the hole.

Holy s#!t! 

Today that would get a few people fired and probably a healthy settlement from the district to the family 

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But yet....when I bring up teachers being evaluated, I'm told there's no way to do that.

We have an instructional model for the district.  My evsluation is to make sure I check the boxes.  Some teachers do this more smoothly than others, but almost all of us check the boxes.

-anticipatory set

-clearly posted ibjective

-I do, we do, do it together, you do 

-informal assessment

-etc

-also looks at how kids are reacting to the lesson; engagement

Some teachers make it look seamless, others are clunky like they are reading a script.  But all are measurably meeting responsibilities.

We just don’t see why it would be fair to give one teacher a raise just because the admin liked their lesson better.  Even though both fulfilled district expectations.

2 minutes ago, GSG said:

Holy s#!t! 

Today that would get a few people fired and probably a healthy settlement from the district to the family 

Oh...I know.  That's BS.  But, you know what?  There were a hell of a lot of kids that didn't act up in class because they didn't want to be sent to the hole.

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We have an instructional model for the district.  My evsluation is to make sure I check the boxes.  Some teachers do this more smoothly than others, but almost all of us check the boxes.

-anticipatory set

-clearly posted ibjective

-I do, we do, do it together, you do 

-informal assessment

-etc

-also looks at how kids are reacting to the lesson; engagement

Some teachers make it look seamless, others are clunky like they are reading a script.  But all are measurably meeting responsibilities.

We just don’t see why it would be fair to give one teacher a raise just because the admin liked their lesson better.  Even though both fulfilled district expectations.

OK.

If that's the way teachers like it....great.  I'll stop trying to think about how it could be done better.

50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But yet....when I bring up teachers being evaluated, I'm told there's no way to do that.

We keep telling you we are valuated… We’re just telling you getting evaluated for raises becomes difficult. I sort of feel like you think it would not be a lot of raise s going around but quite honestly most teachers are really good at what they do and they would all be making $150,000 a year.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh...I know.  That's BS.  But, you know what?  There were a hell of a lot of kids that didn't act up in class because they didn't want to be sent to the hole.

I totally agree… I wish there was more Real consequences for kids that

act up

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I have not won that!  But I did win Teacher of the Month!

I think there is this weird idea that there are a ton of "bad teachers" there isn't.  Most teachers that hate it or are bad leave by the 3rd year, statistically speaking.

I think what you are seeing is that were are tons of great teachers that teach...but lots of kids that ruin classes and some parents that are insane.

Agreed on the last point for sure, but I gave 3 examples earlier in this thread of a teacher that lasted decades and had no business teaching.... two more that were let go from my kids charter. Had that been a public school I am not sure that would happen.

49 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I totally agree… I wish there was more Real consequences for kids that

act up

I have a good friend that at one time, he was second in the nation at Div II wrestling. He became a shop teacher. He couldn’t stand some kids.  One day, jacka$$ was acting up. He said if he doesn’t stop, he’s going to go get his mom and she can deal with him. The kid dared him to get by him to the door. The kid ended up flat on his back on top of the table….very quickly. He turned to the other kids and said , if anyone f  oh es anything while I’m gone, you’re next. 

He left, got in his car, drove to his moms office and explained what the kid was doing. She came back to class with him and chewed his a$$ I. Front of all the other kids. And, he didn’t get in trouble. 

the kid wasn’t a problem from then on out. This was in the 80s. 

he left teaching a few years later and was very successful farming. 

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, teachercd said:

We keep telling you we are valuated… We’re just telling you getting evaluated for raises becomes difficult. I sort of feel like you think it would not be a lot of raise s going around but quite honestly most teachers are really good at what they do and they would all be making $150,000 a year.

Ok….if good teachers are ok with getting paid the same as bad teachers, I guess that’s fine. I wouldn’t like that though. 

My son's fifth grade class had a kid who was a constant disruption. Not aggressive or even creepy, he just refused to do anything asked of him. The parents -- who weren't necessarily bad people -- were appraised of the situation, the principal was on top of all this and various disciplines were tried. But he wouldn't change and they couldn't or wouldn't send him home. For most of the year, they simply gave this kid his own corner of the classroom to lay around in and talk to himself. He didn't have to do any of the work the other kids were doing, and the other kids were okay with that. This class had a great teacher, and she just decided this kid wasn't going to ruin things for everyone else. They learned to ignore him, A weird call, but the right call. 

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My son's fifth grade class had a kid who was a constant disruption. Not aggressive or even creepy, he just refused to do anything asked of him. The parents -- who weren't necessarily bad people -- were appraised of the situation, the principal was on top of all this and various disciplines were tried. But he wouldn't change and they couldn't or wouldn't send him home. For most of the year, they simply gave this kid his own corner of the classroom to lay around in and talk to himself. He didn't have to do any of the work the other kids were doing, and the other kids were okay with that. This class had a great teacher, and she just decided this kid wasn't going to ruin things for everyone else. They learned to ignore him, A weird call, but the right call. 

So, was he just passed on to the next grade?

1 hour ago, nic said:

Agreed on the last point for sure, but I gave 3 examples earlier in this thread of a teacher that lasted decades and had no business teaching.... two more that were let go from my kids charter. Had that been a public school I am not sure that would happen.

Charter schools are a bit odd at times.  With who they hire.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Exactly… I still find it weird that there’s like this thought process that teachers are not getting constantly observed and evaluated.

I am also talking about paying the good teachers more and the lower performing teachers less, which would require some evaluation to decide. It may be that a teacher is fine but some are stellar and should be compensated more in my opinion. Does this happen or is it based on seniority? I suspect removal of a really bad teacher could happen.

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Charter schools are a bit odd at times.  With who they hire.

Agreed. We have lived it. The principal that started the charter we attended was a genius at recognizing talent right out of college. He was also great at starting charters and staffing them. He never stayed more the three years anywhere however. after he left some of the staff left with him. The replacements were not all good, but they adjusted quickly.