SUHperman

Big announcement coming?

Clouse posted on Husker Online this morning an update regarding a big announcement that he expects is coming very soon. He said someone tied to the President's office told him to expect a big announcement regarding facility upgrades. Clouse fully expects Nebraska to announce the building of a brand new football complex. The new complex is expected to be built where the current track is northeast of the stadium.

Apparently NU officials visited the Clemson facility on Monday.

Would be huge news! Clouse said our current facilities are in the bottom half of the big ten following upgrades by other programs.

• Plus1 2

In this landscape, routine upgrades to facilities are basically a necessity. Universities upgrade them so often now that it only takes a handful of years to be outstripped by roughly 50% of the conference.

Crazy to think the Suh complex is closer to 10 years old than it is brand new.

2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I wonder where the track will be moved to?  Maybe out by soccer complex?

Clouse thinks it will be moved over to the innovation campus by the indoor track. 

Just now, SUHperman said:

Clouse thinks it will be moved over to the innovation campus by the indoor track. 

That really makes sense.  I think the hammer cages are already over in that direction.  (sorry track coach here)

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

DOMED STADIUM! DOMED STADIUM!....come on, say it with me.....DOMED STADIUM! :lol:

I read this without context and I kind of panicked a bit.

I know the arms race with facilities is important to recruiting. 

But, none of this will actually make a football player better than what we already have. 

Construction industry loves it though. 

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We should outdo Clemson by having a 2 or 3 story slide.

qfmof29ocekwicv75iln

I am all for having great facilities for athletes, but when I saw this the first time when they were showing it on ESPN, I thought this was dumb and a little over the top. 

But, Nate Clouse, tho....it's as liable to be a new parking garage as it is a football complex. 

Or, Darnay Holmes is signing with Nebraska. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

qfmof29ocekwicv75iln

It better be a spiral slide

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NUinID said:

I am all for having great facilities for athletes, but when I saw this the first time when they were showing it on ESPN, I thought this was dumb and a little over the top. 

our stadium has 5 screens in it. Give it 10-20 years and south stadium might make it 6

37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

qfmof29ocekwicv75iln

Bet you can count on one hand how many players go down that slide in a football season. Pointless & gimmicky imo

• Plus1 1

Just now, Huskr25 said:

Bet you can count on one hand how many players go down that slide in a football season. Pointless & gimmicky imo

FirstGiddyIndigowingedparrot-size_restri

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe it’s about a south stadium balcony. 

He did mention that it could be regarding south stadium upgrade. However,  he seems very confident this announcement will be about a new facility. 

Just now, funhusker said:

They are recruiting kids younger and younger these days....

You're right.

I should get my 7 year old nephew on a recruiting visit up there. Wonder if we can petition the NCAA to get his official a little early

I always thought it would be cool to get rid of the chain link fence between the stands and the sidelines and replace with something similar to what Georgia does with its hedges.  But instead of just green hedges do some kind of red plant like a burning bush or maybe even rose plants.  Could be cool.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, dankebe said:

I always thought it would be cool to get rid of the chain link fence between the stands and the sidelines and replace with something similar to what Georgia does with its hedges.  But instead of just green hedges do some kind of red plant like a burning bush or maybe even rose plants.  Could be cool.

Corn.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Corn.

That might be a bit too corny, don't ya think?

I'm so sorry about this....

2 minutes ago, dankebe said:

Too tall....people would have to stand, olds would riot.

I think it’d be fine as long as it’s only a row or 2. 

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

That might be a bit too corny, don't ya think?

I'm so sorry about this....

I’m sorry too. 

I’m also sorry that no one has laugher at my football field shaped pool joke. 

13 minutes ago, dankebe said:

That could look cool at the beginning of the season.....but like crap at the end. 

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I think it’d be fine as long as it’s only a row or 2. 

I’m sorry too. 

I’m also sorry that no one has laugher at my football field shaped pool joke. 

That was a joke???  Sounds like a solid idea to me....:dunno

You could make one "end zone" the deep end with a diving board, and the other "end zone" a shallow zero entry.  There could be a gradual depth change as you go from one end to the other.  I think a rectangle shaped pool would work out well :thumbs

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

You're thinking too small. 

Image result for top thrill dragster

Top thrill dragster at Cedar Point, nice. I think Dabo is already looking into this. 

https://www.wltx.com/video/sports/ncaa/clemson-tigers/dabo-swinney-on-his-wild-ride-over-the-weekend/101-8284168

Moose has decide to hire MR as HCSF DC

Lurker for the last year and a half but first time poster and couldn't resist.

Edited by Bob O
spelling
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know the arms race with facilities is important to recruiting. 

But, none of this will actually make a football player better than what we already have. 

Construction industry loves it though. 

One other added bonus is it probably helps keep the players out of trouble.

This will be interesting to watch develop. I've been keeping my eye on something like this for a bit, because our current facilities are now 12-13 years old, which seems longer than it feels. The most intriguing part is how fast they'll have to get it done so as to not wildly interrupt various parties. 

I'd say do it after spring practice, but track season will still be going on in to May/June? If you're going to do demo of the current indoor practice facility and other areas, that leaves very little time. 

They could tear down Richards Hall and expand in that direction.  That place is a s#!thole.  My first class ever was in that building and I don't think they have done anything to it since I was talking my world history class.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

They could tear down Richards Hall and expand in that direction.  That place is a s#!thole.  My first class ever was in that building and I don't think they have done anything to it since I was talking my world history class.

If they don’t care about the campus looking collegey they could tear down Avery and the 4 buildings to the east and make 1 big mega building for all of the departments. 

Just now, Moiraine said:

If they don’t care about the campus looking collegey they could tear down Avery and the 4 buildings to the east and make 1 big mega building for all of the departments. 

Shoot, was is the tall white building?  That one is horrible too.

Also, get rid of the quad...they only use that for photoshopped pictures for the schools website...where one person of every race/religion/gender/ability just happen to be hanging out reading books, playing the guitar and tossing a frisbee.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Also, get rid of the quad...they only use that for photoshopped pictures for the schools website...where one person of every race/religion/gender/ability just happen to be hanging out reading books, playing the guitar and tossing a frisbee.  

Hamilton Hall. Also you’re description of the quad is very accurate and gave me a good laugh. 

I know it's a dream, but god damn I wish they'd tear down the south stadium and have it three tiered. First tier for students, then a club / suite level, then another section of normal tickets. You don't even have to make them that high up. Hell, make the first section steeper than it currently is and maybe only 20-30 rows. Consolidated it down similar to A&M's end zones after the renovations. Put some sort of roof/overhang that traps down the noise like Husky stadium and that place would be complete. 

• Plus1 4

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Campus pictures always crack me up, especially when I know the campus is a dump and then the photos look beautiful.

16 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I know it's a dream, but god damn I wish they'd tear down the south stadium and have it three tiered. First tier for students, then a club / suite level, then another section of normal tickets. You don't even have to make them that high up. Hell, make the first section steeper than it currently is and maybe only 20-30 rows. Consolidated it down similar to A&M's end zones after the renovations. Put some sort of roof/overhang that traps down the noise like Husky stadium and that place would be complete. 

You don't even need to do any construction to do a two tiered system for students/normal fans. I've thought for a while that the lowest section of south stadium, up to the first level of horizontal walkways and exits or whatever, should be the student section, across the whole endzone. The walkway would give a natural barrier to the students standing but still not being in the way of people sitting behind them.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Campus pictures always crack me up, especially when I know the campus is a dump and then the photos look beautiful.

If the people that created the campus pictures did the pictures for Compton...I would move to Compton.  They are amazing.

• Plus1 1