Redux fixes the playoff

Redux

Sorry, G5 teams need not apply. They has a choice between playing for a championship or getting a slice of the P5 pie. They chose the cash. 

They are more than welcome to stop taking the money and play for a G5 championship if they want, until then they get the deal they signed on for.

You also don't need 8. No need for a full round of extra games.

6 teams is all we need, 5 champions and 1 at large.

Committee ranks the conferences to determine the at large and the seeds.

Top 2 seeds get a bye.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I too have a proposed fix involving the best teams playing in a series of games in stadia shaped like bowls.

Rose   Ohio State vs Washington

Sugar  Alabama vs Notre Dame

Cotton Texas vs Georgia

Orange Oklahoma vs Clemson

Fiesta Michigan vs Washington State

You forgot the part about ND joining a conference. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, jaws said:

Notre Dame should never be allowed in any national championship playoff.  Even if they join a conference and win every game in a season by 35+ points.  They should never be allowed in.  Never.  Ever.   But, ya know.  I'm not biased or anything.  Heh heh....Ara Parchesi can bite it!  ( I present this opinion on behalf of my wonderful, late grandfather, RIP)

• Fire 1
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, jaws said:

Thing is the non-Rose bowls need independents to provide the opponent for their contracted conference.  Notre Dame as independent could go to almost any bowl and always chose the highest ranked opponent.  It is a mix of good and bad, and under the old bowl system we are playing Alabama directly for the national title.

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Thing is the non-Rose bowls need independents to provide the opponent for their contracted conference.  Notre Dame as independent could go to almost any bowl and always chose the highest ranked opponent.  It is a mix of good and bad, and under the old bowl system we are playing Alabama directly for the national title.

Good thing it isn't 1949 and we really don't need keep the historical match ups ;). Even under the old bowl system, are we to forget that Clemson is undefeated? Do you remember the last time Notre Dame played Alabama? I wouldn't bring up how we used to do it in the past since at one time they used to vote on the MNC before the bowl games. 

I don't hate Notre Dame or any other team, and I am half joking about what I said above. I do think we need to level the playing field at little bit for everyone in FBS. 

On 12/8/2018 at 4:58 PM, Notre Dame Joe said:

I too have a proposed fix involving the best teams playing in a series of games in stadia shaped like bowls.

Rose   Ohio State vs Washington

Sugar  Alabama vs Notre Dame

Cotton Texas vs Georgia

Orange Oklahoma vs Clemson

Fiesta Michigan vs Washington State

Shocker the ND guy wouldn't be on board with having to play a 13th game like every other FBS level team that has a playoff shot.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Shocker the ND guy wouldn't be on board with having to play a 13th game like every other FBS level team that has a playoff shot.

Ahead of the conference championship games for this season, only three P5 teams had played more P5 teams than ND.  Ohio State, Purdue, and Texas played 11 games to Notre Dame's 10.  Seven P5 teams only played 8 of their peers while 29 P5 teams played 9.

I don't think ND should ever play a non-P5 team weaker than Navy, though.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:13 AM, jaws said:

Good thing it isn't 1949 and we really don't need keep the historical match ups ;). Even under the old bowl system, are we to forget that Clemson is undefeated? Do you remember the last time Notre Dame played Alabama? I wouldn't bring up how we used to do it in the past since at one time they used to vote on the MNC before the bowl games. 

I don't hate Notre Dame or any other team, and I am half joking about what I said above. I do think we need to level the playing field at little bit for everyone in FBS. 

Looks like Clemson went to the Orange Bowl after 1981 ;).  Other than that the ACC didn't have a major bowl tie in that era and usually took the Citrus/Gator types.

The best compromise is to have a +1 National Title game on January 8th or the nearest Saturday.  This is better than the playoff because about six teams go into January 1st with a chance at the national title.  Also opponents like UW get additional motivation to play spoiler.

Here is how I'd fix the playoffs.

Id put every team in 8 conferences. If it's the power 5 and selected 3 others to stay or create 8 new ones wouldn't matter as long as all teams are in 8 conferences. By the numbers now that would put 16 with 2 conferences having 17 teams. Each team would play 7 division teams and 2 cross division teams and 3 OOC games. Which would match the 12 games most teams are playing now. First round would then be the conference championships

So the tournament would be a 16 team field. It'd give every team a fair shot, with each conference getting in 2 teams to the tournament. It'd make the regular season conference play matter even more. Cause now you have to make the conference championship to get in. Unlike Alabama in 2017, didn't win their division and still got in. It would how ever have 4 teams play one game more than they would in the currently system with 15 and 16 games for the final two teams. If that is still an issue we can go from 3 to 2 OOC games as they wouldn't matter to get back to no more than 15 games. Those that didn't make it past round 1 can then still play in bowl games like we have now.

But this system would make it fair for everyone and get rid of the bias of some teams and conferences

On 12/6/2018 at 2:23 PM, Mavric said:

So my theory is you don't absolutely have to be one of the top 8 teams to get in, but you have to be pretty close to that.  In 2012 Wisconsin wasn't even ranked but won the B1G.  I don't think that's playoff-worthy.

I still can't really decide how I feel about this. I used to be hardcore against CCG AQ's because of the 2012 Wiscy situation, but, I also don't think we've really seen a situation like that since. Part of me wonders if it's an anomaly I'd be OK with and if my main dislike for it is just because it's Wisconsin. :lol:

I think you saw this in the other playoff thread, but likely contenders this year would've been:

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Oklahoma

4. Ohio State

5. Washington

6. Notre Dame

7. Georgia

8. UCF

Now, I think this meets almost every single requirement you put forth, but this also would've been the particular result this year even if we didn't limit it to Top 12 finishes. The team to likely complain the loudest would be Michigan but Georgia did finish ranked higher in the final CFP rankings.