The 1990 Volleyball Regional Championship - Penn State at Nebraska.

Making this into a topic because it's such a fun story.  This is what I related in the Status Update from last night:

Funny story. Like 1990 or 1992, Penn State got sent to the Coliseum for a regional. They were 42-0, and had lost like four sets all season. We could only fit 4,000 in the Coliseum for a match, but we sounded like 10,000. 

Maybe game two of the match, Penn State has four hits that were seen by everyone but the officials. Pettit was pissed, Noth was pissed, and the fans were livid. PSU got the point, there was an argument after the play, bedlam. But the call stood.

So the fans started helping the officials out. Every time Penn State touched the ball, we counted. ONE. TWO. THREE. Next time, ONE, TWO, THREE. Louder and louder. It was the loudest sporting event I've ever been to. Dust was literally falling off the roof beams. 

It rattled Penn State.  Bad. Steve, the PA announcer, had to tell the fans to stop. So we stopped. But every hit, every block, every dig, we erupted. Noise like a wall. 

We beat Penn State 3-1 that night. I think my ears were ringing for two days afterward. 

I know this isn't the same thing. I just think it's a cool story.

Good morning! Did some checking, turns out that was the 1990 match. Penn State was 42-0, I remembered that correctly. We won the first two games of that match 15-12 & 16-14. PSU won the third 15-10, and I think that blown call must have happened in that game, because we TROUNCED them in the fourth, 15-5. That sent Penn State Christmas shopping, and sent Nebraska to the Final Four, where we lost to Pacific, who then lost to Andy Banachowski's UCLA team in the Finals. 

I've got to run again, but later today or maybe tomorrow I'll try to dig up an article or some video on that 1990 match. I'll do some asking around.

I can't find the 1990 match on YouTube, and it's highly unlikely it's out there. I don't think even NET was broadcasting that match. Back then, women's volleyball wasn't something people put on TV, unless it was the title match, and even then those were sometimes tape-delayed. 

Just for fun, here's an obscenely poor copy of the 1995 National Championship match between Nebraska and Texas, which I watched sick as a dog laying on my couch hoping we'd either win or lose in three so I could go back to bed.  The Huskers dropped a game to the Longhorns, but CJ, Billie Jean & Allie were too much & we won our first national championship in four.  And I flipped off the TV and promptly fell into a coma.

Here's a slightly better video of 1995 highlights.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1