Martinez and the QB running game.

Cdog923

A featured running back was once expected to carry 25 times a game, and nobody considered this a risk to the player, or over-dependence on the play. Dual-threat QBs are often the best athlete on the team, and a dozen carries a game utilizes that threat. Some games more, some games less. 

The thinking is always that you don't want the QB to get hurt, and yeah, it's a very different team if Martinez goes down. But I'd just as soon he hook slide or slip out of bounds during a running play than take a blindside hit on a pocket pass. 

35 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's funny because there are a few posters on here who think AM stays in the pocket too long and wants him to take off and run sooner.  I am not saying you are one of these people, but there can be such a wide variety of opinions on AM in here.

Yeah, the variety is certainly interesting and I would even say contradictory at times.

I believe I read something within the last year about the successes of 'dual threat' or 'mobile' QB's in the spread offense. I don't recall if it was directly related to Frost or not, but, it statistically suggested that the dual threat QB's with a pass first, run second mentality are far more valuable and more successful in these systems. I believe it mentioned guys like Mariota and Newton, two QB's who could run the ball well but their passing skills were what truly put them over the top.

If I had a preference, I'd rather have a pass first, run second guy in this offense who will exhaust his passing options before exploring the rushing ones. That type of player appears to excel more in the spread system.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Yeah, the variety is certainly interesting and I would even say contradictory at times.

I believe I read something within the last year about the successes of 'dual threat' or 'mobile' QB's in the spread offense. I don't recall if it was directly related to Frost or not, but, it statistically suggested that the dual threat QB's with a pass first, run second mentality are far more valuable and more successful in these systems. I believe it mentioned guys like Mariota and Newton, two QB's who could run the ball well but their passing skills were what truly put them over the top.

If I had a preference, I'd rather have a pass first, run second guy in this offense who will exhaust his passing options before exploring the rushing ones. That type of player appears to excel more in the spread system.

I agree 100%. In that thread I referenced, I came to the conclusion that Joe Ganz would be a better fit for Frost's offense than Taylor Martinez would. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

A featured running back was once expected to carry 25 times a game, and nobody considered this a risk to the player, or over-dependence on the play. Dual-threat QBs are often the best athlete on the team, and a dozen carries a game utilizes that threat. Some games more, some games less. 

The thinking is always that you don't want the QB to get hurt, and yeah, it's a very different team if Martinez goes down. But I'd just as soon he hook slide or slip out of bounds during a running play than take a blindside hit on a pocket pass. 

I have always said that a QB is way more susceptible to injury standing in the pocket looking down field and getting blind sided than actually running the ball and protecting themselves.

Damon Benning has discussed this topic a couple times on his morning show. Basically Frost has told him with AMart they have the entire QB run game at their disposal. Frost mentioned with Mariota they had to be careful because he wasn't big enough to handle all qb runs. 

It's good to know Frost thinks this was with Martinez. Just gotta keep the kid healthy now. 

• Plus1 1

I think his running attempts will go down a few per game as he gets acclimated to the offense, gets to know his offensive teammates strengths and tendencies. I am really encouraged about the coaching staff's ability to develop players. Pretty much every position performed much better as the season went on. 

I am not too worried about the loss of some very good players to graduation, there are more on the way.

I understand the concern for Martinez "running it too much" and how it may result in an injury.  However, Martinez's running ability is one of the best weapons of the offense.  I think he will an even better/faster runner next season as he gets a little stronger and not hampered by the knee injury he suffered against Colorado.  Why should we limit one of the best aspects of the offense?  We may limit his attempts against weaker teams, but he should be fully used against tougher opponents.

• Fire 1
On 12/4/2018 at 12:31 PM, Cdog923 said:

Back in January, I looked at what kind of QB would be the most effective in Coach Frost's offense, particularly in the run game (Look here). Sam McKewon looked at the stats from the past year, and just in terms of Big Ten games, AMart ran the ball roughly 13.67 times a game in-conference. This is the 2nd most carries per game of any Big Ten QB behind AJ Bush, and (in terms of Nebraska QBs in conference games), the third most behind 2011 TMart and 2012 TMart. 

Now, if we look back at the old topic, in Frost's most successful offenses, the QB has averaged around 8 carries a game. AMart (in the entire season), averaged 12.7. Now, I'm not saying that the 2018 offense was a failure; it was a gigantic upgrade from the last two offenses. However, there's a hole in the offense that is requiring the QB run game to fit into, and I am a bit alarmed that we'll have to require Martinez to do even more next year to fill it, what with the losses of Ozigbo and Morgan. There are some other holes on offense that need to be filled at RB and WR, and particularly on the offensive line. 

TL;DR: Martinez ran the ball a bit too much this year for the offense, and I'm afraid he'll have to shoulder even more of the load next year until depth behind Washington and Spielman is built. 

I have to disagree with this and see no worries.  Marty made some running plays when the pocket quickly collapsed on him. I don't think they called his number all that much.  And I am not worried about an idea that there won't be running backs good enough next season that the offense will have to overuse Adrian in passing and running.  Opportunity is there for the backs, it's their job, they all cannot wait to run. 

It's all good, next man up, and Martinez will keep doing his thing within the game :)

1 hour ago, admo said:

I have to disagree with this and see no worries.  Marty made some running plays when the pocket quickly collapsed on him. I don't think they called his number all that much.  And I am not worried about an idea that there won't be running backs good enough next season that the offense will have to overuse Adrian in passing and running.  Opportunity is there for the backs, it's their job, they all cannot wait to run. 

It's all good, next man up, and Martinez will keep doing his thing within the game :)

Please don’t call him Marty. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, admo said:

i think Wandale and Mo can handle most of the running.......