Going To Eat This

4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I made french dip in the Insta Pot last night. It was decent but a little bland.

I always find it harder to give Franch Dip sandwiches a lot of flavor because you basically just have the meat, bread and au jus.  You can add more flavor by adding some garlic powder or garlic salt to the meat.   

Do you like the Insta Pot?  Honestly, I can't imagine buying one.  It reminds me of when Microwaves came out and they were being sold as the replacement for your conventional oven.  That never happened.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I always find it harder to give Franch Dip sandwiches a lot of flavor because you basically just have the meat, bread and au jus.  You can add more flavor by adding some garlic powder or garlic salt to the meat.   

Do you like the Insta Pot?  Honestly, I can't imagine buying one.  It reminds me of when Microwaves came out and they were being sold as the replacement for your conventional oven.  That never happened.

We use our Instant Pot 3 or 4 times a week

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That recipe calls for toasting the hoagie buns with butter and garlic salt, but I didn't do that so probably I should have added garlic salt to the meat like you suggest.

My wife wanted the Insta Pot. It's basically a digital pressure cooker, so it can do things like canning and quick versions of crockpot recipes. I like it for making yogurt as it has a setting for that. But I'm not sure we get enough use out of it to make it worth the space it takes up in the kitchen. Plus either my wife or I is home most days to be able to cook dinner, so we might use it more if time for making dinner was an issue.

@GSG, what do you make in the Insta Pot? And how do you like it compared to traditional cooking or even crockpots?

Just now, RedDenver said:

@GSG, what do you make in the Insta Pot? And how do you like it compared to traditional cooking or even cr

We've made a lot of different stuff. We made a ton of soup the other night. I'll have to get more info from my girlfriend since I usually just do the prep work/clean-up or I go outside and grill :D  

• Plus1 1

On 12/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, RedDenver said:

That recipe calls for toasting the hoagie buns with butter and garlic salt, but I didn't do that so probably I should have added garlic salt to the meat like you suggest.

Follow up: had the leftover french dip and this time toasted the buns with butter and garlic salt which did make it a bit better especially the crunchiness of the toasted buns. Then I tried reducing the au jus by half and that made a big difference giving the juice a lot more concentrated flavor. If I make it again, I'll saute some garlic with the onions and reduce the au jus at the end.

• Plus1 1

I love my Instant Pot. I made these beef ribs the other night. They come out perfect.

Pressure Cooker Short Ribs

3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
Additional salt and pepper, optional

Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker and adjust for high heat. Add oil. Working in batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a plate and keep warm.

Add onions to cooker; cook and stir until tender, 8-9 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in beef broth, wine, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add ribs back to cooker, partially but not fully submerging them. Lock lid in place; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 40 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Add carrots; bring back to full pressure and cook 7 minutes. Quick-release pressure according to manufacturer's directions.

Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Select saute setting and adjust for high heat; bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve with ribs and vegetables.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I love my Instant Pot. I made these beef ribs the other night. They come out perfect.

Pressure Cooker Short Ribs

3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
4 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
Additional salt and pepper, optional

Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker and adjust for high heat. Add oil. Working in batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a plate and keep warm.

Add onions to cooker; cook and stir until tender, 8-9 minutes. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in beef broth, wine, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add ribs back to cooker, partially but not fully submerging them. Lock lid in place; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 40 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Add carrots; bring back to full pressure and cook 7 minutes. Quick-release pressure according to manufacturer's directions.

Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Select saute setting and adjust for high heat; bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Serve with ribs and vegetables.

Sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to give that a try.