5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Do you have a photo of the "adoption"?

This picture doesn't mean anything on it's own.

And yes, teachers can quit unions and keep their jobs.  If the NEA ever did this, I would.   I'm thinking about leaving the union anyways...

Most new teachers don't even realize they are signing up! Ha ha

59 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Difficult to determine whether this is more appropriate for Leftist Utopia or Education thread.   

It can sit in its own mire in both.  Good on the kids to have rightful recognition...

This is why we don't want phones in classrooms!!!

Dang it!  They're on to us guys!!!!!

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

It's hard to make any meaningful determinations about an :11 second long clip either in defense or attack in good faith.

That being said, the "minor attracted persons" language is not anything I take issue with whatsoever as someone who also finds sexual abuse of children to be one of the most absolutely abhorrent things on the planet. 

This language is an attempt to help a specific group of people who are attracted to children (for whatever reason), and also recognize that as some form of evil and are determined to fight themselves in that regard and never act on it. I know people this applies to in real actual life. It's a shameful hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. I don't care or hold it against anyone to lump them in with actual offenders via usage of the term pedophile, but I also don't see why anyone would be actively opposed to the introduction of more nuanced language either.

These same folks are also trying to live a life with the most dignity and least shame they possibly can, which isn't much; constantly hoping to not be seen by the world and by themselves as monsters.. Anyone that takes issue with people trying to not abuse children, well... that's a wild stance to take. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

It's hard to make any meaningful determinations about an :11 second long clip either in defense or attack in good faith.

That being said, the "minor attracted persons" language is not anything I take issue with whatsoever as someone who also finds sexual abuse of children to be one of the most absolutely abhorrent things on the planet. 

This language is an attempt to help a specific group of people who are attracted to children (for whatever reason), and also recognize that as some form of evil and are determined to fight themselves in that regard and never act on it. I know people this applies to in real actual life. It's a shameful hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. I don't care or hold it against anyone to lump them in with actual offenders via usage of the term pedophile, but I also don't see why anyone would be actively opposed to the introduction of more nuanced language either.

These same folks are also trying to live a life with the most dignity and least shame they possibly can, which isn't much; constantly hoping to not be seen by the world and by themselves as monsters.. Anyone that takes issue with people trying to not abuse children, well... that's a wild stance to take. 

Are you saying that people can't help who they "like" and therefor they can't help who they "dislike"?

In other words, it is not a choice?  Because I don't think that will go the way you want it to go.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
17 hours ago, funhusker said:

This is why we don't want phones in classrooms!!!

Dang it!  They're on to us guys!!!!!

I can remember the good old days of teaching where the only thing I worried about was if the video (that I did no pre-screen) had a swear word in it or not.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Are you saying that people can't help who they "like" and therefor they can't help who they "dislike"?

In other words, it is not a choice?  Because I don't think that will go the way you want it to go.

Actually, yeah. That's probably the case. No one is going to like the ramifications but the evidence suggests sexual preference, including fetishes, follows statistical patterns across cultures and histories. Minority preferences tend to get vilified. When the issue is consent, as it is with pedophilia or any abuse situation, that preference deservedly becomes a crime. Some obviously control it better than others, and that's the real choice. Some say they would accept castration if it would end the urge. It's not a happy life and no one would choose it.  

Can't wait for your disbelieving response. 

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Are you saying that pedophiles chose to be attracted to kids just for kicks?

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Actually, yeah. That's probably the case. No one is going to like the ramifications but the evidence suggests sexual preference, including fetishes, follows statistical patterns across cultures and histories. Minority preferences tend to get vilified. When the issue is consent, as it is with pedophilia or any abuse situation, that preference deservedly becomes a crime. Some obviously control it better than others, and that's the real choice. Some say they would accept castration if it would end the urge. It's not a happy life and no one would choose it.  

Why don’t they just identify as a non minor attracted person and let it be so.    That’s a thing now I heard, that you can just identify as whatever you want and you are automatically it.   

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So we are in a sense, hardwired, as to who we like and don't like.

Because if you are wired to like, it would make sense that you are also wired to not like.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Are you saying that pedophiles chose to be attracted to kids just for kicks?

I don't give a f#&% about them at all.

I am saying that it appears you are saying that we as people can't choose who we like or dislike.  So if someone were to "not like" a certain group of people, it would not be their fault, just like it is not the fault of a grown up that is attracted to kids.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, teachercd said:

So we are in a sense, hardwired, as to who we like and don't like.

That appears to be the case, just as we are hardwired to hate cilantro and struggle with math. 

There's still free will involved, but people start with different baselines.