20 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

An article I just read piqued my interest in education reform here.

I know I've heard others say they're not fans of free college. I get it. It actually works in some European countries quite well, but it would be a bear to implement here and would require a lot of planning. Obviously Republicans would never go for it.

Here's what I think is a reasonable middle ground: reduce interest rates on all federal student loans to the lowest current amount (heck, I'd sure take more attractive debt forgiveness arrangements as well), free community college, reduced tuition rates for 4 year schools.

Would that appeal to some of the more moderate or independent folks around here?

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:25 PM, Danny Bateman said:

An article I just read piqued my interest in education reform here.

I know I've heard others say they're not fans of free college. I get it. It actually works in some European countries quite well, but it would be a bear to implement here and would require a lot of planning. Obviously Republicans would never go for it.

Here's what I think is a reasonable middle ground: reduce interest rates on all federal student loans to the lowest current amount (heck, I'd sure take more attractive debt forgiveness arrangements as well), free community college, reduced tuition rates for 4 year schools.

Would that appeal to some of the more moderate or independent folks around here?

I'm not sure I'm considered 'more moderate or independent' but I'll give my opinion.   Why even charge interest on student loans?   Why not just have federal student loans at 0% interest, while still reducing the cost of tuition to trade schools, community colleges, traditional colleges/universities?  That will greatly help reduce after college expenses where 18 year olds don't realize they are getting into some predatory loans.   For repayment, if payments are missed or behind, any federal tax refund is held and applied to past due loan payments.   If no refund, hit their UBI after Yang becomes president.  :D

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Sen Warren proposes that the govt forgive student loan debt of up to $50k if the former student makes under $100k/year.  It is prorated if you make over $100k up to $250k/year.

I agree that something has to be done.  Like immigration, health care, our secondary school system needs to be 'redesigned' for current realities.  We were fortunate, both or our sons were pretty smart (one a national merit scholar) and got outstanding grants at a great college.  There was no way we could afford the same school and debt would have saddled them for years and years. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/warren-student-loans-121342487.html

Also another longshot presidential candidate proposes a more radical plan - forgive all US govt back school debt.  $1.5 trillion

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/student-debt-cancel-wayne-messam-124020955.html

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Sen Warren proposes that the govt forgive student loan debt of up to $50k if the former student makes under $100k/year.  It is prorated if you make over $100k up to $250k/year.

I agree that something has to be done.  Like immigration, health care, our secondary school system needs to be 'redesigned' for current realities.  We were fortunate, both or our sons were pretty smart (one a national merit scholar) and got outstanding grants at a great college.  There was no way we could afford the same school and debt would have saddled them for years and years. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/warren-student-loans-121342487.html

Also another longshot presidential candidate proposes a more radical plan - forgive all US govt back school debt.  $1.5 trillion

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/student-debt-cancel-wayne-messam-124020955.html

Ive been saying it for months now, as the older generations start to die off and younger generations have so much debt where they cant help the economy, eventually its going to be bad for everyone.  A stimulus like this would be radical, but the end result will help the economy more than hurt it. 

• Plus1 3
52 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Ive been saying it for months now, as the older generations start to die off and younger generations have so much debt where they cant help the economy, eventually its going to be bad for everyone.  A stimulus like this would be radical, but the end result will help the economy more than hurt it. 

And all we have to do to pay for it as some have said is to print more money.    

The way I look at it is we have 5 major domestic issues that cannot keep kicking the can down the road.    And these major events will affect how we spend money on foreign affair issues. We cannot afford to go around and fight any more needless wars.  We need to be building bridges that reduce the opportunity of war instead of ticking off everyone.  We can't afford the price tag of being the world's policeman forever. 

5 domestic areas that I think we need new approaches on and innovative ideas to solve

1.  Immigration reform - the aging of America forces us to increase the labor pool.  We need immigrants

2. Secondary Ed:  In today's digital world why do we keep financing huge expensive campuses.  College debt crushes mobility & creativity of those under its weight.  Our society needs to look at alternative methods of delivering good education. 

3.  Health Care - expense, access, etc

4. Medicare crisis along wt Soc Security funding - for the enlarging group of retiring baby boomer generation this is a big issue and a bigger issue for the younger generation that has to finance it.

5.  Infra-structure - we need to be rebuilding our roads and bridges before we give finance aid to other countries  to rebuild their infrastructure.

Of course others may bring up climate change - but that goes beyond just the USA. 

If a candidate can come up wt innovative ideas for these 5 areas WITHOUT causing us to becoming the next Venezuela - I'm all ears (an no that isn't a reference to Ross Perot to run again).  

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The way I look at it is we have 5 major domestic issues that cannot keep kicking the can down the road.    And these major events will affect how we spend money on foreign affair issues. We cannot afford to go around and fight any more needless wars.  We need to be building bridges that reduce the opportunity of war instead of ticking off everyone.  We can't afford the price tag of being the world's policeman forever. 

5 domestic areas that I think we need new approaches on and innovative ideas to solve

1.  Immigration reform - the aging of America forces us to increase the labor pool.  We need immigrants

2. Secondary Ed:  In today's digital world why do we keep financing huge expensive campuses.  College debt crushes mobility & creativity of those under its weight.  Our society needs to look at alternative methods of delivering good education. 

4. Medicare crisis along wt Soc Security funding - for the enlarging group of retiring baby boomer generation this is a big issue and a bigger issue for the younger generation that has to finance it.

5.  Infra-structure - we need to be rebuilding our roads and bridges before we give finance aid to other countries  to rebuild their infrastructure.

Of course others may bring up climate change - but that goes beyond just the USA. 

If a candidate can come up wt innovative ideas for these 5 areas WITHOUT causing us to becoming the next Venezuela - I'm all ears (an no that isn't a reference to Ross Perot to run again).  

Somebody can correct me, but I think the Green New Deal addresses all of these plus climate change.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

That pretty much sums it up for me.  If you take what we have spent the last 20 years in needless wars around the world, just think what we can do with education (to reduce student debt), infrastructure (which boosts the economy), Healthcare so everyone has access and it's way less expensive.

Actually, you could take changing healthcare so that we pay what the rest of the world does and it would free up so much cash in this country that we could easily pay for a lot of what we went to do.

Trump campaigned on getting us out of these wars.  Problem is, like you said, you can't do it by pissing off everyone else around the world and being a total prick to everyone.

18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The first sentence is probably said tongue in cheek, but of serious, probably not the best idea. A good start would be not giving  Amazon a $129 million tax rebate on $11.2B in profit and Netflix $22 million rebate on $845 million in profits. 

Just now, Frott Scost said:

The first sentence is probably said tongue in cheek, but of serious, probably not the best idea. A good start would be not giving  Amazon a $129 million tax rebate on $11.2B in profit and Netflix $22 million rebate on $845 million in profits. 

maybe a bit of :sarcasm on the first sentence - wasn't it AOC that said that is how we pay for the NGD??  But yes, why amazon and netflix etc get rebates like this is beyond me.

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Somebody can correct me, but I think the Green New Deal addresses all of these plus climate change.

The Green New Deal is a resolution, not a bill. Kind of a guideline to where we want to get to in 10 years and bills will be developed based on this resolution. It does address infrastructure, healthcare and climate change. Not so much immigration and education. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

maybe a bit of :sarcasm on the first sentence - wasn't it AOC that said that is how we pay for the NGD??  But yes, why amazon and netflix etc get rebates like this is beyond me.

Not sure if she said that but I know in one of her interviews on CNN she said it seems like we are only short on money when it comes to healthcare and education for our citizens. But for war and tax cuts for the rich, nobody ever asks “how will we pay for it”.

36 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

33 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

The Green New Deal is a resolution, not a bill. Kind of a guideline to where we want to get to in 10 years and bills will be developed based on this resolution. It does address infrastructure, healthcare and climate change. Not so much immigration and education. 

We've gone over this before.

They get that because of loss carry forward for which should not be changed.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We've gone over this before.

They get that because of loss carry forward for which should not be changed.

I know we have, but I still dont agree with this loophole for businesses that make this amount of money. And thats fine. We agree on a lot but not all.