QB Patrick Witt

I’m a huge fan of this board and love to see the comments and opinions about new recruits. This is my first post so go easy on me.

Yesterday I was invited to attend 7 on 7 drills at a local high school in North Texas. Before I get started… No I’m not talking to or stalking or promoting any university to Patrick Witt. With that said, wow this kid is underrated (I just noticed he went from a 1 star to a 3 star in rivals). First of all, his size compared to others on the field was night and day. They were drilling against other 4 and 5A varsity teams so the competition wasn’t him against a bunch of freshmen. Next, his 3-step drop was incredible. Granted there are no rushers, but during 7 on 7 drills the QB has 4 seconds to deliver the ball or it’s ruled incomplete. Lastly his delivery is accurate and powerful. He threw a couple of 30 and 40 yard TD passes that only his receivers were able to catch. Another impressive note was that he was using no huddle and hand signals to call the plays.

The best part of the day was after the drills he walked off the field wearing his Husker cap.

7 on 7 state tourney is this weekend in college station. I'll be there playin for my school.

Good Luck buddy! if you have any free time to check out Witt, or any other oral committment that we have, it would be much appreciated. of course, dont feel obliged, im sure you have higher obligations to take care of first.

I believe the drills were on every Tuesday for the last 5 weeks... this one being the last.

yes, welcome north texas nebraskan....from another Nebraskan "stuck in Texas"!

hunter

There seems to be quite a few of you guys "deep in the heart of Texas."

Thanks for the info NorthTexan. Good to hear about Witt.

Wylie plans to wing it with new quarterback

By TODD WILLS / The Dallas Morning News

WYLIE – New coach Bill Howard and Wylie faced the difficult leap to Class 5A with uncertainty at football's most important position – quarterback.

Then Patrick Witt showed up on the school's doorstep. Now, Howard sleeps better at night.

"Patrick can help us make the transition a lot smoother than it would have been," Howard said.

Witt's new teammates, some of whom he'll play with at the FSN Southwest 7-on-7 State Championship starting today in College Station, also let out a big sigh of relief.

"Since I've been here, I haven't had a quarterback that is a true quarterback," said senior receiver Tyler O'Quin, who has started since he was a sophomore.

Witt, a senior, is the gift that could give over and over again this fall. He arrived at Wylie in early April from Lilburn, Ga., after a brief month-long stop at Highland Park.

After pulling its last two quarterbacks from its defense, Wylie, one of the area's most proficient passing teams, has a true pro-style quarterback.

The 6-4, 216-pounder has orally committed to Nebraska. At No. 71 on Rivals.com's Texas 100 state list, he is one of the top quarterbacks in the area, without having played a down in Texas.

"Last year the colleges overlooked me," Witt said. "So this has worked out great."

Witt almost wound up playing for defending Class 4A Division I state champion Highland Park. His parents – both airline pilots – moved from the Atlanta area to the Dallas area, where Witt's mother, Kathy, works for Dallas-based American Airlines (Witt's father, Gene, is a pilot for Delta Airlines).

The family rented a house near Highland Park, and Witt enrolled at the school, where he said coaches told him he would get a chance to replace high school All-American Matthew Stafford, now a freshman at Georgia.

Witt went through a few off-season workouts with Highland Park, and on April 3, his birthday, he learned from coach Randy Allen that he would not get a chance at the starting quarterback position. Allen said he had two quarterbacks – seniors William Webb and John Ellerman – ahead of Witt on the depth chart.

Then, Witt's parents decided to leave Highland Park for financial reasons.

The family moved to Wylie. The athletic director at Brookwood (in the Atlanta area) put Witt in touch with Wylie athletic director Mark Ball. Witt visited the Wylie campus and enrolled there a week later in time for spring workouts.

Howard said the District 9-5A committee has approved Witt's transfer. The UIL forbids students from transferring for athletic purposes.

The move to pass-happy Texas benefits Witt. His main job at Lilburn Parkview was handing the ball off to Caleb King, the nation's top running back prospect (King is No. 4 on Rivals.com's Rival 100 national recruiting list). King almost broke Herschel Walker's state record with 2,768 yards last year.

Witt was rarely asked to throw, but he did surpass 1,000 yards and had 12 touchdown passes.

Zach Abbott, a converted defensive tackle, threw for 197 yards a game as a senior last year in Wylie's spread offense. Howard hired Highland Park receivers coach Shannon Purcell as his offensive coordinator, so in an interesting twist, Witt is running the system he would have used under Allen.

"I feel like I've got down our offense to a science," Witt said. "I feel very confident."

KYE R. LEE/DMN

Wylie quarterback Patrick Witt has yet to play in his first high school football game in Texas, but the senior is already one of the top prospects in the state. Witt began getting scholarship offers as he started participating in various camps this spring and summer. Baylor, Indiana, Purdue, Texas Tech and Wisconsin made offers. Witt decided to commit to the Cornhuskers.

Witt understands it will be a challenging season in 5A for Wylie, which is coming off back-to-back Class 4A regional quarterfinal appearances.

Wylie will probably be the underdog in all but one of its district games after getting placed in a district with five 2005 playoff teams – Plano, Plano East, Allen, Richardson Berkner and Lake Highlands.

"If I had not showed up, we have a bunch of talented guys that can win games," Witt said. "If I can do anything to help our optimism with the negative critics out there, then that's good."

E-mail twills@dallasnews.com