2019 Spring Game - April 13 @ 1:00 CDT on BTN

27 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Unfortunately, I was not able to watch the game and only heard parts of the radio broadcast.   I am really curious as to what the impressions and opinions of the Huskerboard members are after getting to watch yesterday?

It seemed to me the defense played fairly well on a majority of snaps.   Were there are new formations or other hints of 'new' schemes or plays ?   Presumably Frost was not going to reveal much ahead of the fall.   I don't believe I recall any mention of any traditonal option type plays but the radio broadcast often missed plays altogether and was so busy with sideline interviews with former players, etc that they seemed to forget to cover the actual on field stuff.  

Just hoping some good discussion of the actual game and individual play and so on might shed some light on things.   Information has been so limited all winter/spring or atleast I haven't been able to keep up with what has been forthcoming.  Gonna be a long summer if the information 'blackout' continues.

'

I am also hoping we start hearing some real news on the recruiting and maybe start seeing a few commitments, etc.   It is about 140 days until kick off and 240 until signing day.   This is Frost's BIG year to really make the jump.  

I watched about a quarter and a half.  Red was 1st team offense and defense.  White had 21 scholarship players (younger kids mostly).

Just some random thoughts:

- White looked like they came out hungrier and more aggressive.  Red O had some nice plays but didn't look very sharp.  A couple misreads by Adrian on zone reads.

- We going to have to embrace it - Good D in this scheme is defined as fly to the ball, give up some yards, and create turnovers.  White was gashing Red on a few runs early.  I didn't expect to see it.  

- One of the Daniels brothers on red was getting moved off the line a bit...by white Oline

- Luke McCaffrey is going to be good.  Great feel for the game and ad hocs well

- RB's looked spotty.  Not tons of talent on display Saturday but serviceable

- We really will count on a few playmakers that didn't play yesterday.  We just don't have the talent depth yet.

- I really liked the pressers after the game, especially from the kids.  They were loose and didn't act uptight with the game not being their best performance.  Really good maturity and perspective.

It looked better than year 1.  The D was better, and the Line play was better.  Kids look a little leaner and faster.   My take away was we have a favorable schedule, but to win the West consistently (not counting on a good schedule), and really challenge for BIG10, we still may be a class or 2 away.

I'm encouraged...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

The big takeaway is this team has every chance to be very, very good.

A laundry list of guys were held out, another list played but only a bit, and about a third set aren’t even here yet, so it’s tough to say specifically how this thing looks. But all of that talk of culture change, attitude, and work ethic played out on the field. And it wasn’t 1 or 2 guys, it was largely the norm.

• Plus1 1

Watched the spring game casually.  Three takeaways: 

1). Cam Taylor looks like he will be one of our better defenders.  Excited about his potential.

2). Luke McCaffrey is a serious running threat.  Has that TMart extra gear once he gets passed first level.  Needs to work on his passing game.

3). Pickering made his kicks and was solid.

GBR!

6 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

White was gashing Red on a few runs early.  I didn't expect to see it.  

A couple misalignments. On Bradley’s first big run the offense motioned into trips right with the back on that side presenting a quads look. With 2 high Safeties the defense didn’t account for the weak side run. 

They got that look several more times and corrected that mistake. 

39 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

#hiphophogwash

the music was terrible too, an uninspired dated mishmash of jams you would hear on a 90's thru 2000's station.  We recently attended an IFL game and the music was all new NEW rap and hip hop which was pretty cool and the players dug it. They kept it pumping.  And Memorial needs another set of huge speakers on the South.  Be the best or quit trying.

• Plus1 1