Noah Fant leaving early for the NFL

knapplc

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hockenson, Amani Hooker, and Anthony Nelson are all leaving early as well. I thought Iowa was probably the favorite in the West next year before the departures. I was picking Nebraska anyway, but I thought they had a chance to be pretty good. Losing their top 2 offensive weapons, 2 really good D-linemen and 2 starters in the secondary is a lot though.

Seems like they'll be a pretty standard Iowa offense next year, which isn't great if teams can match them in the trenches like I expect us to next year. A couple solid but not elite running backs, a good O-line, and some inconsistent athletes at WR. Having the TEs they did took them up a level, but it's basically Wisky Lite.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Hockenson, Amani Hooker, and Anthony Nelson are all leaving early as well. I thought Iowa was probably the favorite in the West next year before the departures. I was picking Nebraska anyway, but I thought they had a chance to be pretty good. Losing their top 2 offensive weapons, 2 really good D-linemen and 2 starters in the secondary is a lot though.

Seems like they'll be a pretty standard Iowa offense next year, which isn't great if teams can match them in the trenches like I expect us to next year. A couple solid but not elite running backs, a good O-line, and some inconsistent athletes at WR. Having the TEs they did took them up a level, but it's basically Wisky Lite.

I wonder why so many are leaving early.  

They must not believe they are going to have a great season next year that they want to stick around for.  Maybe they don't want to be on the team that starts the string of a$$ kickings from Nebraska.

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder why so many are leaving early.  

The number of early entrants has consistently went up since the last NFL CBA, and the reason is simple: the real money, and for many positions the only negotiable contract, is the second contract. Getting the clock started early is now worth more than risking staying an extra year in hopes of moving up in the draft. It’s just not worth that much more to offset the risk of injury.

Teams will load up on rookies now because they’re so cheap, and with a few positions demanding so much of a team’s salary cap, you have to save somewhere. That means a lot of rookies make rosters now, and the league minimum is pretty good these days. Overall the risk of being drafted low just doesn’t outweigh any potential monetary benefits of staying. It’s almost a no brainer to leave early if you think you can make a roster.

2 hours ago, brophog said:

The number of early entrants has consistently went up since the last NFL CBA, and the reason is simple: the real money, and for many positions the only negotiable contract, is the second contract. Getting the clock started early is now worth more than risking staying an extra year in hopes of moving up in the draft. It’s just not worth that much more to offset the risk of injury.

Teams will load up on rookies now because they’re so cheap, and with a few positions demanding so much of a team’s salary cap, you have to save somewhere. That means a lot of rookies make rosters now, and the league minimum is pretty good these days. Overall the risk of being drafted low just doesn’t outweigh any potential monetary benefits of staying. It’s almost a no brainer to leave early if you think you can make a roster.

My question was about why so many specifically from Iowa?  

I understand why players do it. But, there seems to be quite a few from Iowa this year. 

On 1/15/2019 at 7:17 AM, BigRedBuster said:

My question was about why so many specifically from Iowa?  

I understand why players do it. But, there seems to be quite a few from Iowa this year. 

I would guess they do it mostly for the same reasons others do it. There was also noise this year about how certain players were used. Seemed to apply most specifically to Fant. 

22 minutes ago, brophog said:

I would guess they do it mostly for the same reasons others do it. There was also noise this year about how certain players were used. Seemed to apply most specifically to Fant. 

Definitely the most surrounding Fant. I heard through a decent source while in Iowa City for the Northwestern game that he wasn't being used because they knew he was leaving this year. Seems like such an Iowa/Ferentz-type move to rather sit somebody on some BS principle than give your team the best chance of winning. Though Hockenson obviously makes that decision easier to make however silly it is. Have to wonder if they anticipated losing both this year.

P.S. Amani Hooker is my first cousin so no matter why he's leaving, I'm just glad I don't have to be 1/85th of a hawk fan anymore.

• 1 month later...