8 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Our children are at risk.  8 minutes.  No desire to fight or argue.   Zero.  None.  Can we find common ground?   I'll "@" because this is not about any gender, race, or creed.  This is about good and evil and a collective fight.  

@ZRod

@Lorewarn

@knapplc

@BigRedBuster

@funhusker

@Guy Chamberlin

You are very good at going out and finding one odd teacher that probably did something they shouldn’t have and creating this whole narrative of all our kids are in danger. 

Sorry….I’m not going to fall into that when the vast majority of our kids going through public schools don’t have a teacher that does that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yes, children are at risk. Any of these teachers might one day have them write inappropriate sex-related content, and then that teacher is put on leave with his fate to be determined, which is what happened here.

Maybe we shouldn’t arm them. 

Anyhow, what the 11 year old read in the clip you posted was not explicit. Try Clan of the Cave Bear or 1984. I don’t know what ages his school was for but the way my sibling parents is the kids ask whether they’re old enough to read books/movies and then they look into them and decide. I guess we should just get rid of libraries in schools altogether instead of parents and their kids coming up with an agreement on how this should work. Not every parent is going to agree and having one parent who wants to ban everything that mentions sex getting their way is not the solution.

I'm good to disagree with the importance of exposing 11 year olds to sexually explicit content that has zero to do with education.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You are very good at going out and finding one odd teacher that probably did something they shouldn’t have and creating this whole narrative of all our kids are in danger. 

Sorry….I’m not going to fall into that when the vast majority of our kids going through public schools don’t have a teacher that does that. 

One teacher impacts dozens and dozens of children in a school year.  Now extrapolate that over a three, six, fifteen year teaching career.  I'm good to find common ground that teachers who do this are reprehensible.  

Your comment sounds very similar to an argument on a different topic where the vast majority aren't mentally or morally ill to a degree of infringing/perpetrating someone else's life.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Good to know your line in the sand.

Plenty of others are picking up their shields to defend children on this front.

I say give ‘em all a Hustler magazine and an AR-15 and let God and the Devil duke it out.

People are messed up.  Get used to it.

If we’re talking about taking away books, drag shows, sex ed, etc; why the hell are we not talking about taking away guns.

Sorry if I don’t take your contributions here seriously.  

Please don’t “@“ me anymore.  It isn’t going to go anywhere good.

• Plus1 3

31 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I'm good to disagree with the importance of exposing 11 year olds to sexually explicit content that has zero to do with education.  

At what age should someone be allowed to learn about sex?

23 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I say give ‘em all a Hustler magazine and an AR-15 and let God and the Devil duke it out.

People are messed up.  Get used to it.

If we’re talking about taking away books, drag shows, sex ed, etc; why the hell are we not talking about taking away guns.

Sorry if I don’t take your contributions here seriously.  

Please don’t “@“ me anymore.  It isn’t going to go anywhere good.

Guns don't corrupt people.  Mentally/morally deviant teachers and books with sexually explicit content given to nine years olds could to a further degree than already inherent in us all. 

Evil is indeed real.  That fact shouldn't lead to a consigned approach to a deviant's imposition on children.  Those trajectories can lead to terrible things happening.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, DefenderAO said:

Guns don't corrupt people.  Mentally/morally deviant teachers and books with sexually explicit content given to nine years olds could to a further degree than already inherent in us all. 

Evil is indeed real.  That fact shouldn't lead to a consigned approach to a deviant's imposition on children.  Those trajectories can lead to terrible things happening.  

I played GTA3 everyday before middle school and I've never had sex with a hooker, killed them after and took my money back, stole a car, dealt drugs, ran over a pedestrian, killed cops, or terrorized a major city in a tank.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, ZRod said:

At what age should someone be allowed to learn about sex?

Learn about sexual anatomy from an educational and scientific perspective or be exposed to explicit content with very little scientific educational value?  We're discussing the latter.  Parents should be the guide for exposure to the latter.  

On the other side, completely disregarding or ignoring it creates its own problems and issues.  At 11, I'd contend conversations about what Sex Ed may be teaching would be good, but graphic books about how to make little Jenny orgasm at the park serve no healthy purpose for kids of a younger age.  I'm not sure the exact age where it's more universally "too young" vs moving to "guided based upon parents/individuals."  

For the strictly educational side, 7th grade seems to be near the standard.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Learn about sexual anatomy from an educational and scientific perspective or be exposed to explicit content with very little scientific educational value?  We're discussing the latter.  Parents should be the guide for exposure to the latter.  

On the other side, completely disregarding or ignoring it creates its own problems and issues.  At 11, I'd contend conversations about what Sex Ed may be teaching would be good, but graphic books about how to make little Jenny orgasm at the park serve no healthy purpose for kids of a younger age.  I'm not sure the exact age where it's more universally "too young" vs moving to "guided based upon parents/individuals."  

For the strictly educational side, 7th grade seems to be near the standard.

Right, so disregarding the fact that some girls will have already had their period and began to develop breasts by 7th grade...  we can get rid of all those books with explicit sexual imagery then (written or graphical)?

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Right, so disregarding the fact that some girls will have already had their period and began to develop breasts by 7th grade...  we can get rid of all those books with explicit sexual imagery then (written or graphical)?

Do you think it's an educational imperative for these 11 year olds to know where, and how to kiss on and touch each other?   That's the Sex Ed content you want your little ones exposed to?  

I'm fine, in Sex Ed, for children to know anatomical parts of the body.  That seems much more appropriate than how to touch someone in certain areas while kissing other areas...championed by adults.  

That's not educational.  That's sickness.  

• TBH 1
10 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Do you think it's an educational imperative for these 11 year olds to know where, and how to kiss on and touch each other?   That's the Sex Ed content you want your little ones exposed to?  

I'm fine, in Sex Ed, for children to know anatomical parts of the body.  That seems much more appropriate than how to touch someone in certain areas while kissing other areas...championed by adults.  

That's not educational.  That's sickness.  

So, ban all books with sexually explicit imagery, no? And should students be allowed to bring these books in themselves? Have them in the bag or on their person?

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, ZRod said:

So, ban all books with sexually explicit imagery, no?

Put them all in elementary libraries for the most prime, early exposure?  Pre-K?  

To state again, parent-guided conversations as kids grow is ideal.  

Adults can do what they want for themselves here; having grown in an environment where parents are engaged and available to discuss it with them as kids sets those now-adults up to make good decisions.

EDIT: Where do you, as an adult, find it valuable for 10-11 year olds to be exposed to this material?   "She's not reacting to you here, try touching there, like this, to get things going."  That's Sex Ed to you?

EDIT 2: Seeing your edit.  If this is the way parents want to raise their children, that is their prerogative.  Similar to completely shielding them from all this material (also disagree with that stance).  Parents' choice.  The schools' edginess on these fronts create more harm than good the way I see it.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

One teacher impacts dozens and dozens of children in a school year.  Now extrapolate that over a three, six, fifteen year teaching career.  I'm good to find common ground that teachers who do this are reprehensible.  

Your comment sounds very similar to an argument on a different topic where the vast majority aren't mentally or morally ill to a degree of infringing/perpetrating someone else's life.  

Seriously, what is your solution for this teacher? He did something he wasn’t supposed to and was put on leave. How would you have prevented this?

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

EDIT: Where do you, as an adult, find it valuable for 10-11 year olds to be exposed to this material?   "She's not reacting to you here, try touching there, like this, to get things going."  That's Sex Ed to you?

What book is this?

• Oh Yeah! 1