ILB Choe Bryant-Strother [UCLA - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

57 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Bryant-Strother commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Some teams in a 3-4 recruit natural LBs out of HS and some recruit weakside DEs....the way we use our OLBs I don't udnerstand why we go the DE route...

I think that’s why they’re recruiting guys that can handle a mixture of both. I do agree that I see a lot of Davis and Tannor double dipping in what they are asked to do.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:49 PM, BIG ERN said:

You guys must be watching different games than I am...

From the first half against Indiana:

First Indiana Possession:

Davis pass rush - Davis inside stunt pass rush - Davis lines up over center and pass rush stunts to the outside - Davis is the read on zone read, chases RB after give - Davis covers the flat against a four-wide set on 2nd & Long (Domann does the same on the other side) - Davis pass rush - Davis slow-plays the zone read fake then drops to the flat on play action - Davis pass rush - Running play away from Davis - Davis pass rush

Second Indiana Possession:

Nelson crashes to make tackle on Inside Zone - Nelson starts pass rush then drops to flat - Nelson widens on slot then drops to flat - Nelson jams TE then get pressure on QB - Nelson widens on slot then blitzes middle - Nelson drops to flat - Nelson crashes on zone read, QB pulls and scores a TD

Third Indiana Possession:

Davis pass rush (Indiana TD after Vedral fumble)

Fourth Indiana Possession:

Davis slow-plays zone read, chases RB - Davis pass rush - Davis jams TE and reads run - Davis pass rush - Davis pass rush - Davis pass rush

Fifth Indiana Possession:

Davis pass rush - Davis inside stunt, chases QB run - Davis pass rush - Davis pass rush, INT off deflection

So, yes, I think we are actually watching a different game than you are.  We are actually watching what is going on with the defense.  Not sure what you're watching.

That spot is playing DE over 90% of the time.  Basically the only time it has pass coverage responsibilities is when there is a TE/Wing to the wide side of the field (this OLB is always lined up to the boundary) with two WRs to the boundary, then it has flat responsibilities.  There was never a time when it was "chasing WRs down the field".

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

From the first half against Indiana:

First Indiana Possession:

Davis pass rush - Davis inside stunt pass rush - Davis lines up over center and pass rush stunts to the outside - Davis is the read on zone read, chases RB after give - Davis covers the flat against a four-wide set on 2nd & Long (Domann does the same on the other side) - Davis pass rush - Davis slow-plays the zone read fake then drops to the flat on play action - Davis pass rush - Running play away from Davis - Davis pass rush

Second Indiana Possession:

Nelson crashes to make tackle on Inside Zone - Nelson starts pass rush then drops to flat - Nelson widens on slot then drops to flat - Nelson jams TE then get pressure on QB - Nelson widens on slot then blitzes middle - Nelson drops to flat - Nelson crashes on zone read, QB pulls and scores a TD

Third Indiana Possession:

Davis pass rush (Indiana TD after Vedral fumble)

Fourth Indiana Possession:

Davis slow-plays zone read, chases RB - Davis pass rush - Davis jams TE and reads run - Davis pass rush - Davis pass rush - Davis pass rush

Fifth Indiana Possession:

Davis pass rush - Davis inside stunt, chases QB run - Davis pass rush - Davis pass rush, INT off deflection

So, yes, I think we are actually watching a different game than you are.  We are actually watching what is going on with the defense.  Not sure what you're watching.

That spot is playing DE over 90% of the time.  Basically the only time it has pass coverage responsibilities is when there is a TE/Wing to the wide side of the field (this OLB is always lined up to the boundary) with two WRs to the boundary, then it has flat responsibilities.  There was never a time when it was "chasing WRs down the field".

1) I posted this before the Indiana game

2) You just stated that Alex Davis rushed the QB 15x against Indiana. Take that (x) 8 games and that is rushing the QB approx 120x this season with ZERO sacks on the year. Not to mention only 2 TFL. 

3) I also never stated we never have our OLB rush and only chase the WR but I can for sure point out in previous games where Davis has been covering rbs and receivers and been completely burnt or out of position. 

If my main goal is to have an OLB get to the QB and he has played in 22 career games with only 1.5 sacks. I see that as a problem. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

2) You just stated that Alex Davis rushed the QB 15x against Indiana. Take that (x) 8 games and that is rushing the QB approx 120x this season with ZERO sacks on the year. Not to mention only 2 TFL. 

3) I also never stated we never have our OLB rush and only chase the WR but I can for sure point out in previous games where Davis has been covering rbs and receivers and been completely burnt or out of position. 

If my main goal is to have an OLB get to the QB and he has played in 22 career games with only 1.5 sacks. I see that as a problem. 

You're definitely right about the lack of production from that position. The problem is unfortunately we have a lack of options at this point. I'm a fan of Nelson because of his motor, but he's just a freshman. 

30 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

You're definitely right about the lack of production from that position. The problem is unfortunately we have a lack of options at this point. I'm a fan of Nelson because of his motor, but he's just a freshman. 

Garrett Nelson is an exciting player to watch out for in the future.  He's out there going a hundred miles an hour with fire in his eyes.  Problem is, he's making Freshman mistakes.  I can think of two TDs from this game that either he ran right by the ball carrier or the BC ran right by him.  Both times, if he was simply aware of what is going on, he could have had an easy TFL.  

He needs to keep going 100 mph with fire in his eyes.....but be way more aware of what's going on around him.

That can be coached and it's going to be really interesting to see how it turns out.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Yes, I realize you posted before the Indiana game.  But how we are using that OLB spot hasn't changed.  I just had the Indiana game handy so I used that to document how we use that OLB spot.

You weren't arguing production earlier.  You were arguing how we use them and what kind of player we use in that position.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:17 AM, BIG ERN said:

Some teams in a 3-4 recruit natural LBs out of HS and some recruit weakside DEs....the way we use our OLBs I don't udnerstand why we go the DE route...

If we are using him as a pass rusher/DE 90% of the time, that's why we recruit some OLBs that are DE types - and also recruit some more play-in-space OLBs - because we use them in both ways.

There might have been a play or two here and there where he was in pass coverage - as I pointed out - but that is the very small minority of what we are asking that position to do.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Decked said:

We’re so boned at LB recruiting from these past few years I don’t think it matters who is teaching/calling plays. Giffords little brother needs to get offered already. 

Amen to the Gifford offer. Not understanding the slow play as his high school coach said he is definitely D1 material, has a hunger to play for the Huskers, and evidently has tested as well or better than anybody in their program. So what's the issue?

• Mavric changed the title to ILB Choe Bryant-Strother [UCLA - Signed LOI]