Urban Meyer to Retire...how does this affect Huskers in 2019 and beyond

1 minute ago, Toe said:

I'm wondering if maybe a few months ago the school administration just cut a deal to let him coach this year since it was close to the start of the season and that he would be gone after that.

From everything Cris Carter and Herbie has said, I don't think that was the case. 

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm wondering if maybe a few months ago the school administration just cut a deal to let him coach this year since it was close to the start of the season and that he would be gone after that.

That's not the official way it played out.  But that's essentially how it played out.

1 hour ago, jaws said:

If they keep the core staff of guys like Mickey Marotti and Mark Pantoni, then I can see OSU rolling along. It will be hard to continue the kind of success they have been having over the last 7 years. The best case is the transition Oklahoma just took from Stoops, and we can all imagine what the worse case is. 

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Meyer will coach the Rose Bowl and he wants Day to succeed him similar to Lincoln Riley succeeding Stoops at OU

That all sounds good....but.....sometimes that doesn't work out very well.  Got a little experience with that.

• Plus1 2

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.  Hopefully he's able to recover from his health related issues and ride off into the sunset.

I think the offense will actually improve a little under Day.  They seemed to be more open to the deep kill shot (granted having Haskins is helpful) when he was the HC earlier in the year.  Where I think tOSU will see a step back, and where Urbs earned his money is in the big games.  Love him or hate him, outside of Saban and maybe Petersen if I had one game I absolutely needed to win, it's hard to argue there is a better choice than Meyer.  

Completely agree with @jaws that they need Larry Johnson to stay.  He is an absolute beast.

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.  Hopefully he's able to recover from his health related issues and ride off into the sunset.

I think the offense will actually improve a little under Day.  They seemed to be more open to the deep kill shot (granted having Haskins is helpful) when he was the HC earlier in the year.  Where I think tOSU will see a step back, and where Urbs earned his money is in the big games.  Love him or hate him, outside of Saban and maybe Petersen if I had one game I absolutely needed to win, it's hard to argue there is a better choice than Meyer.  

Completely agree with @jaws that they need Larry Johnson to stay.  He is an absolute beast.

he will sit out this upcoming season and be hired during bowl season next year most likely by someone like USC after they totally tank this upcoming year. Meyer will have a surgery or some new medication that has made him able to cope with his condition. I trust nothing Urban says so I am excited to see him lie today because he sucks at lying 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2