Big announcement coming?

SUHperman

• 2 weeks later...

One explanation for the "delay" in the announcement is a mis-understanding of what they were waiting on.  The report was the wouldn't be made until after the legislature got the budget worked out.  How that was interpreted was if everything came out OK, the project would be announced.  It appears it should have been interpreted as it won't be announced at least until after the legislature passes the budget.

But a fundraiser for the university confirmed that they have been all over the country this summer getting donations so it is definitely moving forward.  They are really expecting an announcement in the next month or so.  The source said they are really looking for the football bus to get rolling in a hurry in September - big home game weekends (especially Ohio State), the team to be playing much better and the facility announcement.  They're expecting excitement around the football program that hasn't been seen in years.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

One explanation for the "delay" in the announcement is a mis-understanding of what they were waiting on.  The report was the wouldn't be made until after the legislature got the budget worked out.  How that was interpreted was if everything came out OK, the project would be announced.  It appears it should have been interpreted as it won't be announced at least until after the legislature passes the budget.

But a fundraiser for the university confirmed that they have been all over the country this summer getting donations so it is definitely moving forward.  They are really expecting an announcement in the next month or so.  The source said they are really looking for the football bus to get rolling in a hurry in September - big home game weekends (especially Ohio State), the team to be playing much better and the facility announcement.  They're expecting excitement around the football program that hasn't been seen in years.

Got me like:

tenor.gif?itemid=11531444

• Fire 1

5. Nebraska needs new football facilities, he said.

"But they know that," he said. "They used to have the best, and now they don't. I mean, Purdue has a better facility than Nebraska. It isn't close."

He added, "I think Nebraska and Wisconsin are pretty similar. Nebraska doesn't have a standalone building. Their weight room isn't big enough right now. The team room isn't big enough right now."

Bottom line, he said, Nebraska's football facilities are at best tied with Wisconsin for fifth-best in the Big Ten West Division.

Uhhh... build it now!

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

With how many times we have rebuilt our weight room, I don’t understand still having one too small. 

I wonder if the answer is building a new one from scratch, rather than making additions to the current one.  I don't know exactly what has been done in the past in terms of improvement, but that could be an issue.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

With how many times we have rebuilt our weight room, I don’t understand still having one too small. 

I remember that when I was at UNL in the late 90s the weight room at the Rec was supposedly the 3rd biggest weight room in the Big 12 (behind the one under West Stadium and Texas).

This is the issue I have with talking about facilities - I don't get the feeling that most anyone saying that is really looking at the entire picture to compare.  DiNardo's comments about Purdue are a perfect example.  No only does he say that Purdue is better, he says it isn't close.

Now, Purdue's new facility is very nice.  It definitely has us in the bells and whistles department.  And that counts for something.  And their weight room is noticeably bigger than ours.

But I get the impression that when most people talk about one place having "better facilities" than another, they tend to look at the newest and shiniest and stop there.  I have no problem saying that part of Purdue's facilities are better than ours.  Although I don't think our lockerroom and players lounge are really "not close" just not as flashy (which might be what they are referring to).  We could probably add $30k worth of lights and a big screen and you'd hardly be able to tell the difference.

But I don't think that's the entire picture.  

Their stadium is basically as old as ours but holds 2/3 the fans and does not appear to have anywhere near the additions and renovations that ours has.  They have one indoor practice facility while we have two.

So they win in weight and locker rooms but we have significant advantages in practice and game facilities.  I can see how someone might give them the edge in flash but I think the overall picture is much different than what some are portraying.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, I don't really understand all the comments about how terrible our facilities are. Like Mav I'll agree that they probably lack some of the sex appeal of places built more recently, but...didn't we have the biggest weight room in the world when it was finished in 2006? What does Dinardo mean we don't have a standalone building? North Stadium and a 100 foot skybridge to the indoor practice facility is a big negative checkmark compared to the same distance walk but somehow more "inside"? 

I don't disagree with the notion that we're lagging behind and in need of something new, just based sheerly on the fact that so many people are in agreement across the board about it, but it makes me think that the actual metrics of better/worse for facilities are largely based on hype and recency bias and not on anything particularly salient. 

Also, as a side note, all of these new facilities that smaller schools are making are at this point extremely boring, generic and unmemorable to me. They're like McMansions of football facilities - they look like everyone hired the same general contractor who's website has one of six pre-made generic designs.

• Plus1 1

4. Although DiNardo didn't watch all the position groups, he did note one area of concern.

"They need some outside linebackers," he said. "They're not very deep there. In that defense, a really good outside linebacker is really valuable." If Nebraska has a show-stopper, he hasn't presented himself in that realm.

I've been beating that drum all year, easily my biggest position of concern. And with the way we whiffed on OLB recruiting this year, well, I sure hope some guys from previous classes step up...