First-Year Coaching Grades

Mavric

Grading the First Year  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Scott Frost    4-8

Six straight losses to open the season didn't exactly sit well, but the Cornhuskers came on strong late to finish 4-2 and give fans hope.

Grade: B

CBS Sports

Mullen at Florida (9-3) got an A, Jimbo (aTm, 8-4) got an A-, and Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State (8-4) got a B+ as the only three Power 5 coaches to get a better grade than Frost.

Their grading curve seems really inflated. Mullen and Jimbo's jobs in year 1 don't constitute an 'A' ranking in my idea of how it should work. If Mullen would have gone 11-1, would that still have been an A? 

I'd grade Frost's year at a C+. That's probably still being too generous, whereas in 99% of other contexts where we have a season this bad we would all grade it a flat F, but there's reason for optimism and there's understandable context of some struggles. Lots of promise and the most important part of non-championship seasons is finishing them strong with momentum, which he did, but he also has to own the worst start in school history and missed opportunities in those games. 

• Plus1 2

If it was 2nd half only I would have said B+, but the totality of the season is a C+ for me.  Having said that it's a C+ that surely would have been a F if not for Frost and his Coaches leadership!  We've all been there as a student and the next semester is much better!

Edited by Warrior
Grammar

B+  The improvement the team made from game 1-12 was clearly evident.  Staff showed patience to stay the course in the midst of a disastrous start.  Went from an undisciplined team that shot itself in the foot, to limiting those mistakes and fighting their tails off.  Iowa would have beat this team by 60 if Riley was still coaching.  That alone deserves a B+ in my book.  

• Fire 2

On one hand, the culture change and positive trajectory is quite evident, and I am more optimistic about the future than I have been in years. On the other hand, we tied with last year for the worst record in any of our lifetimes, and the losing streak to begin the season was incomprehensibly stunning. For the intangibles, I give an A. For the actual on-field results, I give a D-. Overall grade, I'll just give a P on a pass/fail basis until next year's grade is earned.

I am not really sure how to grade his first season.

If we are strictly talking performance, I would say C-. Early on some of his coaching decisions cost us games. Mainly Colorado and Northwestern. Neither of those losses were strictly on Frost but he wasnt great but I feel like he has learned and grown.

If we are talking about the whole picture, I think the fact they started off so poorly, lost a few players and yet he still got that much buy-in from the team and have built a foundation for the future, then closer to a B-.

I am as excited for the future of Husker football as I have ever been but this year was something i will be happy to forget. 

I gave B+

A competent backup leaves week before season starts, the canceled game, hurt starting QB, players quitting or transferring weeks into the season, new to the conference, extreme expectations...

frost overcame huge obstacles and....laid an egg the first 6-7 games. I gave him a good grade because he was just so steady and even, kept to the message, kept inspiring, kept them from quitting, gave hope to the fans, made some f#&%ing adjustments when things weren’t working.  such a tough hand this first season and I think he nailed it. The Big Red Machine is cranked up and he deserves ALL the credit for it.