Big announcement coming?

SUHperman

The rumor is the proposed south stadium expansion is going to move us past all this. Bigger weight room, apartment style suites made available to large doner’s like Mississippi st and perhaps even a small section dedicated for the opponent’s lodging so Akron doesn’t happen again. 

Its supposedly being shopped for bids 

34 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

perhaps even a small section dedicated for the opponent’s lodging so Akron doesn’t happen again. 

Akron was offered lodging in the dorms, but refused it. I doubt they would've accepted any other on-campus lodging.

42 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

The rumor is the proposed south stadium expansion is going to move us past all this. Bigger weight room, apartment style suites made available to large doner’s like Mississippi st and perhaps even a small section dedicated for the opponent’s lodging so Akron doesn’t happen again. 

Its supposedly being shopped for bids 

Interesting. I think spending money on another Akron situation would be dumb, but it would be nice if they changed south stadium.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they renovated Schorr center (the building under south stadium). That was in 2008.

After nearly 35 years as the home of the athletic administration and football offices, the South Stadium office complex was renovated into a state-of-the-art facility for computer science and engineering.

https://www.sinclairhille.com/june-paul-schorr-iii-center-computer-science-engineering

I mean... who didn't have the wherewithal to see that eventually something might be needed there for athletics again? I guess there's nothing stopping it from staying there and being renovated again. Just always thought it was kind of weird they didn't use another building or build a new one somewhere not under the stadium for that purpose.

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Toe said:

Akron was offered lodging in the dorms, but refused it. I doubt they would've accepted any other on-campus lodging.

Dorms aren’t a nice,exclusive

hotel on site. 

This is a problem Nebraska should probably address. The opponent staying in the Embassy Suites in LaVista isn’t ideal. 

Like I say, I think these plans are pretty abstract at this point. More of a goal. 

2 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

Dorms aren’t a nice,exclusive

hotel on site. 

This is a problem Nebraska should probably address. The opponent staying in the Embassy Suites in LaVista isn’t ideal. 

Like I say, I think these plans are pretty abstract at this point. More of a goal. 

Do other teams care much about how comfortable their opponent is? Serious question.

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is the issue I have with talking about facilities - I don't get the feeling that most anyone saying that is really looking at the entire picture to compare.  DiNardo's comments about Purdue are a perfect example.  No only does he say that Purdue is better, he says it isn't close.

Now, Purdue's new facility is very nice.  It definitely has us in the bells and whistles department.  And that counts for something.  And their weight room is noticeably bigger than ours.

But I get the impression that when most people talk about one place having "better facilities" than another, they tend to look at the newest and shiniest and stop there.  I have no problem saying that part of Purdue's facilities are better than ours.  Although I don't think our lockerroom and players lounge are really "not close" just not as flashy (which might be what they are referring to).  We could probably add $30k worth of lights and a big screen and you'd hardly be able to tell the difference.

But I don't think that's the entire picture.  

Their stadium is basically as old as ours but holds 2/3 the fans and does not appear to have anywhere near the additions and renovations that ours has.  They have one indoor practice facility while we have two.

So they win in weight and locker rooms but we have significant advantages in practice and game facilities.  I can see how someone might give them the edge in flash but I think the overall picture is much different than what some are portraying.

Totally agree...Nebraska doesn't have bad facilities. Its a great setting and atmosphere. Does it need upgrade? Yea, its probably time but a lot of people are mistaking that for bad...that couldn't be further from the truth. Nebraska has a great set up and doesn't look like a multipurpose room like some of the newer ones. Im not saying we don't need to upgrade but facility talk always implies that what you have is bad. Frost said this at media days. Theres a fine line between talking about the future facilities to give to recruits and talking as if what you have is bad which recruits could believe as well if you talk too much about upgrades. When Nebraska does a project they do it right and will make it one of the best again but as it stands now its still a great facility set up

7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yeah that seems like a "them" problem, why would we care except for the 1 in 350 chance that something like Akron happens again (it won't)?

It's less than that, and it would make a lot more sense if we're that nervous about it to just not schedule our crappier out of conference games as night games.

7 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

Professionally?  Absolutely. From a college standpoint it’s probably a tougher find. 

Though, logistically I think we all know Lincoln is harder than it should be to get to. Making it easier to get to Lincoln and stay closer to the stadium makes sense 

Still seems stupid. Not the idea of lodging by itself, but having it because the Akron situation might happen again, or even having it for our opponents. If we have something like that, it should be for fans or players' families.

There are plenty of places that would be just as difficult or more difficult to deal with than Lincoln, and they don't all have a city as big as Omaha next door.