FrostedTips

2019 Spring Game - April 13 @ 1:00 CDT on BTN

...putting in a play where he takes a read-option handoff from AM and either looks to run or make a pass to a streaking TE is not that big of a deal...

Already exists as an RPO. No second QB needed. 

I’d also point out, I’m not sure how you’re passing off of a read-option handoff. You almost always have an unblocked defender.

having a play where the bubble screen is faked to him and he takes off on a deep route is not that big of a deal...

Already part of the offense. Works even better when it’s a blocker that slips since the defenders are looking to avoid that player.

having a play where he catches a bubble screen and looks to pass downfield is not that big of a deal.

We have tried this without much success with non-QBs. This one does work much better with a bonifide passer, though to sell the illusion he needs to be part of other plays. This play works best when your receivers/back/TE just happen to be a decent passer.

19 hours ago, teachercd said:

I get both sides but sometimes we like to pretend that learning a few plays at a different position is like a haberdasher having to learn how to do open heart surgery.

+1 for working haberdasher into a football discussion

27 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

+1 for working haberdasher into a football discussion

It always makes me think of Spinal Tap

• Plus1 1

On 4/14/2019 at 11:41 AM, Scarlet Overkill said:

Attendance was impacted, however. Only 52,630 watched the game from Sanford Stadium. Georgia had hoped to top the SEC in spring game attendance for the fourth straight year under coach Kirby Smart. That distinction went to instead to Alabama, which drew 62,000 for its annual “A Game” last Saturday.

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Attendance was impacted, however. Only 52,630 watched the game from Sanford Stadium. Georgia had hoped to top the SEC in spring game attendance for the fourth straight year under coach Kirby Smart. That distinction went to instead to Alabama, which drew 62,000 for its annual “A Game” last Saturday.

Alabama announced 62000 so they could top Ohio State.  But there were no where near that many people there.

10 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

aka "A-hole game"

On 4/21/2019 at 12:15 PM, Mavric said:

Alabama announced 62000 so they could top Ohio State.  But there were no where near that many people there.

If Nebraska were to consistently become very successful again, I'd be interested to see how it impacts something like spring game attendance. I think winner's lethargy can be a powerful force. Alabama posted a 92,000+ attendance to their 2011 spring game and things have slowly decreased in recent years to where they're now claiming a grossly inflated 62,000 attendance for 2019.

But, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, and it's even sort of expected. That kind of stuff just doesn't matter as much to the fan base anymore because of what they've experienced this last decade. I'd gladly trade their success if it meant only 40,000 show up for the spring game.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If Nebraska were to consistently become very successful again, I'd be interested to see how it impacts something like spring game attendance. I think winner's lethargy can be a powerful force. Alabama posted a 92,000+ attendance to their 2011 spring game and things have slowly decreased in recent years to where they're now claiming a grossly inflated 62,000 attendance for 2019.

But, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, and it's even sort of expected. That kind of stuff just doesn't matter as much to the fan base anymore because of what they've experienced this last decade. I'd gladly trade their success if it meant only 40,000 show up for the spring game.

Alabama still sells out in the regular season. I don’t think it’s directly about winning because the spring game isn’t about winning, it’s about a glimpse of something new. Most schools peak attendance is when they get a new coach because that’s when there are the most unknowns. 

I do think if we start winning a lot we see at least a small downturn, but not directly because of the winning but because of the stability winning brings.

• Upvote 1

We won! Hip Hip HOOR-- wait. I forgot we don't do that anymore.

Mountain Dews for everyone!

• Haha 1