Redux fixes the playoff

Redux

Round 1, Played weekend following regular seasons end/This year December 1st

(This round takes place on Championship Weekend because it is basically still just Championship weekend.  The only difference is that now, if the Independents want to be considered for a playoff spot, they must partake in a 13th game or just nut up and join a conference.  From a sheer numbers standpoint, this makes a "22 team" playoff.  Obviously not all 11 winners will advance but it puts them in a much better position for getting in and for seeding purposes.)

SEC East

SEC West

Big 12 #1

Big 12 #2

Pac 12 North

Pac 12 South

Big Ten East

Big Ten West

ACC Atlantic

ACC Coastal

American East

American West

Sun Belt Group A

Sun Belt Group B

C-USA East

C-USA West

MtnWest Mountain

MtnWest West

MAC East

MAC West

Independent #1

Independent #2

Round 2, played after a bye week following Round 1/This year December 15th

Automatic Advance Spots: ACC, Big 12, SEC, Pac 12, Big Ten and Top Ranked Group of 5 Champion

(Now that championship weekend has concluded and we have our 11 victors, we will unfortunately eliminate some of them until we have our 8 spots filled.  The committee now finalizes the 8 spots and seeds them accordingly.  The Power 5 Conference Champion winners are automatically in.  I don't give a hoot if Northwestern knocks off Ohio State, they are now in.  Why?  Becasue THAT makes the regular season matter!  Because THAT makes winning your conference actually still mean something!  But don't worry, if you go 12-0 and lose in the title game you aren't out just yet at 12-1.

The top ranked Group of 5 Champion gets in.  That's the whole reason for playoff expansion.  This spot will be decided by the committee based off S.O.S, W/L record and where they finished ranked.  You know, the stuff they are supposed to take into consideration now but kinda don't.

The remaining 2 spots will be decided by the committee.  These two spots can go to a highly ranked independent, a team that lost in their conference title game but didn't drop very far ie; an at large, or even another group of 5 champion if there is another say undefeated group of 5 team that slid into the top 10.  These 2 spots will almost always go to the SEC runner up, an SEC didn't quite win it's division ie; Alabama, or of course Indy darling Notre Dame.  But it opens the door for more teams.  This round is played at the higher ranked teams stadium OR a neutral site favoring higher seed if weather makes that impossible.  AQ- Automatic Qualifer    AL- At Large)

#1 SEC West- AQ

#8 Independent- AL

#2 ACC Atlantic- AQ

# 7 American East- AQ

#3 Big 12 #1- AQ

#6 Pac 12 South- AQ

#4 Big Ten East- AQ

#5 SEC East- AL

Round 3, played after another bye week/This year December 29th

(Pretty self explanatory at this point, the 4 teams that won advance.  These games will be played in the major bowl rotation like the Peach, Fiesta, Sugar, Cotton and Orange.  The Rose Bowl bias needs to go.  Some accommodations can be made to protect the "integrity" of it's traditional pairings....but really not many people care anymore that it's a Big Ten vs Pac 12 game.)

#1 SEC West

#6 Pac 12 South

#7 American East

#4 Big Ten East

Round 4, The Championship Match, Played a week and a couple days following Round 3/This year January 7th

(Personally, I think this game should be played on a Saturday.  I've always hated how it's on a Monday.  But hey, it is what it is and this format seems to work.  If we could move it to Saturday great, if not oh well.  Nothing earth shattering here, the site is among the same 6 major bowl rotation sites and this game is the meeting of the final 2 teams)

#1 SEC West

#4 Big Ten East

There you have it folks.  It gives those runner up teams AND the Group of 5 an open door to get in.  It spaces the games out nicely and doesn't make the teams overly worked, plus gives those who set the games up time to do so.  It makes the regular season matter.  It makes winning your division matter.  It makes winning your conference matter.  It basically fixes everything, you're welcome.

But what of the other bowl games?  Honestly I don't even care about them.  The bowl system is such a corrupt joke I've soured on them unless Nebraska is playing.  We have WAY too many to even care about most of them.  So, I would say cut them down to around 20 bowls.  That's 40 spots for 40 deserving teams, meaning no more bowls for 5-7 teams.  Aww......shucks.  This would make getting a bowl bid mean something again too.  Now, someone with the power to do so, pass this along to the committee and let's get this officially setup.  I don't need the thing named after me, but a nice payment would do.  Maybe even some free yearly tickets to playoff games.  Again, you're welcome.

• Plus1 4

18 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This is pretty much what I agree with, with once exception: the best G5 team only gets in if they're in the top 10. 

I like this, actually had a similar note in there originally.  Problem with it is the rankings can be manipulated.  I would prefer it be something like top 15 and only if they have 1 or 2 losses MAX.

35 minutes ago, Redux said:

Round 1, Played weekend following regular seasons end/This year December 1st

(This round takes place on Championship Weekend because it is basically still just Championship weekend.  The only difference is that now, if the Independents want to be considered for a playoff spot, they must partake in a 13th game or just nut up and join a conference.  From a sheer numbers standpoint, this makes a "22 team" playoff.  Obviously not all 11 winners will advance but it puts them in a much better position for getting in and for seeding purposes.)

SEC East - Georgia

SEC West - Alabama

Big 12 #1 - Oklahoma

Big 12 #2 - Texas

Pac 12 North - Washington

Pac 12 South - Utah

Big Ten East - Ohio St

Big Ten West - Northwestern

ACC Atlantic - Clemson

ACC Coastal - Pitt

American East - UCF

American West - Memphis

Sun Belt Group A - Appalachian St

Sun Belt Group B - Louisiana

C-USA East - Middle Tennessee

C-USA West - UAB

MtnWest Mountain - Boise St

MtnWest West - Fresno St

MAC East - Buffalo

MAC West - Northern Illinois

Independent #1 - Notre Dame

Independent #2 - Army?

I'm trying to get an idea of what this would look like this year.

So the 11 winners would be:

Alabama

Oklahoma

Washington

Ohio St

Clemson

UCF

Appalachian St

UAB

Fresno St

Northern Illinois

Notre Dame

Then the 8 for the playoff would be:

Alabama

Oklahoma

Washington

Ohio St

Clemson

UCF

Notre Dame

Georgia(?)

Is that where we're at?

• Plus1 1

You're too late to this party.  I fixed it years ago:

• Eight team playoff
  • Five Power 5 Conference Champions (provided they are in the Top 12 of the final standings)
  • Highest-rated Group of Five Champion auto-qualifies if they are in the Top 12
  • Remaining teams chosen by committee
  • No more than two per conference

Now that the field is set, how does the playoff itself actually work and how does it mesh with the other bowls?

• Those eight teams are locked into New Year's Six bowls on a rotating basis (as they do now with four)
  • Remaining bowl assignments can proceed as they currently do
  • Higher-seeded teams host the quarter final game two weeks after CCG weekend
  • The four teams that lose in the quarter finals will be matched up in two pre-determined New Year's Six bowl games (rotating)
  • The four teams that win in the quarter finals will move on to two other New Year's Six games as the semi-finals (rotating, as they do now)
  • Championship game one week later (as it is now)

Bowl structure preserved.  Conference championships matter.  Group of Five teams have a chance.  Doesn't extend the season (time-wise).  Bowl season begins and ends with a bang.

QED

• Plus1 7
8 minutes ago, GSG said:

I'm trying to get an idea of what this would look like this year.

So the 11 winners would be:

Alabama

Oklahoma

Washington

Ohio St

Clemson

UCF

Appalachian St

UAB

Fresno St

Northern Illinois

Notre Dame

Then the 8 for the playoff would be:

Alabama

Oklahoma

Washington

Ohio St

Clemson

UCF

Notre Dame

Georgia(?)

Is that where we're at?

You are correct sir

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

You're too late to this party.  I fixed it years ago:

• Eight team playoff
  • Five Power 5 Conference Champions (provided they are in the Top 12 of the final standings)
  • Highest-rated Group of Five Champion auto-qualifies if they are in the Top 12
  • Remaining teams chosen by committee
  • No more than two per conference

Now that the field is set, how does the playoff itself actually work and how does it mesh with the other bowls?

• Those eight teams are locked into New Year's Six bowls on a rotating basis (as they do now with four)
  • Remaining bowl assignments can proceed as they currently do
  • Higher-seeded teams host the quarter final game two weeks after CCG weekend
  • The four teams that lose in the quarter finals will be matched up in two pre-determined New Year's Six bowl games (rotating)
  • The four teams that win in the quarter finals will move on to two other New Year's Six games as the semi-finals (rotating, as they do now)
  • Championship game one week later (as it is now)

Bowl structure preserved.  Conference championships matter.  Group of Five teams have a chance.  Doesn't extend the season (time-wise).  Bowl season begins and ends with a bang.

QED

I like this for the most part, but I'm anti-top 12 ccg winners only. I think maybe the caveat should be that they are either in the top 12 or beat a top 12 team. We all love the double digit seed going into the elite eight in March. As long as they can prove they beat top talent I think they should be in.  I also think that the G5 winner needs an auto in (would also need to figure out what to do with ND) no matter what. Otherwise, you're gonna find suddenly that G5s won't ever be in the top 12. 

25 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

I like this for the most part, but I'm anti-top 12 ccg winners only. I think maybe the caveat should be that they are either in the top 12 or beat a top 12 team. We all love the double digit seed going into the elite eight in March. As long as they can prove they beat top talent I think they should be in.  I also think that the G5 winner needs an auto in (would also need to figure out what to do with ND) no matter what. Otherwise, you're gonna find suddenly that G5s won't ever be in the top 12. 

I guess I think there needs to be some floor.  I think being in the playoff should be tied to having a great regular season, not just being lucky to win a bad conference.

Same with the highest-rated G5 winner.  I can see the argument that the committee might never rank them in the Top 12 but if we didn't have UCF this year, the next highest-rated G5 team would be #21 Fresno State that lost to Minnesota and I don't think would have any hope of competing with Alabama. 

So my theory is you don't absolutely have to be one of the top 8 teams to get in, but you have to be pretty close to that.  In 2012 Wisconsin wasn't even ranked but won the B1G.  I don't think that's playoff-worthy.

36 minutes ago, jaws said:

Two teams will play a 16 game season? No thanks. 

This argument has come up every time the season gets longer. 

"Play a conference championship game!??!?  That would be 14 games!!!!"

"A four-team playoff!??!?!?  That would be 15 games!!!!!"

It's possible that two FCS teams could play 16 game seasons (though 15 is much more likely).  It's very possible that two D-II teams will play 16 games.  D-III teams play 15 games.  I fail to see how that is significantly different than two FBS teams playing a 16th game - especially since those games in FBS would be spread out over nearly a month more allowing for more recovery time.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This argument has come up every time the season gets longer. 

"Play a conference championship game!??!?  That would be 14 games!!!!"

"A four-team playoff!??!?!?  That would be 15 games!!!!!"

It's possible that two FCS teams could play 16 game seasons (though 15 is much more likely).  It's very possible that two D-II teams will play 16 games.  D-III teams play 15 games.  I fail to see how that is significantly different than two FBS teams playing a 16th game - especially since those games in FBS would be spread out over nearly a month more allowing for more recovery time.

The more time on the field and practice, the higher the chances are that someone gets hurt. Remember these kids are not getting paid, and some of them need to think about their future (potential NFL careers). 

Trust me, I understand the amount of football guys in the lower divisions play.  I also understand the amount of football some of these kids play in HS. At some point in time, less is more.