Avengers 4: Endgame ***Speculation & Spoilers***

• 2 weeks later...

Some Spoiler Discussions:

Spoiler

- I am legit saddened by the departures of RDJ and Chris Evans. Evans embodies Cap and the MCU is nothing if RDJ isn't basically Tony Stark come to life. Plus, these are my two favorite comic book characters, so while their arcs (ESPECIALLY Cap's) were super satisfying, it's bittersweet for me seeing their time come to an end. 

- I was very surprised that Widow died. 

- Only one portion of the film bugged me (thus far), and that was Fat Thor. The joke was funny when he first showed up, but it wore thin (!) as the film went on. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Some Spoiler Discussions:

Hide contents

- I am legit saddened by the departures of RDJ and Chris Evans. Evans embodies Cap and the MCU is nothing if RDJ isn't basically Tony Stark come to life. Plus, these are my two favorite comic book characters, so while their arcs (ESPECIALLY Cap's) were super satisfying, it's bittersweet for me seeing their time come to an end. 

- I was very surprised that Widow died. 

- Only one portion of the film bugged me (thus far), and that was Fat Thor. The joke was funny when he first showed up, but it wore thin (!) as the film went on. 

Spoiler

Agree with your first point.  It was pretty much a given that at least one would be gone.  And not surprising that both would be.  But I thought that was a great way to close their chapters.

Also pretty surprised that Black Widow is gone.  Wasn't there talk of a Black Widow spin-off series at one point?

48 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Hide contents

Agree with your first point.  It was pretty much a given that at least one would be gone.  And not surprising that both would be.  But I thought that was a great way to close their chapters.

Also pretty surprised that Black Widow is gone.  Wasn't there talk of a Black Widow spin-off series at one point?

Spoiler

ScarJo is making a Black Widow film for release next year, I believe. It has to be a prequel now; probably show her joining SHIELD, and maybe her and Clint in Budapest. 

• Plus1 1
Spoiler

Also, I was really shocked that Captain Marvel had so little screen time.  After the buildup from the end of Infinity War, her own movie and the trailers, she barely showed up in the movie.  Granted, she basically saved everyone in the end but really didn't figure in the plot much.  

The only thing I can think of is that they spent most of the time on the "last hurrah" for Cap and Iron Man so even in a three hour movie there wasn't enough time to get her in there much.  But still.....

9 hours ago, Mavric said:
  Hide contents

Also, I was really shocked that Captain Marvel had so little screen time.  After the buildup from the end of Infinity War, her own movie and the trailers, she barely showed up in the movie.  Granted, she basically saved everyone in the end but really didn't figure in the plot much.  

The only thing I can think of is that they spent most of the time on the "last hurrah" for Cap and Iron Man so even in a three hour movie there wasn't enough time to get her in there much.  But still.....

Spoiler

From what I've heard, Brie Larson filmed her scenes in Endgame before her own movie, so I don't know if the Russos know how big of a deal she was going to be. Plus, with someone of her power set, it'd be awful easy to have her be a big deus ex machina for Thanos. 

Spoiler

Captain America stuff at the end didn't make sense. Not so much him staying in the past to live with Peggy, but the fact that he suddenly appeared as they were frantically trying to pull him back. Other than that, a solid ending to a cinematic universe that started with Iron Man. The ending fight had some eye-roll worthy fanservice, IMO, but overall the last fight was still great.

19 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:
  Hide contents

Captain America stuff at the end didn't make sense. Not so much him staying in the past to live with Peggy, but the fact that he suddenly appeared as they were frantically trying to pull him back. Other than that, a solid ending to a cinematic universe that started with Iron Man. The ending fight had some eye-roll worthy fanservice, IMO, but overall the last fight was still great.

My understanding is that Cap remembered as he went through the years to show up at that day/time/location and was like hiding in the bushes until his young self went back

:lol:

God you guys what an accomplishment and a brilliant piece of art this was. I'm a massive cinephile but I connected to this in a way I don't know if I ever really have any other movie before. It's been the only thing I've been able to think about the last two days (and i'm in the middle of some HUGE life changes). I get misty eyed or smile or laugh a little even thinking about certain parts of it right now. 

Spoiler

Yeah, just to echo others, Cap basically knew when/where they would be and he just lived his life, grew old and then waited at that spot for them. This is where "time" as a cinematic theme can get sort of hazy though because the events leading up to them being there shouldn't have happened, so they shouldn't have been there. It doesn't make much movie sense but there we are.

Overall, LOVED the movie. Only had some minor gripes (some of the time travel incongruences and Fat Thor were two, and the poor execution of the gratuitous all-female battle charge). I'm like @Landlord that I get a little emotional just thinking about parts of it. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I was happy. Just a slew of emotions and a perfect way to end the series.

Spoiler

I really expected Thor to regain his Thor-body at some point in the movie, particularly when he grabbed Mjolnir out of 2014. However, I am learning to live with Fat Thor, as 1. If they do make a Thor 4 (or Asgardians of the Galaxy), I fully expect him to regain his fitness, and 2. It's nice my body type be represented in one of these films! :D