Going To Eat This

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....if it doesn’t have bones, it’s not a wing. It’s a chicken nugget. 

I agree wholeheartedly. But we both know many places serve or have options for chunks of breast meat and call them wings. I learned not too long ago that there is a severe shortage of actual chicken wings. That is why the price on bone-in wings has increased and prompted the rise in serving boneless wings (aka chicken nuggets).

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree wholeheartedly. But we both know many places serve or have options for chunks of breast meat and call them wings. I learned not too long ago that there is a severe shortage of actual chicken wings. That is why the price on bone-in wings has increased and prompted the rise in serving boneless wings (aka chicken nuggets).

Interesting. Didn’t know that. 

Sounds like a problem caused by great marketing. 

Its like how brisket used to be the cheap junk meat nobody wanted. Now it’s pretty expensive. 

Ill have people want want me to cook brisket for an event....till they see the price. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting. Didn’t know that. 

Sounds like a problem caused by great marketing. 

Its like how brisket used to be the cheap junk meat nobody wanted. Now it’s pretty expensive. 

Ill have people want want me to cook brisket for an event....till they see the price. 

I'm guessing the proliferation of smoking meat has had great impact on the price of brisket. Nobody wants that cut of meat cooked in the kitchen but 16 hours on wood, low and slow....that's a whole different story :D

I hadn't really thought much about wings but simple math tells us you only get 4 pieces of true wing segments per bird. If you eat 10 or 12 in a sitting, that's 2.5 to 3 birds worth of wings per person. Stands to reason availability would get out of whack compared to the rest of the chicken.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:52 AM, RedDenver said:

FYI, chicken drumsticks are inexpensive still. The organic ones at Costco are $1.89/lb, and you can find non-organic for less than that.

Relatively speaking they are still affordable. But places that sell both kinds are increasing the price of bone in wings and encouraging us to go with the less expensive boneless variety. Not long ago both were the same price. It may be that supply and demand aren't way out of whack but it seems to be headed in that direction.

30 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Relatively speaking they are still affordable. But places that sell both kinds are increasing the price of bone in wings and encouraging us to go with the less expensive boneless variety. Not long ago both were the same price. It may be that supply and demand aren't way out of whack but it seems to be headed in that direction.

Always buy bone-in. Never know what they might add to the boneless type.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, hskerprid said:

Steak au poivre with Yukon gold and smoked Gouda mashed potatoes served with roasted asparagus with a balsamic, port reduction. Gonna follow up with vanilla creme brulee with a raspberry coulis. Making this for the wife on Valentine's day. The things that you have to do when you're an executive chef.

Do you watch Binging with Babish?

• 2 weeks later...