B1G to Target Texas, Oklahoma when Big XII GOR Expires

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's not.  The Big 12 would almost assuredly lose Power 5 status which would affect the GOR anyways.

No, it wouldn't. As long as there is a Big XII (which there still would be, unless over half the teams leave) the GOR is enforceable, bottom line. And if you don't think the left-behind schools wouldn't enforce it (save for someone backing a Brinks truck up to their collective ADs), then I have a bridge to sell you.

And as I already pointed out before, it's not in Texass' best interests to break the GOR in a court of law since the potential homes for Texass all use GORs. 

My understanding is the GOR isn't as concrete if the conference is compromised.  Losing Power 5 status would be compromising.  I could be wrong about that.

It doesn't matter though.  An 8 team league stands zero shot of remaining in the Power 5x they would have to add 2 teams to replace.  And who the hell would join that dumpster fire besides scrub programs?

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

My understanding is the GOR isn't as concrete if the conference is compromised.  Losing Power 5 status would be compromising.  I could be wrong about that.

It doesn't matter though.  An 8 team league stands zero shot of remaining in the Power 5x they would have to add 2 teams to replace.  And who the hell would join that dumpster fire besides scrub programs?

It doesn't matter if they lose P5 status and they're a dumpster fire of a conference. As long as the Big XII is still a conference, then Texass and Oklahoma are beholden to the GOR--the GOR gives ALL media rights to the conference (save for those reserved by the University) as long as it is in effect. As long as there's a conference and a signed GOR, it's in effect. 

So all of Oklahoma and Texass' first tier and second tier rights are tied up in the Big XII GOR. Their third tier rights are still with the individual schools, which is why Texass got a lackey at ESPN to set up Bevo TV, and Oklahoma may be looking to the BTN as a home for their third tier rights. 

---

Also, just an update--the Big XII GOR doesn't expire until June 2025--I thought it was 2022/2023, so my apologies. So it may be not until 2022/2023 before we see serious rumblings about this again. 

I'm not disagreeing that the GOR makes it hard, it does.  But it's not that black and white.  If OU and Texas just up and left, the chances of the Big 12 staying at 8 are slim to none.  There are 2 scenarios at this point.

A) Remaining 8 try to add 2-4 teams, likely from the Mountain West.  This could work well with keeping their Power 5 status IF they can keep the core 8 together and attempt reversing the league with the likes of Boise, Fresno, BYU maybe.  But really what would happen...

B) The remaining 8 panic and begin accepting stupid invites like Kansas to the ACC, Okie State to the SEC, Texas Tech to the Pac 12, Kansas State without Snyder just closes up shop and calls it a good run (I wish).  The conference folds.  The remaining 8 would never have the wherewithal to not stab each other in the back to do what's best for the group.

TV ad rates FOX Sports have been able to pass on to its customers indicate the network is “all in” on Big Ten Live Sport Content now and in the future, BTM told Flugaur. Given that, both FOX Sports and the Big Ten Conference want more and are working in tandem to get it. The two believe there is ample opportunity to gain more content for the next media contract in order for both to succeed together. That’s where realignment begins and comes into play once again, with those two working in tandem in their attempt to gain more value for the league, the source said.

They’ll try to gain more said value by adding both Big 12 powers OU and Texas. They’ll target the two schools for addition in 2024-25.

This source lays out three different forms called “choke points” that help successfully deliver live content. These three are financing, content and distribution. Distribution is the one to focus on, as the Big 12 Conference will, in his words, have an issue there involving Tier 1 & 2 rights. The money gap is expected to widen between the Big 12 and the SEC and Big Ten.

So, the Big Ten, along with FOX Sports, plans to let OU know what their intentions are through third parties. They will coordinate this at the same time OU is negotiating its new third tier contract, with the Big Ten emphasizing what’s at stake there and to make it a short-term deal, BTM said.

A short-term deal, obviously, means something could be in motion. Keep in mind the Big 12 Grant of Rights is up on June 30, 2025, so, as Flugaur notes, if OU signs something new that expires by or before then, the wheels just may be turning. The main thing to keep in mind here is OU is the school to watch.

9 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

As much as I hate UT, it would be nice to have a game close games again. I made it to a lot more games when we came down to Texas frequently.  The pod would be the best system as Mavric said.  Works well for the NFL scheduling, although they add in 2 matchups a year based on  rank in the pod and dont have to pick just 2 teams at the end. Maybe by the time the conferences get to 16 it might be time to increase the Conference games to 10.

I mean maybe you live in Texas so it's easier for you personally, but 9 of the 13 other teams in the BIg Ten are closer to Lincoln than Austin Texas is.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

If it goes to 16 teams, it should be a Pod system

East Pod: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

North Pod: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern

West Pod: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois

South Pod: Texas, Oklahoma, Purdue, Indiana 

You want to keep the rivalries within a pod since they play every year. Also try and keep them geographically close. 

Pod1: Nebraska, Texas, OU, Iowa

Pod2: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois

Pod3: Michigan, MSU, OSU, Indiana

Pod4: PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue

Purdue and Indiana can play in a non-conference game every other year as the only protected game.

Pod 1and 3 would only ever play two teams from the other pod to keep the schedule balanced better.

• Fire 1