B1G to Target Texas, Oklahoma when Big XII GOR Expires

Mavric

20 hours ago, Ocean said:

A disclaimer: I live in Texas and would love for the B1G to expand in this general direction

I see the Texas and OU conversation pop up relatively frequently anytime the off season realignment speculation kicks in. I wonder, though, why hasn't the expansion talk ever directed itself towards Texas A&M? I've been to college station plenty of times (Purify in the endzone. I was 20 yards away from that catch) and I think from a conference standpoint they are a much better fit in the B1G.  They have a robust following, great traveling fans, top notch academics,  and are generally less lousy in how they treat their conference mates. Are they, now, too attached to the SEC to even consider it? Or should the B1G try to nab both UT and TAMU in future realignment talks? Or hopefully just TAMU...

I believe the big 10 did consider TAMU before they went to the SEC. I doubt they would leave the SEC now.

Keep in mind the Big10 had a criteria to only accept schools that were part of the AAU the last time they expanded. NU was part of the AAU at the time. KU and Texas are members of the AAU. OU is not.  Notre Dame is also not a member. I believe the Big 10 would make an exception for OU and Notre Dame, but I don't think they would take Oklahoma State. I agree that ND makes sense. If we put them in the East Pod it may satisfy their desire to play games on the east coast.

Pod1: NU,OU,Iowa,Purdue

Pod2: Wisconsin, NW, Minn., Illinois

Pod3: OSU, MSU, UofM, Indiana 

Pod4: PSU, ND, Maryland, Rutgers

Better yet, replace Ruters with Virginia.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, nic said:

Keep in mind the Big10 had a criteria to only accept schools that were part of the AAU the last time they expanded. NU was part of the AAU at the time. KU and Texas are members of the AAU. OU is not.  Notre Dame is also not a member. I believe the Big 10 would make an exception for OU and Notre Dame, but I don't think they would take Oklahoma State.

Correct--plus, it doesn't hurt that Oklahoma has publicly campaigned to improve academics on campus and is aspiring to obtain AAU membership at some point. The Oklahoma leadership sees the significant improvement in academics Nebraska has experienced since joining the B1G and wants to join that.

Oklahoma State isn't going to be a part of this, save for possibly using T. Boones Farms Pickens political bribes "clout" to make OU severing their ties to OSU problematic. It won't be the political s***storm that Texass leaving the Big XII would be though (with Baylor, TCU, and Tech alum in Austin, plus schools like Houston and SMU angling for Big XII membership--another reason why Texass to the B1G isn't realistic), and Oklahoma is decidedly more successful and a hotter commodity that can deliver the DFW market (Houston is kinda locked up by Texas A&M). 

On 12/8/2018 at 9:55 AM, nic said:

I believe the big 10 did consider TAMU before they went to the SEC. I doubt they would leave the SEC now.

Correct--at one time, the following five schools were going to join the B1G as a package deal:

• Nebraska
  • Missouri (IIRC--could have been Iowa State?)
  • Kansas
  • Oklahoma
  • Texas A&M

The reason why it didn't happen is because Texas A&M got greedy and didn't like the fiscal terms of entering the B1G (something the other four schools were good with), and A&M scuttled the deal. Source: Tramell's article in the OWH from a couple of years ago that detailed one of the current Big XII ADs relaying this is how it went down (read: either Kansas' or Oklahoma's AD). 

This information does two things: it's another reason showing why it's more likely that Kansas and Oklahoma will be moving buddies to the B1G (as the B1G and Jim Delaney have already vetted Oklahoma and Kansas, and found them acceptable as candidates for B1G membership), and it shows that AAU membership isn't a strong prerequisite (see Nebraska, Oklahoma).

One thing to note--the SEC doesn't have a GOR, so schools can leave of their own volition. Missouri could be a potential and realistic target in lieu of Kansas, and it would be a political jab in the ribs at the SEC. I don't think A&M would jump though--they're in their element in the SEC (take that as you will).

On 12/7/2018 at 12:49 AM, Hans Gruber said:

I don't like the pods idea. However, if we were going to do it, I'd be ok if the Big 10 kicked out Rutgers, and somehow added Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri.

I hate Texas and don't trust them, but I'd be ok with it if the other two came also. And I have no interest in the Big 10 adding Kansas. They already have Rutgers, what do they need another one for?

Kansas is probably one of the biggest Basketball programs and draws in the country, especially when it comes to eyeballs on TV. Delaney is a basketball guy and has made moves to make the B1G one of the strongest conferences in the country regarding Men's Basketball. The case for Kansas is pretty damn solid. 

Also, need we remind you, Kansas has been to a BCS/Big 6 bowl more recently than Nebraska has. So there's that. :-|

And Rutgers isn't going anywhere--they deliver the NYC and NJ markets, which give the conference a huge amount of eyeballs and help get us those large conference payouts we love bragging about to the SEC. Same with Maryland. 

On 12/7/2018 at 1:08 AM, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I'd prefer Kansas and Texas.  I really don't care about the old Oklahoma rivalry anymore.  They chose to tether to Texas and Oklahoma adds nothing for recruiting territory in a league that needs new recruiting areas.  I'd like a close Lawrence, KS campus to drive to and see KU basketball in a better league too.  Maybe the Big Ten sees that UT and OU are joined at the hip and wants the OKC market too?  Texas joining the SEC is as about as remote as BYU becoming part of the Pac-12.  Next to zero and it's not just the Longhorn Network.  SEC is not strong academically and that's important to UT-Austin.  I think they would only consider the Pac-12 and Big Ten for that reason.  Same reason Texas Tech or Oklahoma State has about next to no chance of joining the Pac-12 either, as a stand alone university not good enough academic schools.  If this happens, to me this is extra pressure on Scott Frost to get Nebraska back as an elite program before then.  Having Wisconsin and Iowa to beat to get to a title game is one thing, Oklahoma and Texas most years with their resources should be even more difficult.  However, until I see someone like Frank The Tank start talking about this latest round of realignment, I'm still looking at it as someone throwing stuff against the wall for attention.

I'm fine with no Oklahoma.  You're right.  They tied their boat to Texas.  I just don't want Texas either.  My attitude is....fine....if OU wants to come driveling back......whatever.  I just have no desire to put up with Texas's crap being in the same conference again.

17 hours ago, Moiraine said:

@VectorVictor  I don’t think anyone actually thinks the B1G would get rid of Rutgers or Maryland, it’s just that as a fan of football and not basketball, they don’t belong. They aren’t good at football and I don’t like them geographically. 

Wait...how do you not like a school "geographically"?

That's like saying I hate Boise State because I don't like where Idaho is on the map... ;)

48 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Wait...how do you not like a school "geographically"?

That's like saying I hate Boise State because I don't like where Idaho is on the map... ;)

Ideally I like conferences to make sense geographically. E.g. I think it’s stupid West Virginia is in the Big 12.

A little surprised I need to explain this, especially since fans travel to games. I think the B1G is too spread out and Penn State should have remained the most eastern school. However I’m biased so I’d be fine with Kansas and Oklahoma. At least they’re close to us. 

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Moiraine said:

@VectorVictor  I don’t think anyone actually thinks the B1G would get rid of Rutgers or Maryland, it’s just that as a fan of football and not basketball, they don’t belong. They aren’t good at football and I don’t like them geographically. 

I think we're being a little premature with the Maryland bashing.  Last year, they had a pretty decent recruiting class.  The coach they just hired is thought to be a great recruiter.  They more than likely get just enough talent into their program to keep most B1G teams honest.  I realize the guy they just hired didn't exactly light the World on fire the last time he was a head coach, but he has spent the last few years under Saban.  In a sense, he's put Bama's offense on the map.

I have no idea if conferences are going to try to get to 16, but if they all do here is what I would like to see. The Big 12 would definitely be the worst conference overall in this scenario and I only added Oklahoma State to us because then it helps us get Oklahoma in my opinion.

Big 10: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame and Kansas. Bold teams would be in the West division and you could pod from there.

SEC: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Missouri, Texas A&M, UCF and South Florida. The last two were added because they would need to be two teams that joined a power 5 conference possibly and they are located in a good area to join the SEC. Bold teams would be West division.

ACC: Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Miami, NC State, North Carolina, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Rutgers. Maryland and Rutgers would work for the ACC and might fit ok. Bold teams would be one division.

Pac 12: Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington, Washington State, Colorado, Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State and Nevada. The last 4 would have to be added and I think they would be the best fit for where they are. Bold teams would be North division.

Big 12: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, Texas, West Virginia, Houston, Colorado State, Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, Memphis, App. State, SMU, BYU and Temple. This was the toughest conference to figure out and add teams to. I could see a North and South division here with the teams in bold being the North.

This is obviously just my opinion and I was messing around with the teams quite a bit. The teams that I added could obviously be switched out for other teams.

7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I think we're being a little premature with the Maryland bashing.  Last year, they had a pretty decent recruiting class.  The coach they just hired is thought to be a great recruiter.  They more than likely get just enough talent into their program to keep most B1G teams honest.  I realize the guy they just hired didn't exactly light the World on fire the last time he was a head coach, but he has spent the last few years under Saban.  In a sense, he's put Bama's offense on the map.

It’s not premature. They’ve never been a good football program that I’m aware of. It’s not relevant to me if they have a few good years or even great years in the future. I’d prefer it if the B1G only added top tier programs. Nebraska and Penn State fit that bill when they were added, as would Oklahoma. I don’t want mediocre or even merely decent programs to be added. 

I’ve never looked at the football schedule and thought “Maryland is playing X, I’m gonna have to watch that game.” Unless X = Nebraska.

36 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Agreed. Plus Maryland, like Rutgers, brings a lot of eyeballs from the Baltimore, Arlington, and Washington markets. 

Well, and other body parts too, but mostly eyeballs. 

32 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’ve never looked at the football schedule and thought “Maryland is playing X, I’m gonna have to watch that game.” Unless X = Nebraska.

Did that a few times this year, actually, including the early season Texass @ Maryland tilt. Plus, it wasn't *THAT* long ago that Ralph Friedgen was there...and Maryland was a good program under him. Had a few down years (four out of ten), but mostly up, including multiple Top 15 rankings and some pretty big wins. 

Also, it helps that Maryland just hired Butch Jones as an associate head coach. Maryland should be able to build on their success from this year.