Big announcement coming?

SUHperman

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I heard they are expanding the Hawks Championship Center and that will now be our home field,  complete with dome. Memorial Stadium is being converted into a national momument

Yeah........now I wonder why we just didn’t play Akron on the indoor practice field. Could’ve crammed a couple hundred fans in there and broadcast to the big screen so as not to lose the sellout streak.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah........now I wonder why we just didn’t play Akron on the indoor practice field. Could’ve crammed a couple hundred fans in there and broadcast to the big screen so as not to lose the sellout streak.

We didnt lose the sellout streak. The Akron game was sold out, played or not, as was the B-C game.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I don't know this for sure but we likely would not have been allowed to by NCAA rules. The Hawkes Championship Center field isn't equipped with things like time displays, play clocks, PA system, etc., and also wouldn't have enough room or infrastructure for all the support/officiating staff and everyone. 

59 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't know this for sure but we likely would not have been allowed to by NCAA rules. The Hawkes Championship Center field isn't equipped with things like time displays, play clocks, PA system, etc., and also wouldn't have enough room or infrastructure for all the support/officiating staff and everyone. 

Well, my comments were just an attempt at humor. Apparently I failed miserably. How come nobody is hammering Moiraine for the bubble top cover and fans flying the stadium to the moon? :lol:

7 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Moos planted the seed by saying UNL's football facilities rank 8 or 9 in the B1G.  

I wonder if that’s actually true.

Edit: I googled it. I don’t know how Moos is measuring this but according to the link, Nebraska is #15 in the country and #2 in the Big Ten. 

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-Top-25-facilities-in-college-football-for-2018-112072412/#112072412_11

I kind of had a feeling we weren’t actually the 8th best because it didn’t really jive with our recruiting ranks. I know tradition is part of the pull but it’s also the facilities and the stadium and fan interest, and now Frost adds something we didn’t have before.

Out of curiousity, who does an AD need to convince when he wants to do a huge project? ‘Cause that’s what the comment feels like. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder if that’s actually true.

Edit: I googled it. I don’t know how Moos is measuring this but according to the link, Nebraska is #15 in the country and #2 in the Big Ten. 

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-Top-25-facilities-in-college-football-for-2018-112072412/#112072412_11

I kind of had a feeling we weren’t actually the 8th best because it didn’t really jive with our recruiting ranks. I know tradition is part of the pull but it’s also the facilities and the stadium and fan interest, and now Frost adds something we didn’t have before.

Out of curiousity, who does an AD need to convince when he wants to do a huge project? ‘Cause that’s what the comment feels like. 

He's probably reaching out to big donors/boosters, and trying to work with the Athletic Department bean counters.  Big capital projects (like this would be) usually require a large, upfront donation or multiple donations.  But, given the amount of $ the Athletic Department is bringing in right now, they may be able to fund a capital project within the current budget.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He's probably reaching out to big donors/boosters, and trying to work with the Athletic Department bean counters.  Big capital projects (like this would be) usually require a large, upfront donation or multiple donations.  But, given the amount of $ the Athletic Department is bringing in right now, they may be able to fund a capital project within the current budget.

I would not be surprised if there is a limit (very high limit) where it has to be ran past the regents or chancellor....or both.

Meaning....Moos couldn't just all of a sudden decide to tear down Memorial stadium and build a new one without higher up approval.  

9 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Moos planted the seed by saying UNL's football facilities rank 8 or 9 in the B1G.  

Definitely not doing anything to dispel rumors....

“Our kids are eating, studying, compliance — everything is in a dungeon,” Moos said last week. “It’s in a dungeon. It’s one of the first things I observed. Ideally, with an open checkbook, you’d build a building with the specs that address all these things.”

So is Moos going to build it?

“I might,” he said. No more than that. Moos did not hint that a giant overhaul of Nebraska’s football facilities was imminent. But he didn’t lie about where NU’s facilities rank inside the Big Ten, either.

“Football facilities? Out of 14? Probably eighth, ninth,” Moos said.

That’s the truth. In 2011, when it joined the Big Ten, Nebraska’s Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex and Hawks Championship Center indoor practice field – attached by a skywalk – was probably third or fourth in the league. That’s my take. Iowa still had a dishwater-colored, hot-in-the-summer practice bubble. Wisconsin and Minnesota were behind. Northwestern’s outdoor practice field looked like something from your high school.

I could argue all four schools are even with or ahead of Nebraska now. The Huskers’ North Stadium/Hawks combo was top-flight in 2006. Not so much anymore.

“If I could, I’d revamp that whole football facility,” Moos said. He did it at Washington State, which he said has the best football building in the country, “though I’ve heard Clemson’s is really good.” Moos put together that project by touring many of the top football buildings in the country, including, at the time, Nebraska.

OWH ($)

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Big announcement coming?