B1G to Target Texas, Oklahoma when Big XII GOR Expires

Mavric

Random thoughts:

• Maryland has a long history in football, and they've been very good at times.  Historically they have one national championship, 11 conference titles, they recruit a talent-rich area, and they bring the Big Ten Network the Baltimore market.  Let em stay.
  • Rutgers has a long history in football, but historically they've been bad to mediocre.  But they recruit a talent-rich area and they bring the Big Ten Network the NY/NJ market, and that means major dollar signs.  They aren't going anywhere.
  • If the Big Ten is doing "protected rivalries," Minnesota-Michigan is the one I want to protect.  Screw Iowa and Wisconsin!  And Penn State is nothing.
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Big Ten, don't add Texas.  No matter what, keep those cross-eyed jerkoffs out out of our nice conference.

Teams to add:  I don't want Texas and I don't care about Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.  Kansas would be a good addition, and you could add Oklahoma or Kansas State with them, but Georgia Tech would be a better fit academically, plus they bring a prosperous alumni base and the enormous Atlanta TV market with them.

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It’s not premature. They’ve never been a good football program that I’m aware of. It’s not relevant to me if they have a few good years or even great years in the future. I’d prefer it if the B1G only added top tier programs. Nebraska and Penn State fit that bill when they were added, as would Oklahoma. I don’t want mediocre or even merely decent programs to be added. 

I’ve never looked at the football schedule and thought “Maryland is playing X, I’m gonna have to watch that game.” Unless X = Nebraska.

If the bolded happened, I doubt we'd be in the B1G.  It's been quite a while since most people would consider us in the top tier.  Our last year in the Big 12, Nebraska and Maryland had an almost identical records and both finished just inside the top 25.  Maryland's most recent conference championship is more recent than ours.   

3 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

Teams to add:  I don't want Texas and I don't care about Oklahoma or Oklahoma State.  Kansas would be a good addition, and you could add Oklahoma or Kansas State with them, but Georgia Tech would be a better fit academically, plus they bring a prosperous alumni base and the enormous Atlanta TV market with them.

139306.jpg

1 hour ago, nic said:

GT is an option. They are AAU. Wasn't the Big 10 flirting with Virginia and NC? Didn't  that cause the ACC to create a GOR?

You are correct Nic. The B1G was eyeing Georgia Tech in expansion (along with NC, Virginia, and one other school--I want to say FSU, but I don't believe that's correct). This, coupled with the talk of the SEC and/or Big XII poaching ACC teams led to them instituting a GOR, and not all schools voted for it (it passed by majority vote of all present schools). Then the ACC expanded back to 12 schools. I think I may have muddled the timeline somewhat, but that's the gist of what happened. 

But Georgia Tech would be a good fit, culturally, academically, and athletically, but they're not contiguous to the B1G footprint. And while Delaney has softened/backpedaled on the importance of a contiguous footprint, it supposedly is a strong requirement, save for some AAA school jumping up and approaching the B1G (e.g. Florida State, Oklahoma). This is yet another reason why Kansas is likely the Big XII moving buddy with Oklahoma, and not Texass--adding Kansas and Oklahoma preserves the contiguous footprint. 

13 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

If the bolded happened, I doubt we'd be in the B1G.  It's been quite a while since most people would consider us in the top tier.  Our last year in the Big 12, Nebraska and Maryland had an almost identical records and both finished just inside the top 25.  Maryland's most recent conference championship is more recent than ours.   

And technically Kansas Football has been more successful more recently than us, too. But thankfully, that round of expansion was about getting a name program with a fervent following to bring a national audience (and eyeballs) to the BTN. Nebraska fit the bill, as many of its games (even during poor years) brought more viewership than other schools in the running then (e.g. Mizzery).

The Texass/Nebraska Big XII screwfest of '09 was one of the Top games that year and was the second-most popular (at the time) Big XII title game because of us (Texass was in others that didn't fare as well). Many of our games during sub-par years got better ratings than Notre Dame. We have alumni all over the country that would force the issue to get BTN carried.

Now, it's about adding content. Kansas for basketball and Oklahoma for football would do just that, and both of them bring in a national audience (like Nebraska) that, in the age of streaming media, will be key for survival. 

• Plus1 1

On 12/11/2018 at 10:54 AM, junior4949 said:

I think we're being a little premature with the Maryland bashing.  Last year, they had a pretty decent recruiting class.  The coach they just hired is thought to be a great recruiter.  They more than likely get just enough talent into their program to keep most B1G teams honest.  I realize the guy they just hired didn't exactly light the World on fire the last time he was a head coach, but he has spent the last few years under Saban.  In a sense, he's put Bama's offense on the map.

That offense is Dan Enos's offense.  Bama's offense already migrated from an ancient pro-set to a modern multi-faceted offense under Lane Kiffin prior.  Locksley was a trash fire in Albuquerque as coach.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:57 AM, everybody knows my name said:

Random thoughts:

• Maryland has a long history in football, and they've been very good at times.  Historically they have one national championship, 11 conference titles, they recruit a talent-rich area, and they bring the Big Ten Network the Baltimore market.  Let em stay.
  • Rutgers has a long history in football, but historically they've been bad to mediocre.  But they recruit a talent-rich area and they bring the Big Ten Network the NY/NJ market, and that means major dollar signs.  They aren't going anywhere.
  • If the Big Ten is doing "protected rivalries," Minnesota-Michigan is the one I want to protect.  Screw Iowa and Wisconsin!  And Penn State is nothing.
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Big Ten, don't add Texas.  No matter what, keep those cross-eyed jerkoffs out out of our nice conference.

They bring part of the Atlanta market but UGA is far more popular in the A.

I don't think the Big 12 is going to let their Grant of Rights expire.  I fully expect to see them extend them sometime in the next couple of offseasons.  If they don't, then you know for almost absolute certainty that the league is breaking up and schools not named Texas, Oklahoma, and probably Kansas would do anything in their power to prevent that from happening.

10 hours ago, passranch said:

I don't think the Big 12 is going to let their Grant of Rights expire.  I fully expect to see them extend them sometime in the next couple of offseasons.  If they don't, then you know for almost absolute certainty that the league is breaking up and schools not named Texas, Oklahoma, and probably Kansas would do anything in their power to prevent that from happening.

They had the opportunity to extend it a couple years ago and oklahoma didnt want to

I just want Kansas and Oklahoma.  I don't care how it happens, it's just the best thing that could happen for us and the rest of the Big Ten honestly.  As far as Texas goes, I don't really care where the end up I just don't want to share anything with them ever again unless it's a game that we absolutely smoke their conceited asses in.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1