Urban Meyer to Retire...how does this affect Huskers in 2019 and beyond

Reports out that Meyer is retiring after the Rose Bowl. This could make for some instability in the OSU program despite current assistsnt Ryan Day will be taking over.  

OSU will still get plenty of recruits but Day is not a proven head coach as Tressel and Meyer were before taking over. Seems a bit of risk to me for an OSU program that has dominated the BIG most of this century.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is Day the permanent replacement or interim?

I think this is good for any other team in the conference. It’s extremely difficult to follow a coach with this kind of success. 

The conference needs tge the best coaches possible. 

Time for Frost to take his spot at the top. 

Meyer will coach the Rose Bowl and he wants Day to succeed him similar to Lincoln Riley succeeding Stoops at OU

If they keep the core staff of guys like Mickey Marotti and Mark Pantoni, then I can see OSU rolling along. It will be hard to continue the kind of success they have been having over the last 7 years. The best case is the transition Oklahoma just took from Stoops, and we can all imagine what the worse case is. 

2 minutes ago, jaws said:

If they keep the core staff of guys like Mickey Marotti and Mark Pantoni, then I can see OSU rolling along. It will be hard to continue the kind of success they have been having over the last 7 years. The best case is the transition Oklahoma just took from Stoops, and we can all imagine what the worse case is. 

Personally I think Day will do a fine job. Lpok for OSU to continue their success even if its at a very slightly lower standard than under Urban. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wanted Frost to beat them with Meyer as coach. 

I think Meyer realized Frost and other newcomers like Brohm were going to make his life in BIG difficult and he was ready to step aside. I also think the scandal to start this year affected Meyer as his team was not as crisp this year despite having oodles of talent.

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think Meyer realized Frost and other newcomers like Brohm were going to make his life in BIG difficult and he was ready to step aside. I also think the scandal to start this year affected Meyer as his team was not as crisp this year despite having oodles of talent.

I'm wondering if maybe a few months ago the school administration just cut a deal to let him coach this year since it was close to the start of the season and that he would be gone after that.

• Plus1 1