N-2007.gif

Player: Patrick Witt

Hometown: Wylie Texas

Position: QB

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 215

40 time: 4.95

Visit Date: October 20, 2006

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Texas Tech, Baylor, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Tulane, Tulsa, Texas El Paso

Favorites: Signed with Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR/ :star:star:star

Bid Red Report:NR/ :star:star

Assessing the talent:Two words ....Drew Bledsoe. Reminds me an awful lot of him after watching his film. Tall with good vision, nice footwork. Prototype WCO QB. Nice touch to the tall receivers . Good accurate arm.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 100% Already taking classes

Patrick Witt

QB 6-4 215 Wylie, Texas - Wylie HS

“The whole experience was awesome and the atmosphere was amazing. I’d give it a ‘10’ on a scale of 1-10. It was great. It exceeded all my expectations. We went around all the new facilities now that they’ve moved in. They’re unbelievable.”

his visit was an unofficial visit, do you know when or if he makes an official visit?

I dont know if he will take an official. Mom and dad are airline pilots and mom couldn't check us out so maybe there will be one.

I know that he wants a couple of his relatives to check us out before any decision.Dad was with him so I guess we passed that test. I bet Calli and Norvell are putting on the full court press.

a couple of wks ago, I posted that he was the next hot prospect - since, many of the top qb's had either chosen, or were b/w 2 or 3 schools, & then tt targeted this kid, & many other schools followed tt lead - now, including NU

I was always frusterated when NU would offer a 2nd or 3rd tier prospect, or diamond in the rough type, & then ore, or wash, or az, or somebody else would follow w/ any offer, because of NU's ability to find that next hot prospect - so, I am glad to find that tt is what NU used to be:

when I posted about this kid 2 wks, he had about 4 major offers - wi, pur, bay, & tt - now he has tripled that, & watch it quadruple - thanks tt:

hello, the next target & a pro-style qb, who is now gathering a lot of buzz (for schools who have missed on the top-tier p-s qb's) is:

patrick witt, wylie, tx, 6'4", 215, 4.95 he has recently garnered schollie from northern schools - wi, in, & pur, & southern schools - tt, a&m, & bay - NU could also sneak in on his kid w/ the others if they are willing

p.s. who said that the top qb's are pretty much taken, because their is a watch-&-see b/w 3:

tyrod taylor #2 d-t qb, hampton, va, who is uncommitted - vt & fl as his top 2

stephan garcia #5 d-t qb, tampa, fl, who is uncommitted - fl & sc as his top 2

matt lentz, 6'3", 205, 4.74, who is uncommitted - has many including NU, clem, sc, nd, ky, ga, & gt

rumor mill: the lentz situation is the most interesting, because if garcia goes to sc, & w/ smelley 4* coming in as a fr this yr, then sc is out - which seems like the most likely conclusion, because tebow 5* is at fl; plus, clem has a verbal from korn 5*; & ga & gt are in a battle over a wait-&-see there b/w two 4* uncommitted ga high-schoolers in nesbitt & newton - plus, ga signed stafford 5* last yr; nd signed 2 top qb's last yr, & have a verbal from claussen, this yr - therefore, lentz maybe looking at NU harder then most suspect!

thank you for your time,

hootin'

a couple of wks ago, I posted that he was the next hot prospect - since, many of the top qb's had either chosen, or were b/w 2 or 3 schools, & then tt targeted this kid, & many other schools followed tt lead - now, including NU

I was always frusterated when NU would offer a 2nd or 3rd tier prospect, or diamond in the rough type, & then ore, or wash, or az, or somebody else would follow w/ any offer, because of NU's ability to find that next hot prospect - so, I am glad to find that tt is what NU used to be:

when I posted about this kid 2 wks, he had about 4 major offers - wi, pur, bay, & tt - now he has tripled that, & watch it quadruple - thanks tt:

hello, the next target & a pro-style qb, who is now gathering a lot of buzz (for schools who have missed on the top-tier p-s qb's) is:

patrick witt, wylie, tx, 6'4", 215, 4.95 he has recently garnered schollie from northern schools - wi, in, & pur, & southern schools - tt, a&m, & bay - NU could also sneak in on his kid w/ the others if they are willing

p.s. who said that the top qb's are pretty much taken, because their is a watch-&-see b/w 3:

tyrod taylor #2 d-t qb, hampton, va, who is uncommitted - vt & fl as his top 2

stephan garcia #5 d-t qb, tampa, fl, who is uncommitted - fl & sc as his top 2

matt lentz, 6'3", 205, 4.74, who is uncommitted - has many including NU, clem, sc, nd, ky, ga, & gt

rumor mill: the lentz situation is the most interesting, because if garcia goes to sc, & w/ smelley 4* coming in as a fr this yr, then sc is out - which seems like the most likely conclusion, because tebow 5* is at fl; plus, clem has a verbal from korn 5*; & ga & gt are in a battle over a wait-&-see there b/w two 4* uncommitted ga high-schoolers in nesbitt & newton - plus, ga signed stafford 5* last yr; nd signed 2 top qb's last yr, & have a verbal from claussen, this yr - therefore, lentz maybe looking at NU harder then most suspect!

thank you for your time,

hootin'

any predictions on the powerball numbers for wednesday night????

it sure would be nice to land a QB, wouldnt it?

anyways, judging from his pedigree, it wouldnt be a bad bet to say he has the smarts to learn Cally's offense, wouldnt you agree?

Wonder how this will play with Logan Grey...

Welcome to Big Red Country, Mr. Witt!!!

:restore2:clap:restore2:clap:restore2:clap:restore2

PS - Interesting - per Scout.com, he has a brother serving a mission in Bolivia. Perhaps Mr. Witt will serve a mission as well? We don't know if the kid is LDS (gotta love these LDS quarterbacks!), but chances are he is. Funny we haven't heard anything about him deliberating over a mission.

Awesome. He kind of popped onto the scene a few weeks back when Hootin' made a post about him. Like KS just said, bring Tolliver with you. I said before and I will say it again; I think this recruiting class is going to rival '05 as far as acclaim and blue chippers. The way these coaches can recruit, DO NOT PANIC!

now we will probably take a mid-term juco if possible. i dont imagine us taking another HS quarterback but you never know.

If I had it my way I would want it to be another hs qb instead of a juco recruit. Just for longtime insurance. :thumbs

now we will probably take a mid-term juco if possible.  i dont imagine us taking another HS quarterback but you never know.

If I had it my way I would want it to be another hs qb instead of a juco recruit. Just for longtime insurance. :thumbs

I remember Coach Callahan saying he wants 2 high school QBs and one JUCO QB in this class.

Wonder how this will play with Logan Grey...

Welcome to Big Red Country, Mr. Witt!!!

:restore2:clap:restore2:clap:restore2:clap:restore2

PS - Interesting - per Scout.com, he has a brother serving a mission in Bolivia. Perhaps Mr. Witt will serve a mission as well? We don't know if the kid is LDS (gotta love these LDS quarterbacks!), but chances are he is. Funny we haven't heard anything about him deliberating over a mission.

i don't figure Grey is coming here anyway......so this is not a factor...IMHO

hunter

now we will probably take a mid-term juco if possible.  i dont imagine us taking another HS quarterback but you never know.

absolutely........without a doubt......

hunter

THis is great news. Welcome aboard. Signs of a great Independence day..... Red, Witt, and Blue. We are on a role.....

ahhh nothing like a new commit....just cracked open a beer before i got on and it tastes even sweeter now.

I wonder who is at the top of our recuiting board? any guesses who is going to be getting the full court press? I cant imagine the joy of getting Toliver, but i still feel he is a long shot.

This is a very bright kid and I am positive will prove to be a leader of men! This is the best news I have heard so far this year. I do think that it's too bad that he won't have a chance to be around Zac for a season. I have strong feelings that this year will rival that of the 2005 class. Welcome to Husker Nation! Here's to you Patrick!

:wasted:clap:cheers:power

I just read the rivals interview with Patrick. Man it is impressive to hear his words. This is one smart guy with awesome character.

Im blown away by his maturity and temperment. We are very fortunate to have him.

The old saying that everything happens for a reason. Well I guess that we didnt get another qb earlier because god is a Husker fan and wanted to make sure we got the right one. Not some prima Donna flake who's name I wont mention( Rhymes with Peeman). ;) Heres to you fellow Husker fans. :cheers Tonight we celibrate!!

I just read the rivals interview with Patrick. Man it is impressive to hear his words. This is one smart guy with awesome character.

Im blown away by his maturity and temperment. We are very fortunate to have him.

The old saying that everything happens for a reason. Well I guess that we didnt get another qb earlier because god is a Husker fan and wanted to make sure we got the right one. Not some prima Donna flake who's name I wont mention( Rhymes with Peeman). ;) Heres to you fellow Husker fans. :cheers  Tonight we celibrate!!

he's got some good quotes in that interview doesnt he? i just really liked his ambition and his faith.

edit: not his particular faith, just the fact he has a lot of it. just wanted to clarify that, and not promote one specific religion over another.

I actually get to see the kid play this fall here in Texas. He moved with his parents and has yet to play for Wylie. Later on down the road I will give yall a run down on how he does from week to week.

so, order of succession to the throne...

taylor --> beck --> witt

it sounds good: hopefully as the years proceed, nebraska will not be rebuilding offenses but reloading. just like back in the salad days of the Big Eight.

the order will be restored!

ahhh nothing like a new commit....just cracked open a beer before i got on and it tastes even sweeter now.

I wonder who is at the top of our recuiting board? any guesses who is going to be getting the full court press? I cant imagine the joy of getting Toliver, but i still feel he is a long shot.

I know just how your feelin'

source there is a pic of him on the link as well, (OWH)

LINCOLN - Finally, a quarterback.

Patrick Witt

The Nebraska football team secured its most important recruiting victory of the season Wednesday, scoring a pledge from strong-armed QB Patrick Witt. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound senior to be at Wylie (Texas) High School picked the Huskers over scholarship offers from Texas Tech, Baylor and Wisconsin, among others.

And Witt, whose contact with NU began only a week ago, said the Huskers have no reason to worry about another late recruiting defection.

"There's no school that's going to lure me away," Witt said. "It's Nebraska football. I'm so excited. I couldn't have found a better school. Tell them I'm a Husker no matter what."

Witt plans to finish high school in December and participate in spring practice next year, when auditions to succeed Zac Taylor figure to grow intense.

Nebraska returns only Harrison Beck with notable experience, plus fellow reserves Joe Ganz and Beau Davis at quarterback after this year. It was a situation made more precarious last December after Josh Freeman broke his commitment of six months to sign with Kansas State.

The Huskers' eighth oral commitment for the class of 2007, Witt said NU coaches made "no promises" about their intentions to recruit other quarterbacks in this class.

"I completely understand if they want to bring in two, especially with what happened last year," Witt said. "I'd like to be the only high school guy, but nothing has been guaranteed. And they are probably looking to bring in a junior-college quarterback.

"Of course, I want to play as soon as possible. But my goal is not to win that spot as a freshman. It's to learn the offense and then bridge the gap mentally."

His commitment relieves some pressure on the Huskers after prospects like Jarrett Lee, Ryan Mallett, Chris Forcier and Lyle Moevao picked against Nebraska.

Witt completed 63 percent of his passes, throwing for more than 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns last year at Parkview High in Lilburn, Ga. He moved with his parents - both commercial pilots -?in January to attend Wylie, a tradition-rich 5-A school near Dallas.

The recruiting attention soon followed.

"The exposure you get in Texas," Witt said, "it's unrivaled in any other state."

Of Witt, Wylie coach Bill Howard said: "Anybody that ever saw him and met him offered him."

But Nebraska didn't see Witt until last week, when his film arrived at Memorial Stadium. He was soon on the phone with offensive coordinator Jay Norvell and recruiting coordinator Shawn Watson.

On Saturday, with a flight from Dallas available to Witt only because of his parents' aviation connections, he visited Lincoln on a last-minute trip.

"It blew me away," Witt said. "I was ushered right in, got to meet all of the coaches in person. The entire staff was there on a Saturday. I think that impressed me most."

Witt said he wasn't sure what to expect from Callahan and Norvell, both former NFL coaches.

"They were very down to Earth," the quarterback said. "They made me feel so welcome."

Witt will run a spread offense at Wylie this fall, with a pair of Division-I receiving prospects on one side of the field. It differs greatly from the run-oriented attack, featuring five-star back Caleb King, that Witt operated in Georgia last season.

"For people who are big on stats, my numbers are going to look a lot better," Witt said. "But one of the things Coach Callahan told me is that he doesn't care about my stats. He's seen me on film and told me that I'm good enough to run his offense. That was a big deal to me."

Though he has yet to coach the quarterback in a game, Howard described Witt as a "great young man."

"He's very mature for his age," Howard said, "and he's got a great deal of character. By the way he handles himself and deals with people, he sets himself apart. And with his arm strength and maturity, from what I've seen, Patrick's got a chance to play on Sunday someday."

Can anyone give a comparison of this young man's throwing ability to Gray's? I realize he's not as good of a runner as Gray, and, while that is certainly a bonus, that is not a requirement to run the WCO. Again, how does his throwing ability compare to Gray's?

Witt is a better WCO QB. Witt is already at 6'4" and 215 pounds while Gray is 6'2" 185 pounds. Witt has a low release, but has a cannon, and i think he has more power and a better touch than Gray. The only reason Witt isnt as popular amongst rivals and scout is because his old HS team passed very little, they had caleb king(5 star rb) in the backfield who rushed for close to 3000 yards in his junior season. Witt now has the reigns of a spread offense that will showcase his ablilities more, and could be a 4 star QB by November.