B1G to Target Texas, Oklahoma when Big XII GOR Expires

Mavric

On 12/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, Mavric said:

If it goes to 16 teams, it should be a Pod system

• Four 4-team Pods
  • Play your Pod every year (those three teams home-and-home every two years)
  • Play one other Pod every year (every other team every three years, home-and-home every six years)
  • "Protected" games each year to preserve rivalries while balancing pods
  • The team with the best record within each year's paired Pods goes to the CCG

At first I wanted to play half of a third Pod each year instead of the protected games (so you would play every team at least every-other year) but I think it would be too hard to keep all the rivalries so there would be too much push-back.  I'd have to dig a little deeper to see if you could get that to work within the Pods.

East Pod: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

North Pod: Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern

West Pod: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois

South Pod: Texas, Oklahoma, Purdue, Indiana

Protected - Scheduled in years where the Pods weren't already playing each other (red=always, black=if possible, trophy game not preserved)

Illinois - Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State

Indiana - Michigan State

Iowa - Minnesota

Maryland - 

Michigan - Ohio State

Michigan State - Indiana, Penn State, Rutgers

Minnesota - Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska

Nebraska -  Oklahoma, Minnesota

Northwestern - Illinois

Ohio State - Michigan, Illinois

Oklahoma - Nebraska

Penn State - Michigan State, Minnesota

Purdue - Illinois

Rutgers - Michigan State

Texas - 

Wisconsin - Minnesota

Trophy Games not guaranteed - Illinois/Ohio State, Minnesota/Penn State, Nebraska/Minnesota, Michigan State/Rutgers

Wow you must be bored lol, that's much think 

Rumors from friends I have in the broadcast business have backed up the Oklahoma rumor. They want out, the Texas side is new though. Texas is locked at the hip with Texas tech and Baylor thanks to the large number of alumni from both present in the Texas legislature. The BIG ten doesn't want those teams or Oklahoma state. 

So I don't see how Texas ends up in the conference.

10 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Rumors from friends I have in the broadcast business have backed up the Oklahoma rumor. They want out, the Texas side is new though. Texas is locked at the hip with Texas tech and Baylor thanks to the large number of alumni from both present in the Texas legislature. The BIG ten doesn't want those teams or Oklahoma state. 

So I don't see how Texas ends up in the conference.

Hopefully Oklahoma pushes against having Texas come with them. Kansas and Oklahoma would be the best realistic scenario, imo.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think I want Texas A&M even less than Texas. They don't bring the $ and attention that Texas does, so it would be even harder to convince me that it's a good idea.

If I got to pick which teams join the B1G, in order of priority:

-Maryland
-Rutgers
+Oklahoma
+Notre Dame
+Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, Missouri
+Oklahoma State
Pittsburgh

Texas
Texas A&M

Notre Dame is the crown jewel.  The B1G should try to land Notre Dame and OU.  Then, they could tell Texass to pound sand. 

Take Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. The Big 10 certainly doesn't need Texas and no need to take Kansas. So they're good at Basketball? Meh, the Big 10 has lots of good teams and is a well respected conference in regards to basketball. Adding Kansas isn't going to change that. In fact, makes it harder for other schools (Nebraska), imo. 

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State is the way to go. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Hopefully Oklahoma pushes against having Texas come with them. Kansas and Oklahoma would be the best realistic scenario, imo.

This is possible, the rumor I heard a few years ago and still hear involves KU, but mostly just for their basketball program, but it miles flips the football program around by the time the BIG makes it's move then it wouldn't seem as absurd to take KU over UT as it would right now.

I am not sure what the logic is for the Big Ten to try to attract a 'national power' team like OU as the two schools who really have the inside power of course are Ohio State and Michigan and they sure as heck don't want to invite in an opponent likely to take over as the new 'best' program in the league.   Michigan and Ohio just want to rule the roost as has historically been the case with the rest of the conference being the 'other guys' who take their annual losses proudly and cheer loudly as the winners go by.  '

The real problem that the Big Ten has is its rough parity and the regular season games become a gauntlet of challenging opponents.   Unlike the SEC which tends to schedule very weak non-con games and even mixes them into the overall season so as to create 'breaks' to alllow for extra prep time and rest and so on, the Big Ten season really is very tough for any team to go through unbeaten.  Adding OU to the schedule won't make it easier for Ohio State or Michigan or any other Big Ten school to go undefeated and get into the playoffs.  Why would they want to add OU to the plate every year?

It would be fun to have OU games again BUT it is bad enough to have to play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern, etc. without adding yet another bowl game caliber game.   

For that matter, why would OU want to join the Big Ten when winning the Big 12 appears considerably easier as thing stand now?   

I would suggest that the Big Ten accepted NU because we were 'down' and yet brought a high degree of respectability and national interest and presitige but did not present a big threat to dethrowning the Lions, Buckeyes, Wolverines and or Badgers.

It would not surprise me at all if the Big Ten were to attempt to reschedule and rearrange the Big Ten games right now just as Nebraska is finally getting off the unfair scheduling they have put us through as a part of the price of admission.   This is all the more urgent now that there is some indications that Frost may turn NU fortunes upward and make the Huskers into a real threat to actually win the Big Ten.   Ohio State and Michigan do not want NU taking their 'rightful' place in the playoffs.

17 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I don't like the pods idea. However, if we were going to do it, I'd be ok if the Big 10 kicked out Rutgers, and somehow added Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri.

I hate Texas and don't trust them, but I'd be ok with it if the other two came also. And I have no interest in the Big 10 adding Kansas. They already have Rutgers, what do they need another one for?

Is Mizzou dissatisfied in the SEC?

Kansas may not bring much football wise but they do have a basketball team. Maybe you've heard of it?

Texas made their bed. Let them flop around in it alone with no past rivals to play.  The Longhorn Network is already a financial money pit.  Imagine what it will be if OU leaves and while they are at it bring KU in too. Steal their best basketball team. Let the Big 12 or 8 whatever it ends up being flounder like a beached carp on the shore.

If you ask me theres no real reason to expand to 16.  Most of the other teams get shut out of the limelight during the season.  Hell the only reason nebraska got any press this year was because of frost.  Other than that we were another bottom dweller.  2 more teams would water it down even more.  Most of the iowa fans around here said the same thing about us when we joined.  Maryland and Rutgers watered it down even further.