Avengers 4: Endgame ***Speculation & Spoilers***

I'm a pretty stoic guy when I watch movies. It isn't hard to get me to laugh, but I've never cried in a movie theater. I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy or anything. I just rarely cry in any situation.

I cried twice watching this movie. Then a had a weird existential conversation with myself about if something is wrong with me for crying during a fictional movie.

Then I quit caring and kept watching the movie because it was really good. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I'm a pretty stoic guy when I watch movies. It isn't hard to get me to laugh, but I've never cried in a movie theater. I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy or anything. I just rarely cry in any situation.

I cried twice watching this movie. Then a had a weird existential conversation with myself about if something is wrong with me for crying during a fictional movie.

Then I quit caring and kept watching the movie because it was really good. 

It got me 3 times. 

17 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

So we can post spoilers freely?

Correct. For example, I got choked up quite a few times. My top five moments (in no particular order):

1) Black Widow's sacrifice

2) Iron Man's sacrifice/death

3) Seeing all of the Avenger's return (not necessarily 'choked up,' but hit me in the feels regardless)

4) Captain America returning as an old man

5) Happy and cheeseburgers

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Correct. For example, I got choked up quite a few times. My top five moments (in no particular order):

1) Black Widow's sacrifice

2) Iron Man's sacrifice/death

3) Seeing all of the Avenger's return (not necessarily 'choked up,' but hit me in the feels regardless)

4) Captain America returning as an old man

5) Happy and cheeseburgers

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Such a great movie

Good flick. Spent a lot too much time in the beginning setting up the plot. 

• I was a little surprised that it was so easy to kill Thanos the first time. I know he didn't have the stones anymore (so why was he still wearing the gauntlet), but he's still a badass. Maybe destroying the stones took too much out of him.
  • It was good to see nearly every single character, good and bad, in the movie. They brought the whole gang back for this one. Shows you how populated the MCU is.
  • Cap showing up on the bench at the end made no sense. But it was a good way to end his story.
  • Falcon becoming the new Captain America is fine, but Steve Rogers had super strength. Falcon is just a regular dude in a flying rig, right?
  • Why, after five years, did Peter go back to high school, and why was his buddy Ned there? Weird time mashup there.
  • Does Thor join the Guardians now? If so, he had better get back in shape. Fat Thor sucks.
  • I got the sad a couple times, but I outright shed tears when Tony died. And that's the great thing about his character - you're supposed to hate him because he's a jerk, but you end up loving him anyway.
  • Is there going to be a new Avengers - Falcon/Cap, Captain Marvel, Spiderman, Dr. Strange, Bucky, etc? Or do they stop with the Avengers now?
  • Who was the kid at the funeral ceremony, standing alone off to the right, one of the last people they showed before Captain Marvel?
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good flick. Spent a lot too much time in the beginning setting up the plot. 

• I was a little surprised that it was so easy to kill Thanos the first time. I know he didn't have the stones anymore (so why was he still wearing the gauntlet), but he's still a badass. Maybe destroying the stones took too much out of him.
  • It was good to see nearly every single character, good and bad, in the movie. They brought the whole gang back for this one. Shows you how populated the MCU is.
  • Cap showing up on the bench at the end made no sense. But it was a good way to end his story.
  • Falcon becoming the new Captain America is fine, but Steve Rogers had super strength. Falcon is just a regular dude in a flying rig, right?
  • Why, after five years, did Peter go back to high school, and why was his buddy Ned there? Weird time mashup there.
  • Does Thor join the Guardians now? If so, he had better get back in shape. Fat Thor sucks.
  • I got the sad a couple times, but I outright shed tears when Tony died. And that's the great thing about his character - you're supposed to hate him because he's a jerk, but you end up loving him anyway.
  • Is there going to be a new Avengers - Falcon/Cap, Captain Marvel, Spiderman, Dr. Strange, Bucky, etc? Or do they stop with the Avengers now?
  • Who was the kid at the funeral ceremony, standing alone off to the right, one of the last people they showed before Captain Marvel?

From your last point the kid was the kid in Iron Man 3. 

Cap showing up on the bench is possible.  He knew they would all be there at that point so all he had to do was be their on time. The only problem was that he would be like 105 years old. 

I like the movie a lot.  The story line was a lot different that I was expecting and I enjoyed that.  It had the right amount of humor, action and drama for my tastes.  I never felt the movie was too long.  Never caught myself thinking this is a 3 hour movie and it should be shorter.  

Couple things based on @knapplc and @NUinID's posts

- Cap showing up on the bench is possible, but it still doesn't make much sense for several reasons, but that's why it's probably best the movie didn't spend much 'time' trying to explain time travel. It's incredibly messy. They definitely took some conveniences with it.

- As for Peter returning to school, I'm assuming Ned and maybe a bunch of those other kids were reduced to ash too and now they're all back in school for the first time. But, if Ned survived the first time, then no that doesn't make sense at all. Ned would be college aged.

- I do think Thor joins the Guardians now (there's a 3rd Guardians movie planned from what I know, along with several other Phase 4 projects like a Black Widow spin off). I did read one article online that sort of changed my perception of Fat Thor. It pointed out that he's sort of the embodiment of humanity in a way that he's struggling with his past failures, has let him self go but, in the end, is totally OK with being who he is. I saw their point but I still don't like Fat Thor.

- I don't know if there will be more "Avengers" spinoffs, but I have read they have multiple Phase 4 projects in the works or at least on the drafting table including a Black Widow spinoff, Guardians 3, Black Panther 2 and Dr. Strange 2. This upcoming Spiderman movie is the official end of Phase 3.

- Shout out to @NUinID for pointing out who that kid was because I had NO idea. I saw Iron Man 3 when it came out and didn't like it much, so I never watched it again.

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Couple things based on @knapplc and @NUinID's posts

- Cap showing up on the bench is possible, but it still doesn't make much sense for several reasons, but that's why it's probably best the movie didn't spend much 'time' trying to explain time travel. It's incredibly messy. They definitely took some conveniences with it.

- As for Peter returning to school, I'm assuming Ned and maybe a bunch of those other kids were reduced to ash too and now they're all back in school for the first time. But, if Ned survived the first time, then no that doesn't make sense at all. Ned would be college aged.

- I do think Thor joins the Guardians now (there's a 3rd Guardians movie planned from what I know, along with several other Phase 4 projects like a Black Widow spin off). I did read one article online that sort of changed my perception of Fat Thor. It pointed out that he's sort of the embodiment of humanity in a way that he's struggling with his past failures, has let him self go but, in the end, is totally OK with being who he is. I saw their point but I still don't like Fat Thor.

- Shout out to @NUinID for pointing out who that kid was because I had NO idea. I saw Iron Man 3 when it came out and didn't like it much, so I never watched it again.

I'll add a few to this:

- If Cap is good enough to return all the Infinity Stones to where they belong, and return Mjolnir (it didn't dawn on me for a day or two why he took Mjolnir with him) to Asgard, without screwing up the timeline, I believe he's good enough to keep himself hidden from view until the time to give up the Shield is right. What I haven't figured out is if there were two Steves in the main MCU timeline: our Cap, and Cap after he went back to the past. I would assume that, according to Endgame's time travel rules, the minute he stayed in the past with Peggy, he created a new timeline. This would indicate that Cap used his wrist device to travel back rather than just showing up (and it would also mean there could still be some stories of Cap in the past, if Evans can every be coaxed back to the role). EDIT: I'm almost certain after reading a few other reactions that there are two Caps in the main MCU timeline: Steve #1 travels back to his own past and lives low with Peggy while Steve #2 is still on ice. 

- The "Peter Parker" problem bugs me too, but I'm almost certain Far From Home will address it. 

- I've wanted an Asgardians of the Galaxy movie since Ragnarok came out. Thor's character, and the tone that Hemsworth and Waititi have taken with him fit in perfectly with how Gunn has crafted the GotG's portion of the MCU, and Hemsworth has said he'll come back as long as Marvel will have him. And, Guardians 3 was moved back after the James Gunn fiasco to accommodate him filming Suicide Squad 2, so there is a possibility to add Thor in, Fat or not. 

- Black Widow will almost have to a prequel detailing the Red Room and how she joined SHIELD. Maybe we get an appearance from Bucky showing their shared past, and from how Hawkeye brought her into SHIELD (and Budapest!).

- It took me a few seconds to figure out that the awkward kid at the funeral was the same kid from Iron Man 3, but I was a blubbering mess by that point. 

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

- I don't know if there will be more "Avengers" spinoffs, but I have read they have multiple Phase 4 projects in the works or at least on the drafting table including a Black Widow spinoff, Guardians 3, Black Panther 2 and Dr. Strange 2. This upcoming Spiderman movie is the official end of Phase 3.

- I think you'll see a few years' break before another major team up, but I could see the New Avengers consisting of Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, Wasp, Spider-Man (until Sony decides they want to screw the character up again and stop lending him back to Marvel) and, if they can convince them to come back, Hulk and Thor. 

- There's also an Eternals movie in the works; essentially they're an ancient race created by the Celestials (same ones who created the Infinity Stones) to defend the life the Celestials created/experimented with on Earth. There is also a backdoor way for them to introduce Mutants and the X-Men this way, as this experimentation was the way the X-gene mutation was created. 

- While unannounced up to this point, I'd also be willing to bet we see rumors of a Fantastic Four movie in the works after Phase 3 ends, now that Marvel has the rights back. I'd also be willing to bet that the Big Bad of the next Saga (Phases 1-3 are known as the Infinity Saga) is either going to be Doctor Doom or Galactus. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Agreed on Cap (see below), correct on Falcon, and I'm assuming that Peter and Ned back in school is like maybe a few months later when things start going back to normal ish, and half of their entire high school just came back and is ready to get back to normal life. Sucks that half their friends are gonna be like 21 now though :lol:

2 hours ago, NUinID said:

Cap showing up on the bench is possible.  He knew they would all be there at that point so all he had to do was be their on time. The only problem was that he would be like 105 years old. 

I don't think it is possible. First of all, it would be totally out of character, wouldn't it? If he stayed in the same timeline (which he did because he showed up as an old man), then all the things in this timeline happened and he just...let them happen? Like he just chills while HYDRA infiltrates SHIELD? Second, he wouldn't stay in the same timeline because he'd be changing stuff and making divergent realities by staying back there wouldn't he? 

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Agreed on Cap (see below), correct on Falcon, and I'm assuming that Peter and Ned back in school is like maybe a few months later when things start going back to normal ish, and half of their entire high school just came back and is ready to get back to normal life. Sucks that half their friends are gonna be like 21 now though :lol:

I don't think it is possible. First of all, it would be totally out of character, wouldn't it? If he stayed in the same timeline (which he did because he showed up as an old man), then all the things in this timeline happened and he just...let them happen? Like he just chills while HYDRA infiltrates SHIELD? Second, he wouldn't stay in the same timeline because he'd be changing stuff and making divergent realities by staying back there wouldn't he? 

You think way deeper about this than I do.  I don't worry as much about plot holes as long as they are not too big.