2019 Spring Game - April 13 @ 1:00 CDT on BTN

42 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't know what the exact "rule" is with the green jerseys, but the refs didn't call the quarterbacks down a few times when they could have. It seemed like they were giving them a little benefit of the doubt at times.

That's also why it's a bit tough to judge the official sack totals. I don't think some of them would've been sacks in a real game, but there were conversely a couple of plays where I thought the QB got away and he probably wouldn't have in a live game.

I think it hurts the QBs more often then it helps, especially since they’re mobile and could break fingertip tackles in a real game. It’s also easier for the defense to keep track of where they are. 

On the other hand it always cracks me up when a QB goes out to throw a block on a defender because it’s completely unfair.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

We probably won’t know where McCaffrey is on the depth chart this year. Although if we have some blowouts and he goes in after Martinez every time up to 4 games, that might be telling. I’m guessing it’ll mostly be Vedral though. 

Im hoping we see Vedral or McCaffery late in the Colorado game.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I don't know what the exact "rule" is with the green jerseys, but the refs didn't call the quarterbacks down a few times when they could have. It seemed like they were giving them a little benefit of the doubt at times.

On BTN, Ameer and the other guy said it was "two hand touch." So there were of course several times when whichever QB skirted the defender enough to only get touched with one hand.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, IlliniHusker said:

Don't want to be nit-piking, but I saw a lot of center snaps go very high.  The QB's were lucky to jump up and grab the snaps but in crucial games a center snap over the QB's head could be a game changer.  :(

Definitely not nit picking - it’s definitely a concern.  I heard or read somewhere it was happening in practice, too.  Hoping that is a point they make during summer drills to get that cleaned up before fall.

Center play is going to be interesting to gauge in general. I don't think Jurgens looked great, but he's learning the position and it seems (on the surface at least) the coaches are trying really hard to groom him for that spot. Here's to hoping he's 100% in the fall and makes big strides this summer.

4 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Definitely not nit picking - it’s definitely a concern.  I heard or read somewhere it was happening in practice, too.  Hoping that is a point they make during summer drills to get that cleaned up before fall.

Easy fix in the summer. It's a repitition thing to learn how to hit your thing in the same spot every time. I'm confident he'll have it down by the opener. 

57 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Easy fix in the summer. It's a repitition thing to learn how to hit your thing in the same spot every time. I'm confident he'll have it down by the opener. 

I'm not sure it's easy to completely fix because we seem to have struggled with it for a few years now.  And when you're in shotgun all the time there are more chances for things to go wrong.

But the guys who were doing most of the snapping on Saturday are new to the position.  So experience should definitely get better with more reps.

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

And when you're in shotgun all the time there are more chances for things to go wrong.

I think this gets undervalued at times. A player can drill it thousands of times, but a clean snap (especially when you exclusively run shotgun) is tough. Even some of the best spread offense centers in the last decade have had a few whiffs here and there.

I remember in last year's MSU game, one of the final snaps in the victory formation almost went over Martinez' head. Drove me nuts that we were snapping the ball like that in that situation, but it's also the team's identity and they're far more comfortable with that than they are snaps under center, so there's really no other option.

13 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

I counted six.  Gotta clean that up for sure.

Glad I am not the only one that was watching this.  Jurgens' snaps definitely looked shaky, especially late in the 2nd quarter.  Forbes looked better in my opinion .  Farniok looked really sharp with his snaps.