2019 Spring Game - April 13 @ 1:00 CDT on BTN

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

Center play is going to be interesting to gauge in general. I don't think Jurgens looked great, but he's learning the position and it seems (on the surface at least) the coaches are trying really hard to groom him for that spot. Here's to hoping he's 100% in the fall and makes big strides this summer.

Frost wants him to play center........he must be the best fit we have.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He has the potential to be the best fit we have, I'm not sure he's there yet. But I have no problem grooming him for the job, and seems like we're still giving plenty of reps to Forbes/Farniok as well.

The snap is very important to get right.  However, we have had centers before that got the snap right but were horrible at blocking or line calls.  I think Jergens is who Frost wants for the blocking and line calls.  I'm confident he will get the snaps under control.

I'll have to pay attention when I rewatch the game, but centers are now snapping the ball a lot different than the did a few years ago. Im not sure if we switched yet, but lot of teams now use a "dead snap" where the center palms the back of the ball and lofts it to the QB. It's slower, but supposed to be more accurate and easier for the QB to pick up. Maybe something we need to look into.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, Moiraine said:

We probably won’t know where McCaffrey is on the depth chart this year. Although if we have some blowouts and he goes in after Martinez every time up to 4 games, that might be telling. I’m guessing it’ll mostly be Vedral though. 

I'd like McCaffrey to get a year of Husker S&C and scout team work under his belt, to add some maturity, and durability, then turn him loose.

Ok, so McCaffrey is a QB. He's also probably one of the fastest guys on the team and has a qb's understanding of the game. He has 4 games to play this year, while still preserving his redshirt. In the spirit of getting the best players on the field, why would we leave him on the bench in a back up qb role for those 4 games? Why not get him ready at receiver for Ohio State, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Iowa? Instead of getting meaningless snaps, get him in the games that matter most to make an impact. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ok, so McCaffrey is a QB. He's also probably one of the fastest guys on the team and has a qb's understanding of the game. He has 4 games to play this year, while still preserving his redshirt. In the spirit of getting the best players on the field, why would we leave him on the bench in a back up qb role for those 4 games? Why not get him ready at receiver for Ohio State, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Iowa? Instead of getting meaningless snaps, get him in the games that matter most to make an impact. 

I agree but I doubt we see it. Thats alot to learn for the young man and they want to prpbably focus on perfecting his fundementals at QB. Giving energy to learn the reciever spot will take away from his grooming process at QB. I'd like it to be like NCAA 13 where you just slide your best athletes around to get them on the field, but I don't think our coaching staff will be taking that approach. Maybe they design some sort of package or trick play with McCaffery at WR but outside of that I just don't see Frost and Co. doing that.

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

We have very talented receivers that are already receivers. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Do you want him learning how to be a QB or an WR this year?  He's not going to do both.  Shouldn't he be getting all the coaching he can at the QB position over this season?  We then have very talented WRs who work on that position every single day.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So what, you think we need a Jamal Turner on the field this season?

I get both sides but sometimes we like to pretend that learning a few plays at a different position is like a haberdasher having to learn how to do open heart surgery.

The kid is already a freak athlete...putting in a play where he takes a read-option handoff from AM and either looks to run or make a pass to a streaking TE is not that big of a deal...having a play where the bubble screen is faked to him and he takes off on a deep route is not that big of a deal...having a play where he catches a bubble screen and looks to pass downfield is not that big of a deal.

• Plus1 3

Ha. Jamal Turner was never going to be a quarterback. What's more I'm not suggesting any kind of position switch. Just a few situational packages to get the kid on the field in a role to use his exceptional abilities to impact the games in which we might need another impact player to get us to the finish line. Think Suh as an RB/ Lead Blocker in goal line packages. 

Also it wouldn't be the first time a BIG team has used their back up qb as a wide receiver. Didn't Wisconsin or Michigan to that with a ton of success a few years back?