All Big 10 Awards

spurs1990

14 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Trace McSorley's numbers really werent that great.

Overall in the B1G Mcsorley matched up like this(out of 14)

Finished 8th in QB rating(Martinez-4th)

11th in completion percentage(AM-5th)

8th in yards(AM-6th)

7th in yards per attempt(AM-4)

7th in TD's

Going just by numbers, David Blough probably deserved to be higher. 

image.png.8638126247045ba216fcc03c8bc7a94d.png

You are missing critical stats that are likely holding Martinez back. AM has 12 total fumbles, which is #2 in the nation behind the QB from GT. AM is T-1st nationally for # of lost fumbles with 6.

McSorley has less than 3 or fewer total fumbles (sorry the site I am looking at only lists players with 4 or more).

Martinez was the most productive freshman in the nation this year, but with the number of TO (8 INT, 6 lost fumbles), ball security was an issue.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumbles

• Fire 1

The McSorely award feels more like a career recognition award versus how he did this season.

It might be time for the Big Ten to go to 3 WRs slots for awards season with the way offenses are shifting.

It's a tough call with Stan because you're only competing for one slot because Rondale Moore was a monster this year.  I can't help but feel if Parris Campbell had an Illinois jersey instead of a tOSU one that Stan would've gotten the bump.  I don't have an issue with Tyler Johnson getting first team, he's excellent.

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

You are missing critical stats that are likely holding Martinez back. AM has 12 total fumbles, which is #2 in the nation behind the QB from GT. AM is T-1st nationally for # of lost fumbles with 6.

McSorley has less than 3 or fewer total fumbles (sorry the site I am looking at only lists players with 4 or more).

Martinez was the most productive freshman in the nation this year, but with the number of TO (8 INT, 6 lost fumbles), ball security was an issue.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/fumbles

Not sure I said that AM deserved to be higher than McSorley, I am just saying in comparison McSorleys numbers overall arent that good.

You are reaching pretty far if you are going to "fumbles lost" when talking about a QB. I get the overall turnover stat, but again seems like a stretch when comparing the whole resume.

Still say Blough had a better year. 

19 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Not sure I said that AM deserved to be higher than McSorley, I am just saying in comparison McSorleys numbers overall arent that good.

You are reaching pretty far if you are going to "fumbles lost" when talking about a QB. I get the overall turnover stat, but again seems like a stretch when comparing the whole resume.

Still say Blough had a better year. 

Reaching? Are you saying fumbles lost don't count because he is a QB? If you were talking about Tanner Lee, I would agree. But, the QB running game is a big part of the Nebraska offense and of Martinez's success at his position. I don't see how that is irrelevant. It is actually really ironic the amount of criticism another QB named Martinez got for fumbling at Nebraska, and now, I am accused of "reaching" when I bring it up.

McSorley was not the second best QB in the Big Ten or necessarily better than Martinez. What I am saying is being the #1 or #2 in fumbling is something you have to recognize when evaluating AM's performance on the season.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Should have been Blough on the 2nd team. Patterson on 3rd team makes sense, he was more efficient than Martinez. Martinez would be next in line for me. McSorely might not even be 5th.

I am inclined to agree with your order. It is hard to look at Martinez's productivity this season, especially as a true freshman, as say he was 4th best, but it might be true.

One thing to keep in mind with Martinez is there are 4 coaches who haven’t coached against him and their respective media members may not have watched him much either.

Same thing goes for Bootle.

Even if they try not to make it a career award they would not have spent as much time watching young players simply because they haven’t all played against them. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Reaching? Are you saying fumbles lost don't count because he is a QB? If you were talking about Tanner Lee, I would agree. But, the QB running game is a big part of the Nebraska offense and of Martinez's success at his position. I don't see how that is irrelevant. It is actually really ironic the amount of criticism another QB named Martinez got for fumbling at Nebraska, and now, I am accused of "reaching" when I bring it up.

McSorley was not the second best QB in the Big Ten or necessarily better than Martinez. What I am saying is being the #1 or #2 in fumbling is something you have to recognize when evaluating AM's performance on the season.

I am not saying it isnt relevant stat. I never claimed Martinez was more deserving than McSorley. I said Blough was and the stat you brought up didnt mention him.

Turnovers are obviously an important aspect but when we are taking QB's, i usually think to compare more QB style stats- Completion percentage, TD's, yards, yards per completion and so on. When you bring up fumbles it just seems like a reach.

Again, I used AM as a comparison in showing where McSorley was to keep it Husker related but my point in those stats was to show that McSorley wasnt in the top 3 in most categories. Hence why it was surprising he was named second team all B1G.

26 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Turnovers are obviously an important aspect but when we are taking QB's, i usually think to compare more QB style stats- Completion percentage, TD's, yards, yards per completion and so on. When you bring up fumbles it just seems like a reach.

Again, I used AM as a comparison in showing where McSorley was to keep it Husker related but my point in those stats was to show that McSorley wasnt in the top 3 in most categories. Hence why it was surprising he was named second team all B1G.

I see what you're getting at, but I'm inclined to lean more towards @Thanks_Tom RR's perspective on this just because I think those turnovers as a whole are a pretty critical data point. If memory serves, most of those fumbles happened when he ran the football, and those are opportunities you're blowing for your team. I was super critical of TM back in the day for this same thing - great offensive numbers marred by poor ball security.

That said, I still think it's pretty shocking that AM didn't get any of the top three spots, but it was probably some combination of the team record, his turnovers, and his age that kept him back.

43 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I see what you're getting at, but I'm inclined to lean more towards @Thanks_Tom RR's perspective on this just because I think those turnovers as a whole are a pretty critical data point. If memory serves, most of those fumbles happened when he ran the football, and those are opportunities you're blowing for your team. I was super critical of TM back in the day for this same thing - great offensive numbers marred by poor ball security.

That said, I still think it's pretty shocking that AM didn't get any of the top three spots, but it was probably some combination of the team record, his turnovers, and his age that kept him back.

Again, not arguing Martinez vs McSorley.

If anything, I am arguing McSorley vs. Blough.

I will agree to the fact that turnovers are a fair area to dive into, it just seemed a bit at the time that mentioning fumbles was a stretch... Maybe I was too focused on the idea of "fumbles" vs the idea of losing the ball for your team.

I cant find how many fumbles Blough lost but outside of interceptions, Blough blows McSorley out of the water.