5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Seriously, what is your solution for this teacher? He did something he wasn’t supposed to and was put on leave. How would you have prevented this?

Handled correctly but too reactive.  Policies in place gave the allowance for it to happen.  This isn't educational material...

Curious what would have happened had it not been exposed.  Is it up to the parents to police or have the oversight concern?

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Our children are at risk.  8 minutes.  No desire to fight or argue.   Zero.  None.  Can we find common ground?   I'll "@" because this is not about any gender, race, or creed.  This is about good and evil and a collective fight.  

@ZRod

@Lorewarn

@knapplc

@BigRedBuster

@funhusker

@Guy Chamberlin

Dude, you have tons of common ground here. Not sure I know anyone who would defend this particular teacher's choices, and I'm guessing it's not just one brave parent who said "are you kidding me?" My cohort of liberal parents called out a middle school teacher who appeared to be grooming select girls after class, and he got fired, just like this guy. 

Speaking strictly for myself, I'm also not comfortable with 13 years olds being celebrated for acting out in sexualized drag, much the way I find the whole Toddlers & Tiaras beauty paegents creepy.  I do think there's a double-standard that makes people more afraid to criticize an LGBT narrative, lest they be accused of homophobia, but we're in the middle of a big pendulum swing that should work itself out. A lot has changed in less than a generation. 

Again, I think a lot of folks would agree with the outraged man in this video, but he is also looking to monetize his YouTube channel, and his heavily selling this to people like you who believe themselves soldiers in a culture war. But if the system calls out and punishes this teacher, didn't it work as it should? 

Sex ed is a different thing. It's always going to be broader, more detailed and more factual than some parents like. Other parents really appreciate the school having the conversation for them. Kids appreciate a forum to ask really awkward questions. In every case the parent can opt out of sex ed at school, and offer their own version of human sexuality at home. No educator can recruit a kid to change their sexual preference, they can simply let them know they are not alone or unnatural in their feelings. For many kids over the centuries the alternative was suicide. I assume you vote for people who share your values, which is why I'm saying your "homosexuals can know no joy" morality hurts others. 

You seem to equate morality exclusively with sexuality, and I'm afraid to tell you missionary-position sex among married heterosexuals isn't going to carry the day. And the selective silence among many of your moral brethren regarding violence and human subjugation strikes a lot of us as wildly hypocritical.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Dude, you have tons of common ground here. Not sure I know anyone who would defend this particular teacher's choices, and I'm guessing it's not just one brave parent who said "are you kidding me?" My cohort of liberal parents called out a middle school teacher who appeared to be grooming select girls after class, and he got fired, just like this guy. 

Speaking strictly for myself, I'm also not comfortable with 13 years olds being celebrated for acting out in sexualized drag, much the way I find the whole Toddlers & Tiaras beauty paegents creepy.  I do think there's a double-standard that makes people more afraid to criticize an LGBT narrative, lest they be accused of homophobia, but we're in the middle of a big pendulum swing that should work itself out. A lot has changed in less than a generation. 

Again, I think a lot of folks would agree with the outraged man in this video, but he is also looking to monetize his YouTube channel, and his heavily selling this to people like you who believe themselves soldiers in a culture war. But if the system calls out and punishes this teacher, didn't it work as it should? 

Sex ed is a different thing. It's always going to be broader, more detailed and more factual than some parents like. Other parents really appreciate the school having the conversation for them. Kids appreciate a forum to ask really awkward questions. In every case the parent can opt out of sex ed at school, and offer their own version of human sexuality at home. No educator can recruit a kid to change their sexual preference, they can simply let them know they are not alone or unnatural in their feelings. For many kids over the centuries the alternative was suicide. I assume you vote for people who share your values, which is why I'm saying your "homosexuals can know no joy" morality hurts others. 

You seem to equate morality exclusively with sexuality, and I'm afraid to tell you missionary-position sex among married heterosexuals isn't going to carry the day. And the selective silence among many of your moral brethren regarding violence and human subjugation strikes a lot of us as wildly hypocritical.

I'm aligned with much of what you stated in the first four paragraphs.  I get this point and realize different parents have different availability or comfort levels, and (as you see) the content I highlighted has nothing to do with education.  Opt-out is good if the parents want a different route, and opt-in to have kids exposed to sexually charged graphic novels is a parental decision for their kids...but should not be a school-mediated (much less championed) thing.    

For the fifth, sexuality seems to be a prominent topic.  We live in a hyper-sexualized time, and by no accident.  It's all over the educational system from what pronoun to what bathroom.   It's also relevant in some significant tragedies that also cross religious / lifestyle divides.  Straight, sociopathic sick male targeting homosexuals at a bar.  Trans, sociopathic sick woman targeting children at a Christian school.  

I've also repeatedly mentioned cultural issues, propagated by certain policy, that point to moral decay and tragic outcomes.  They're not exempt from the conversation but are a more relevant point in the Gun Control thread.  

Morality is an umbrella where topics like sexuality pop up.  And when you then collide this with educational standards and norms, there's significant tension. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

One teacher impacts dozens and dozens of children in a school year.  Now extrapolate that over a three, six, fifteen year teaching career.  I'm good to find common ground that teachers who do this are reprehensible.  

Your comment sounds very similar to an argument on a different topic where the vast majority aren't mentally or morally ill to a degree of infringing/perpetrating someone else's life.  

LOL….they did it and hot suspended. 

You act like this is condoned by the school and part of the curriculum they promote.  

the teacher is gone and punished. I’m guessing the students are having a pretty good laugh about this. Then, they will laugh about it at every class reunion. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

LOL….they did it and hot suspended. 

You act like this is condoned by the school and part of the curriculum they promote.  

the teacher is gone and punished. I’m guessing the students are having a pretty good laugh about this. Then, they will laugh about it at every class reunion. 

Good.  Suspended, fired, and losing any license to teach is the play.   I'd also investigate if any further abuse or issues occurred with the kids.

Suspended when?  After the school/board took the initiative and brought it to the parents?   Doesn't seem so.  What was the teacher's tenure prior to being removed?   One week?  Eight years?

I'd contend a graphic novel detailing early teens sexual experiences, in libraries 11 year olds access, is no accident.  They don't display themselves on shelf ends.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Put them all in elementary libraries for the most prime, early exposure?  Pre-K?  

To state again, parent-guided conversations as kids grow is ideal.  

Adults can do what they want for themselves here; having grown in an environment where parents are engaged and available to discuss it with them as kids sets those now-adults up to make good decisions.

EDIT: Where do you, as an adult, find it valuable for 10-11 year olds to be exposed to this material?   "She's not reacting to you here, try touching there, like this, to get things going."  That's Sex Ed to you?

EDIT 2: Seeing you edit.  If this is the way parents want to raise their children, that is their prerogative.  Similar to completely shielding them from all this material (also disagree with that stance).  Parents' choice.  The schools' edginess on these fronts creat more harm than good the way I see it.  

Ban books with sexually explicit material from public schools, yes or no? If yes, then for all grades or would it be allowable for some age group?

3 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Handled correctly but too reactive.  Policies in place gave the allowance for it to happen.  This isn't educational material...

What specific policy allowed it to happen?

24 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Ban books with sexually explicit material from public schools, yes or no? If yes, then for all grades or would it be allowable for some age group?

What specific policy allowed it to happen?

Make your direct, one-liner statement as to the necessity of sexually explicit material in elementary and Jr High public schools.

If not a district policy, then get tighter during lesson planning and teacher discussions on how we're going to mold kids to have positive impact on the world.  

What additive policy would you propose to ensure the availability of this type of material for young ones.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I mean who didn't get busted at age 10 trying to shoplift Hustler at the local drug store back in the day?

Me!   I was all about Penthouse for the "Forum"   :lol:

Plus it was very educational working on my reading skills and my multi-tasking skills.

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

Make your direct, one-liner statement as to the necessity of sexually explicit material in elementary and Jr High public schools.

Are you advocating to ban books with sexual explicit imagery, yes or no? If yes, then is it for all grades and ages or would it be allowable at some age?

If not a district policy, then get tighter during lesson planning and teacher discussions on how we're going to mold kids to have positive impact on the world.  

I'm pretty certain every teacher has to submit their lesson plans for the week. Which is a pretty significant oversight. However, nothing is ever going to stop them from going off script.

What additive policy would you propose to ensure the availability of this type of material for young ones.

Wat???

• TBH 1
5 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Curious what would have happened had it not been exposed.  Is it up to the parents to police or have the oversight concern?

What policies are you referring to? How should they change?

8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Are you advocating to ban books with sexual explicit imagery, yes or no? If yes, then is it for all grades and ages or would it be allowable at some age?

I'm pretty certain every teacher has to submit their lesson plans for the week. Which is a pretty significant oversight. However, nothing is ever going to stop them from going off script.

Wat???

What is your passion for these books?  How do they educate to make young children''s lives make a difference through our educational system?  Would you promote additional policies to ensure we protect this material for our children's edification and educational experience?  

I see no reason for this material before HS.  What is your case it is valuable for Highschool aged kids?   

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What policies are you referring to? How should they change?

1. Ensure explicit sexual material is not in elementary and jr high libraries as there is no intrinsic educational value for that age.  

2. Enforce lesson plan guidelines/guardrails on how the material is being taught

3.Vet sexual deviants and predators as prospective teachers better

4. Comms policy on the trimester/annual curriculum to include projects and lesson details

5. Emphasize an open door policy for parents and students for any rogue teachers going off script 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3