53 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

As lazy and disingenuous as asserting police officers are disturbed given their infatuation with crime. 

:lol:

Wow, you must've worked all night on that response. Considering you're quoting it now and it wasn't even the last post in the thread. For police officers, its their chosen profession to combat crime, you seem infatuated with this subject, and clearly unable to let go. 

Good-one GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Wow, you must've worked all night on that response. Considering you're quoting it now and it wasn't even the last post in the thread. For police officers, its their chosen profession to combat crime, you seem infatuated with this subject, and clearly unable to let go. 

Good-one GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

The tolerance of young children being exposed to trash, in public schools, is the disturbance. 

You’re more interesting with your pocket thesaurus at the ready.  It showed effort.  Your latest attempts aren’t worth any thought exercise. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

"Just one kid" rings true for a couple of contentious topics right now.

So, the logic differs depending on the topic at hand?

Statistically I don't think this is near as big a deal as you're making it. I'm 100% sure there's policy in place to prevent these types of materials from getting into schools, but again the human factor always comes into play. I'm also 100% sure there is no policy pushing to get these types of things into our schools on purpose.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

So, the logic differs depending on the topic at hand?

Statistically I don't think this is near as big a deal as you're making it. I'm 100% sure there's policy in place to prevent these types of materials from getting into schools, but again the human factor always comes into play. I'm also 100% sure there is no policy pushing to get these types of things into our schools on purpose.

You could look on Youtube alone, highly censored itself, and find numerous parent-school board meetings where parents are rightly concerned and addressing issues.  Too many.

Like the other thread, we each believe the other is addressing a statistical anomaly vs what the data says.  We are alike there, but opposite topics.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

You could look on Youtube alone, highly censored itself, and find numerous parent-school board meetings where parents are rightly concerned and addressing issues.  Too many.

Like the other thread, we each believe the other is addressing a statistical anomaly vs what the data says.  We are alike there, but opposite topics.

Yeah, the other thread isn't a statistical anomaly, you're just choosing to look at a broad set of data rather than a subset that causes the absolute worst outcomes.

Show me the policy that is forcing these books into our schools, or show me the specific lax policies that are allowing these books to make it into our schools? Then show me your outrage at these books being available 20 years ago when it wasn't gay sex.

Point being; I guess I find your selective outrage and flip floppy use of statistics to justify it as hypocritical at best, and vaguely homophobic at worst.

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

The tolerance of young children being exposed to trash, in public schools, is the disturbance. 

You’re more interesting with your pocket thesaurus at the ready.  It showed effort.  Your latest attempts aren’t worth any thought exercise. 

Your thoughts on the subject are elementary at best. I meant it when I said I've read your drivel, and am not interested in discussing your point of view. You have not defined what you refer to as "trash," not provided any thought of a machinery or process by which decisions as to what is "trash" are made to prevent them from being in schools (except for, as has been pointed out, those that are already in existence), and provided not one iota of policy suggestions, or evidence that what you are discussing is even a problem. Perhaps you should focus more on the abuse that occurs in religious settings and private schools. 

Your entire argument is based on fear mongering, rhetoric and an infatuation in discussing children and sexual content in the same vein of thought. That the few solutions you proposed for your assumed position already exist and have been implemented suggests you have a general lack of subject matter knowledge.  My initial response to you discussed historical attempts to demonize and ban players of the board game Dungeons and Dragons, The Simpsons, South Park, and more. You ignored the entirety of my statement and redirected to children and sexual content, repeatedly. I made it clear that I was uninterested in continuing the conversation with you as your ramblings are based on nothing more than regurgitated talking points and empty rhetoric, which you have and will continue to recycle repeatedly in spite of all evidence and discussion that refutes your nonsense. You're not here for debate and conversation, you're here to get your rocks off shouting into the wind in a sad attempt at being a provocateur. 

Your posts reek of a desperate need for engagement and recognition of your assumed supreme intelligence, which frankly has not, throughout any of your posts, been illustrated. Perhaps I'll respond in a manner that would require your "thought exercise," when you exhibit through your posted content any ability to exercise thought. 

I will gladly, however, accept your complement of my vocabulary. It comes in handy when dealing with overzealous, want-to-be provocateurs, who think they're the most intelligent individual in any conversation. Now I'll pre-empt your response attempting to justify your highly inflated thought of debating skills by simply stating - "I don't care. The content of your posts and the manner in which you choose to convey your thoughts and positions have been weighed, measured and found to be lacking." I'll also help you tee up your next response which will likely be some form of personal attack or a version of "I know you are but what am I." - Since you've proven you cannot help but engage, I challenge you to not respond to this post, since I've already indicated I'm no longer interested in engaging with you on this subject matter. 

I look forward to your future posts, and while your posts on this subject seem to be lacking, I am sure your heart is in the right place and you are an excellent individual. Anything you might take personal offense to is directly solely toward the content of your posts and not the amazing individual you are. Have an amazing rest of your day. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Yeah, the other thread isn't a statistical anomaly, you're just choosing to look at a broad set of data rather than a subset that causes the absolute worst outcomes.

Show me the policy that is forcing these books into our schools, or show me the specific lax policies that are allowing these books to make it into our schools? Then show me your outrage at these books being available 20 years ago when it wasn't gay sex.

Point being; I guess I find your selective outrage and flip floppy use of statistics to justify it as hypocritical at best, and vaguely homophobic at worst.

We'll discuss misnomers for the other topic over there.  Neither of us are shirking from that topic. 

The district policies in place now aren't stopping the occurrences, which are so anomalous to you they're statistically irrelevant.   The material isn't climbing itself onto display stands.  An unwell person put it there, and with advocacy as people in this thread have stated it isn't that bad or explicit.  

Unwell people will do unwell things.  Similar to the other thread, if there are policies that will curb/protect, let's look at it.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

This is a ridiculous argument. You're asserting that these parents are right, but in reality they're just people. And if you watch even a few of those meetings, you'll discover they are parents just jumping to conclusions much like you are.

There's video of parents at school board meetings concerned that the school is teaching about the earth being a globe instead of flat. There's no reason to believe these people.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Your thoughts on the subject are elementary at best. I meant it when I said I've read your drivel, and am not interested in discussing your point of view. You have not defined what you refer to as "trash," not provided any thought of a machinery or process by which decisions as to what is "trash" are made to prevent them from being in schools (except for, as has been pointed out, those that are already in existence), and provided not one iota of policy suggestions, or evidence that what you are discussing is even a problem. Perhaps you should focus more on the abuse that occurs in religious settings and private schools. 

Your entire argument is based on fear mongering, rhetoric and an infatuation in discussing children and sexual content in the same vein of thought. That the few solutions you proposed for your assumed position already exist and have been implemented suggests you have a general lack of subject matter knowledge.  My initial response to you discussed historical attempts to demonize and ban players of the board game Dungeons and Dragons, The Simpsons, South Park, and more. You ignored the entirety of my statement and redirected to children and sexual content, repeatedly. I made it clear that I was uninterested in continuing the conversation with you as your ramblings are based on nothing more than regurgitated talking points and empty rhetoric, which you have and will continue to recycle repeatedly in spite of all evidence and discussion that refutes your nonsense. You're not here for debate and conversation, you're here to get your rocks off shouting into the wind in a sad attempt at being a provocateur. 

Your posts reek of a desperate need for engagement and recognition of your assumed supreme intelligence, which frankly has not, throughout any of your posts, been illustrated. Perhaps I'll respond in a manner that would require your "thought exercise," when you exhibit through your posted content any ability to exercise thought. 

I will gladly, however, accept your complement of my vocabulary. It comes in handy when dealing with overzealous, want-to-be provocateurs, who think they're the most intelligent individual in any conversation. Now I'll pre-empt your response attempting to justify your highly inflated thought of debating skills by simply stating - "I don't care. The content of your posts and the manner in which you choose to convey your thoughts and positions have been weighed, measured and found to be lacking." I'll also help you tee up your next response which will likely be some form of personal attack or a version of "I know you are but what am I." - Since you've proven you cannot help but engage, I challenge you to not respond to this post, since I've already indicated I'm no longer interested in engaging with you on this subject matter. 

I look forward to your future posts, and while your posts on this subject seem to be lacking, I am sure your heart is in the right place and you are an excellent individual. Anything you might take personal offense to is directly solely toward the content of your posts and not the amazing individual you are. Have an amazing rest of your day. 

Why not respond?  I enjoy the position-sharpening through the back-and-forth.  I'll fail your challenge to continue to clarify, and I do read your responses with interest to a. ensure they're represented rightly and b. further understand your position.

A Ted Lasso meme with the content above would've been killer.  A player's coach, looking to improve others, on a sports-dominated site...:)

Trash - sexually explicit material, exampled by some links I provided early, which pre-teens had access to.  In one case, an adult asked if the 11 year old would like an additive graphic novel to accompany the book.  Maybe "trash" isn't strongly connotative enough.  

Is abuse in the education system better than abuse in other forums?  Teachers molesting minors worse than the clergy doing so?  Same filth, different medium.  

What did your D&D and Simpsons example have to do with educational content?   I likely didn't address as I didn't see its relevance.  I don't recall.

Thanks for the well-wishes.  Enjoy your day too.  :cheers

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is a ridiculous argument. You're asserting that these parents are right, but in reality they're just people. And if you watch even a few of those meetings, you'll discover they are parents just jumping to conclusions much like you are.

There's video of parents at school board meetings concerned that the school is teaching about the earth being a globe instead of flat. There's no reason to believe these people.

The parents are outraged at the material their kids have access to.  Who knows best for their kids?  The state?  For their household situation, they could've pulled their kids out of the school district and found a better option.  

The videos are shortened for some of those Youtube clips; difficult to substantiate what the parents are appalled by.  However, their outrage, whether others would validate or not, can serve at least three purposes:

1. Understand how it happened

2. Bring awareness to other parents/families this may be happening more than known

3. Pull their kids or not based upon responses

in some of the cases, the offending teacher suspended was the right call IMO.  Teaching license suspended too?  

Wait.

The world isn't flat?  :o

;)

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And once again we all see what happens when we let non-educators get involved with education.  

Also, Knibb High Football Rules!

I was wondering when you would finally chime in. 

Exactly how many Jugs magazines would you say you hand out to students each week?

• Haha 1