Western Nebraska...scenic views, bars?

I am taking a trip next year through Nebraska to Colorado (I-80). Are there any spots that have good scenic views in Western Nebraska that you would recommend or some cool small town bars, landmarks or restaurants? Hoping to not venture too far off the interstate if possible 

Thanks for the suggestions! 

9 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I am taking a trip next year through Nebraska to Colorado (I-80). Are there any spots that have good scenic views in Western Nebraska that you would recommend or some cool small town bars, landmarks or restaurants? Hoping to not venture too far off the interstate if possible 

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Well....if you want the most scenic views of Nebraska, you would get off I-80.  For me, the most beautiful views are taking highway 20 across the top of the state.....drop down through Arthur, Ogalalla and then on to Colorado.  You could even go on to Scotts Bluff then down to Cheyenne.  I just love the northern part of the state and the Sandhills.  But, that's just me.

If you need to stay farther south, I would go to Beatrice, Minden, Holdrege...McCook.  Two lane highway, and would take longer than I-80.

If you're set on staying on I-80, you can get off at Cozad and go south to Camp Cameca.  At the top fo the hill, there is a cool look out point where you can see the entire valley.  I would also take the drive north of Ogallala across the dam across the lake, take the highway along the north shore and then drop back down to the interstate.

Restaurants:

Ole's Big Game Lounge in Paxton.

The Feed Store in Arapahoe

Belle Italia in Cozad

Chances R in York

• Plus1 2

Ole's Big Game bar in Paxton. Only about 1 mile off the interstate. Serviceable food, cool collection of stuffed animals.

The Archway Monument over I-80 in Kearney. Pretty neat and interesting.

Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles by Lexington. I've never actually stopped there but have heard it's worthwhile if that interests you.

I've travelled across I-80 to and from Eastern Nebraska more times than I can recall. I'm gonna say there are some things worth stopping and looking at but scenic it is not. As BRB said you're going to have to get way off of I-80 to experience any true scenery.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....if you want the most scenic views of Nebraska, you would get off I-80.  For me, the most beautiful views are taking highway 20 across the top of the state.....drop down through Arthur, Ogalalla and then on to Colorado.  You could even go on to Scotts Bluff then down to Cheyenne.  I just love the northern part of the state and the Sandhills.  But, that's just me.

If you need to stay farther south, I would go to Beatrice, Minden, Holdrege...McCook.  Two lane highway, and would take longer than I-80.

If you're set on staying on I-80, you can get off at Cozad and go south to Camp Cameca.  At the top fo the hill, there is a cool look out point where you can see the entire valley.  I would also take the drive north of Ogallala across the dam across the lake, take the highway along the north shore and then drop back down to the interstate.

Restaurants:

Ole's Big Game Lounge in Paxton.

The Feed Store in Arapahoe

Belle Italia in Cozad

Chances R in York

Get some onion rings from Mac's Drive In in McCook. I'd recommend the giant Burger at Fuller's, too, but the original restaurant burned down a few years ago, and I don't know if the food is the same or not. 

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I don't know where you're going but I'd say just take I-80 to Cheyenne then head south on I-25.  There's no scenery if you diverge onto I-76 straight into Colorado.

C’mon, what :dunno.... you don’t consider sage brush, dirt and prairie dogs scenery?:lol:

You're right though, it’s a better looking drive going to Cheyenne and then south.  I-76 in it’s entirety is not pretty.  If your destination is Loveland/Ft Collins/Greeley, it’s not really noticeably longer to go through Cheyenne. If you’re going to Boulder/Denver or south, then it’s a fair amount out of the way.

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

C’mon, what :dunno.... you don’t consider sage brush, dirt and prairie dogs scenery?:lol:

You're right though, it’s a better looking drive going to Cheyenne and then south.  I-76 in it’s entirety is not pretty.  If your destination is Loveland/Ft Collins/Greeley, it’s not really noticeably longer to go through Cheyenne. If you’re going to Boulder/Denver or south, then it’s a fair amount out of the way.

Unless there is a freak storm in Cheyenne, which happens pretty often. We got stuck in traffic due to the 6 inches of hail this summer

15 minutes ago, GSG said:

Unless there is a freak storm in Cheyenne, which happens pretty often. We got stuck in traffic due to the 6 inches of hail this summer

Or the wind or white-out conditions or driving rain or......seems there is always some weather related thing going on I-80 east of Cheyenne.