2019 Spring Game - April 13 @ 1:00 CDT on BTN

11 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Watched the spring game casually.  Three takeaways: 

1). Cam Taylor looks like he will be one of our better defenders.  Excited about his potential.

2). Luke McCaffrey is a serious running threat.  Has that TMart extra gear once he gets passed first level.  Needs to work on his passing game.

3). Pickering made his kicks and was solid.

GBR!

1) Cam desperately needs experience. Even a summer of 7 on 7 drills, learning to cover different routes out of different coverages, will help. He’ll get tested, too. We showed good speed at receiver that didn’t always manifest into plays because the QBs were often running for their lives. But Cam will be a staple on this defense. He has a real star quality about him.

2) Things set up great for Luke. Enough depth at QB that he doesn’t necessarily need pressed for service should the unthinkable happen. Should get some late game snaps, though, and be able to redshirt. He’s as good as advertised. 

3) It is always important to note in these things that there was no rush. That not only makes things more relaxed, but allows a kicker to drive the ball as well. Still, seems to be pretty accurate from about 45 and in, and he has a great ability to forget the bad ones. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 10:16 PM, Nebfanatic said:

Blocking could have been better but the tackling was encouraging.

The encouraging part for me is they’re maintaining their leverage much better. They strung out a lot of runs and screens. Lots of gang tackling, and several turnovers were the result of multiple defenders being in the area. 

All of this happens because the general knowledge of the defense is vastly improved. 

The blocking on the perimeter wasn’t too bad, but the defenders were very aggressive at blowing up screen plays. In a real game we have ways of countering such aggression, like that one slip screen we completed. A few missed blocking assignments also didn’t help.

• Thanks 2
18 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Were there are new formations or other hints of 'new' schemes or plays 

Offensively, no. Defensively, kind of.

Three things:

1) More looping and stunting on the defensive line. My guess is this is Tuioti’s influence. Cal did this a fair amount. 

2) Played a lot more with an OLB on the line, either in a 2 or 3 point stance, 2 ILB, and then whomever on the other side (Dixon/Cam/Jojo). This pass rushing LB was in a wide technique and Ferguson/A. Davis rotated series here. Both showed some aptitude, though Davis was far more productive. 

3) Occassionally, on 3rd and long, both A. Davis and Ferguson line up as outside rushers in an even front with two tackles on the inside (Khalil/Stille). 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

My biggest takeaway is that McCaffrey is going to be very good.  Maybe even good enough that he will push AM for the starting role in a year or two.  The competition yearly for that top spot will only make everyone better.  Good stuff.  Need to get that kid set up with one of the 10/10 cheerleaders so he doesn't transfer before we need him!

11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

My biggest takeaway is that McCaffrey is going to be very good.  Maybe even good enough that he will push AM for the starting role in a year or two.  The competition yearly for that top spot will only make everyone better.  Good stuff.  Need to get that kid set up with one of the 10/10 cheerleaders so he doesn't transfer before we need him!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He looked really fast and I'm excited about his potential, but he's still pretty raw.

I though Bradley looked pretty good, I was hoping to see a little more from Miles Jones. He had some nice plays (and was going against the 1s), but I expected a little more. Darrion Daniels and Khalil Davis looked great as well, and the biggest thing is no one got hurt!

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's too early to tell anything, but I'm not about to let that stop me:

There's a pretty big drop off from Martinez to Bunch. 

Agreed, huge gap. From everything from decision making, poise in the pocket, arm strength, accuracy, & speed.

I like Bunch's throwing motion and how he buys time to find an open guy, though. And from here to game one I think he'll get better and better and be a serviceable guy if he winds up being the backup.

McCaffrey is incredibly quick and light on his feet. Kid can scramble and has crazy quickness.

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That didn't end up being serious though, did it? That was scary for sure, good point - doesn't seem like it will keep him out or anything though.

I've asked in this thread and nobody has said anything.  I haven't seen a report from anyone on it.

Where are you seeing it's not serious?

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's too early to tell anything, but I'm not about to let that stop me:

There's a pretty big drop off from Martinez to Bunch. 

Agreed. Our success will largely ride on Martinez's shoulders.

But I would guess that Bunch is 4th string in the fall and probably never sees another snap barring injury. Vedral will be a serviceable backup, and McCaffrey hopefully will not be needed, but should see a few snaps in four games or less to retain his redshirt. 

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

Agreed. Our success will largely ride on Martinez's shoulders.

But I would guess that Bunch is 4th string in the fall and probably never sees another snap barring injury. Vedral will be a serviceable backup, and McCaffrey hopefully will not be needed, but should see a few snaps in four games or less to retain his redshirt. 

I don't think Vedral is significantly better than Bunch. 

Perhaps we're making too much of McCaffrey, but that's the fun part. 

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think Vedral is significantly better than Bunch. 

Perhaps we're making too much of McCaffrey, but that's the fun part. 

I'm getting the feeling they want McCaffrey to redshirt.  So, for right now anyway, it's a two man race with Bunch and Vedral and Vedral is winning.