2019 Spring Game - April 13 @ 1:00 CDT on BTN

23 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Just a few situational packages to get the kid on the field in a role to use his exceptional abilities to impact the games in which we might need another impact player to get us to the finish line.

I think it's certainly possible they could utilize Luke's athleticism outside of him riding the bench all season. But, by all accounts, Luke is a quarterback. That's the full-go plan and Mario really likes him. There's a lot more to wide receiver than just athleticism/speed in this offense.

You also have to ask yourself if what he could bring to the table is more valuable than the four or five guys that'll see the majority of WR snaps this season. At this point, I don't think I've seen much evidence to suggest that other than he's quick, and that's not much.

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Think Suh as an RB/ Lead Blocker in goal line packages. 

Teams do that kind of thing, including Frost’s UCF team, do it because that move brings something needed. A 300 pound hammer is not something you tend to have lying around in your backfield, especially if your team doesn’t employ any fullbacks.

We already have a bunch of fast dudes at receiver/RB. You would literally be taking a fast dude off the field to replace him with another fast dude. Except that replacement that you’re exposing to those big hits is your QB of the future. 

• Plus1 1

...putting in a play where he takes a read-option handoff from AM and either looks to run or make a pass to a streaking TE is not that big of a deal...

Already exists as an RPO. No second QB needed. 

I’d also point out, I’m not sure how you’re passing off of a read-option handoff. You almost always have an unblocked defender.

having a play where the bubble screen is faked to him and he takes off on a deep route is not that big of a deal...

Already part of the offense. Works even better when it’s a blocker that slips since the defenders are looking to avoid that player.

having a play where he catches a bubble screen and looks to pass downfield is not that big of a deal.

We have tried this without much success with non-QBs. This one does work much better with a bonifide passer, though to sell the illusion he needs to be part of other plays. This play works best when your receivers/back/TE just happen to be a decent passer.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:41 AM, Scarlet Overkill said:

Attendance was impacted, however. Only 52,630 watched the game from Sanford Stadium. Georgia had hoped to top the SEC in spring game attendance for the fourth straight year under coach Kirby Smart. That distinction went to instead to Alabama, which drew 62,000 for its annual “A Game” last Saturday.

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Attendance was impacted, however. Only 52,630 watched the game from Sanford Stadium. Georgia had hoped to top the SEC in spring game attendance for the fourth straight year under coach Kirby Smart. That distinction went to instead to Alabama, which drew 62,000 for its annual “A Game” last Saturday.

Alabama announced 62000 so they could top Ohio State.  But there were no where near that many people there.

10 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

aka "A-hole game"

On 4/21/2019 at 12:15 PM, Mavric said:

Alabama announced 62000 so they could top Ohio State.  But there were no where near that many people there.

If Nebraska were to consistently become very successful again, I'd be interested to see how it impacts something like spring game attendance. I think winner's lethargy can be a powerful force. Alabama posted a 92,000+ attendance to their 2011 spring game and things have slowly decreased in recent years to where they're now claiming a grossly inflated 62,000 attendance for 2019.

But, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, and it's even sort of expected. That kind of stuff just doesn't matter as much to the fan base anymore because of what they've experienced this last decade. I'd gladly trade their success if it meant only 40,000 show up for the spring game.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If Nebraska were to consistently become very successful again, I'd be interested to see how it impacts something like spring game attendance. I think winner's lethargy can be a powerful force. Alabama posted a 92,000+ attendance to their 2011 spring game and things have slowly decreased in recent years to where they're now claiming a grossly inflated 62,000 attendance for 2019.

But, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, and it's even sort of expected. That kind of stuff just doesn't matter as much to the fan base anymore because of what they've experienced this last decade. I'd gladly trade their success if it meant only 40,000 show up for the spring game.

Alabama still sells out in the regular season. I don’t think it’s directly about winning because the spring game isn’t about winning, it’s about a glimpse of something new. Most schools peak attendance is when they get a new coach because that’s when there are the most unknowns. 

I do think if we start winning a lot we see at least a small downturn, but not directly because of the winning but because of the stability winning brings.

• Fire 1