FrostedTips

2019 Spring Game - April 13 @ 1:00 CDT on BTN

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't think Vedral is significantly better than Bunch. 

Perhaps we're making too much of McCaffrey, but that's the fun part. 

I'm getting the feeling they want McCaffrey to redshirt.  So, for right now anyway, it's a two man race with Bunch and Vedral and Vedral is winning.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've asked in this thread and nobody has said anything.  I haven't seen a report from anyone on it.

Where are you seeing it's not serious?

Nowhere specific, maybe I should be more concerned than I am. Just judging based on walking off the field, and Frost saying we got out of the game "pretty healthy." I know the staff doesn't like to disclose injury information, I just feel like the question would've been answered differently if they were worried about an ACL or anything. Hopefully I'm right, but I feel like no news is good news.

• Plus1 1

We probably won’t know where McCaffrey is on the depth chart this year. Although if we have some blowouts and he goes in after Martinez every time up to 4 games, that might be telling. I’m guessing it’ll mostly be Vedral though. 

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We probably won’t know where McCaffrey is on the depth chart this year. Although if we have some blowouts and he goes in after Martinez every time up to 4 games, that might be telling. I’m guessing it’ll mostly be Vedral though. 

Yep.

And although it's way too early to speculate on who the starter would be in 2022 (because we could recruit another 'Adrian Martinez' between now and then), redshirting McCaffrey would be such a huge deal. Knowing that he could be the starter with three years of practice/backup work starting his junior year with just what we've seen of him in the Spring game...wow. Huge potential there for us, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yep.

And although it's way too early to speculate on who the starter would be in 2022 (because we could recruit another 'Adrian Martinez' between now and then), redshirting McCaffrey would be such a huge deal. Knowing that he could be the starter with three years of practice/backup work starting his junior year with just what we've seen of him in the Spring game...wow. Huge potential there for us, IMO.

No way Luke doesn't redshirt outside of Martinez getting injured. Starts the 2 year starter plan from here on out. 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

No way Luke doesn't redshirt outside of Martinez getting injured. Starts the 2 year starter plan from here on out. 

Oh, completely agree.

47 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's too early to tell anything, but I'm not about to let that stop me:

There's a pretty big drop off from Martinez to Bunch. 

I'm not worried about Bunch.  I don't think he's that great but he's fourth-string at best.

But there was also quite a drop-off from the guys playing around Martinez and the guys playing around Bunch.  Plus a significant difference in the guys on the other side of the line.

Are we just not going to talk about how Martinez was down by contact on this TD pass? White Team gettin' jobbed AGAIN.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Are we just not going to talk about how Martinez was down by contact on this TD pass? White Team gettin' jobbed AGAIN.

The play was too good for me to care, and in a real game I don’t think he would have gotten to him. I could be wrong though. Maybe he picked that angle specifically to avoid hitting him.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

The play was too good for me to care, and in a real game I don’t think he would have gotten to him. I could be wrong though. Maybe he picked that angle specifically to avoid hitting him.

:rulez

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But I thought the actual rule was two-hand touch, right? If so, then he wasn't actually down. Defender only gets one hand on him.

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, I thought it looked that way live and from the end zone view you can see that the rusher quit after touching him because he thought he was down.

Just now, Mavric said:

Yeah, I thought it looked that way live and from the end zone view you can see that the rusher quit after touching him because he thought he was down.

Play until the whistle, no matter what! 

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don’t care about no stinkin’ rules as long as Nebraska wins.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t care about no stinkin’ rules as long as Nebraska wins.

I root for the White Team in the Spring Game. They're always the underdog (except for 2005 when B*** C******* stacked the White Team to prove a point).

The White Team is 10-46-1 since 1962, losing by an average of two TDs. They've only won twice in the last twenty years.

I don't know what the exact "rule" is with the green jerseys, but the refs didn't call the quarterbacks down a few times when they could have. It seemed like they were giving them a little benefit of the doubt at times.

That's also why it's a bit tough to judge the official sack totals. I don't think some of them would've been sacks in a real game, but there were conversely a couple of plays where I thought the QB got away and he probably wouldn't have in a live game.

42 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't know what the exact "rule" is with the green jerseys, but the refs didn't call the quarterbacks down a few times when they could have. It seemed like they were giving them a little benefit of the doubt at times.

That's also why it's a bit tough to judge the official sack totals. I don't think some of them would've been sacks in a real game, but there were conversely a couple of plays where I thought the QB got away and he probably wouldn't have in a live game.

I think it hurts the QBs more often then it helps, especially since they’re mobile and could break fingertip tackles in a real game. It’s also easier for the defense to keep track of where they are. 

On the other hand it always cracks me up when a QB goes out to throw a block on a defender because it’s completely unfair.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Im hoping we see Vedral or McCaffery late in the Colorado game.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

On BTN, Ameer and the other guy said it was "two hand touch." So there were of course several times when whichever QB skirted the defender enough to only get touched with one hand.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

Im hoping we see Vedral or McCaffery late in the Colorado game.

I'm hoping the entire 4th quarter is "Garbage Time".

• Plus1 1

Don't want to be nit-piking, but I saw a lot of center snaps go very high.  The QB's were lucky to jump up and grab the snaps but in crucial games a center snap over the QB's head could be a game changer.  :(

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IlliniHusker said:

Don't want to be nit-piking, but I saw a lot of center snaps go very high.  The QB's were lucky to jump up and grab the snaps but in crucial games a center snap over the QB's head could be a game changer.  :(

Definitely not nit picking - it’s definitely a concern.  I heard or read somewhere it was happening in practice, too.  Hoping that is a point they make during summer drills to get that cleaned up before fall.

2 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Careful what you wish for... ‘member last year vs sCUm?

Yeah,  nothing like that I hope.  More something in the 42-10 by the end of the third type scenario. 

1 hour ago, IlliniHusker said:

I counted six.  Gotta clean that up for sure.

Center play is going to be interesting to gauge in general. I don't think Jurgens looked great, but he's learning the position and it seems (on the surface at least) the coaches are trying really hard to groom him for that spot. Here's to hoping he's 100% in the fall and makes big strides this summer.

4 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Definitely not nit picking - it’s definitely a concern.  I heard or read somewhere it was happening in practice, too.  Hoping that is a point they make during summer drills to get that cleaned up before fall.

Easy fix in the summer. It's a repitition thing to learn how to hit your thing in the same spot every time. I'm confident he'll have it down by the opener. 

57 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Easy fix in the summer. It's a repitition thing to learn how to hit your thing in the same spot every time. I'm confident he'll have it down by the opener. 

I'm not sure it's easy to completely fix because we seem to have struggled with it for a few years now.  And when you're in shotgun all the time there are more chances for things to go wrong.

But the guys who were doing most of the snapping on Saturday are new to the position.  So experience should definitely get better with more reps.

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

And when you're in shotgun all the time there are more chances for things to go wrong.

I think this gets undervalued at times. A player can drill it thousands of times, but a clean snap (especially when you exclusively run shotgun) is tough. Even some of the best spread offense centers in the last decade have had a few whiffs here and there.

I remember in last year's MSU game, one of the final snaps in the victory formation almost went over Martinez' head. Drove me nuts that we were snapping the ball like that in that situation, but it's also the team's identity and they're far more comfortable with that than they are snaps under center, so there's really no other option.

13 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

I counted six.  Gotta clean that up for sure.

Glad I am not the only one that was watching this.  Jurgens' snaps definitely looked shaky, especially late in the 2nd quarter.  Forbes looked better in my opinion .  Farniok looked really sharp with his snaps.

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

Center play is going to be interesting to gauge in general. I don't think Jurgens looked great, but he's learning the position and it seems (on the surface at least) the coaches are trying really hard to groom him for that spot. Here's to hoping he's 100% in the fall and makes big strides this summer.

Frost wants him to play center........he must be the best fit we have.

8 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

Frost wants him to play center........he must be the best fit we have.

He has the potential to be the best fit we have, I'm not sure he's there yet. But I have no problem grooming him for the job, and seems like we're still giving plenty of reps to Forbes/Farniok as well.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He has the potential to be the best fit we have, I'm not sure he's there yet. But I have no problem grooming him for the job, and seems like we're still giving plenty of reps to Forbes/Farniok as well.

The snap is very important to get right.  However, we have had centers before that got the snap right but were horrible at blocking or line calls.  I think Jergens is who Frost wants for the blocking and line calls.  I'm confident he will get the snaps under control.

I'll have to pay attention when I rewatch the game, but centers are now snapping the ball a lot different than the did a few years ago. Im not sure if we switched yet, but lot of teams now use a "dead snap" where the center palms the back of the ball and lofts it to the QB. It's slower, but supposed to be more accurate and easier for the QB to pick up. Maybe something we need to look into.

I'm 100% positive the coaches have no idea what they're doing with respect to center and won't have all the kinks worked out by the first game.  We should talk about this more to make sure they know it's important or they'll never know.

• Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 3

Well folks I guess it's time to shut down the board! 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I'm 100% positive the coaches have no idea what they're doing with respect to center and won't have all the kinks worked out by the first game.  We should talk about this more to make sure they know it's important or they'll never know.

You’re right - we really should charge them a consulting fee while we’re at it.

On 4/15/2019 at 3:27 PM, Mavric said:

Also Florida's spring game attendance was listed as 39,476.

TOTALLY COINCIDENTALLY AND NOT RELATED AT ALL, it has been 39 years and 476 games since Georgia last won a National Championship.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, Moiraine said:

I'd like McCaffrey to get a year of Husker S&C and scout team work under his belt, to add some maturity, and durability, then turn him loose.

Ok, so McCaffrey is a QB. He's also probably one of the fastest guys on the team and has a qb's understanding of the game. He has 4 games to play this year, while still preserving his redshirt. In the spirit of getting the best players on the field, why would we leave him on the bench in a back up qb role for those 4 games? Why not get him ready at receiver for Ohio State, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Iowa? Instead of getting meaningless snaps, get him in the games that matter most to make an impact. 

• Plus1 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ok, so McCaffrey is a QB. He's also probably one of the fastest guys on the team and has a qb's understanding of the game. He has 4 games to play this year, while still preserving his redshirt. In the spirit of getting the best players on the field, why would we leave him on the bench in a back up qb role for those 4 games? Why not get him ready at receiver for Ohio State, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Iowa? Instead of getting meaningless snaps, get him in the games that matter most to make an impact. 

I agree but I doubt we see it. Thats alot to learn for the young man and they want to prpbably focus on perfecting his fundementals at QB. Giving energy to learn the reciever spot will take away from his grooming process at QB. I'd like it to be like NCAA 13 where you just slide your best athletes around to get them on the field, but I don't think our coaching staff will be taking that approach. Maybe they design some sort of package or trick play with McCaffery at WR but outside of that I just don't see Frost and Co. doing that.

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

We have very talented receivers that are already receivers. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Do you want him learning how to be a QB or an WR this year?  He's not going to do both.  Shouldn't he be getting all the coaching he can at the QB position over this season?  We then have very talented WRs who work on that position every single day.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So what, you think we need a Jamal Turner on the field this season?

I get both sides but sometimes we like to pretend that learning a few plays at a different position is like a haberdasher having to learn how to do open heart surgery.

The kid is already a freak athlete...putting in a play where he takes a read-option handoff from AM and either looks to run or make a pass to a streaking TE is not that big of a deal...having a play where the bubble screen is faked to him and he takes off on a deep route is not that big of a deal...having a play where he catches a bubble screen and looks to pass downfield is not that big of a deal.

• Plus1 3

Ha. Jamal Turner was never going to be a quarterback. What's more I'm not suggesting any kind of position switch. Just a few situational packages to get the kid on the field in a role to use his exceptional abilities to impact the games in which we might need another impact player to get us to the finish line. Think Suh as an RB/ Lead Blocker in goal line packages. 

Also it wouldn't be the first time a BIG team has used their back up qb as a wide receiver. Didn't Wisconsin or Michigan to that with a ton of success a few years back?

23 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Just a few situational packages to get the kid on the field in a role to use his exceptional abilities to impact the games in which we might need another impact player to get us to the finish line.

I think it's certainly possible they could utilize Luke's athleticism outside of him riding the bench all season. But, by all accounts, Luke is a quarterback. That's the full-go plan and Mario really likes him. There's a lot more to wide receiver than just athleticism/speed in this offense.

You also have to ask yourself if what he could bring to the table is more valuable than the four or five guys that'll see the majority of WR snaps this season. At this point, I don't think I've seen much evidence to suggest that other than he's quick, and that's not much.

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Think Suh as an RB/ Lead Blocker in goal line packages. 

Teams do that kind of thing, including Frost’s UCF team, do it because that move brings something needed. A 300 pound hammer is not something you tend to have lying around in your backfield, especially if your team doesn’t employ any fullbacks.

We already have a bunch of fast dudes at receiver/RB. You would literally be taking a fast dude off the field to replace him with another fast dude. Except that replacement that you’re exposing to those big hits is your QB of the future. 

• Plus1 1