Look back at Suh and the erroneous Hypesman

They need to just re-categorize it as the award for the best offensive skill position player. Because that’s what it essentially is.  It would be extremely rare for a defender and near impossible for any lineman to win it. I’m sorry Heiman voters, but the “best “ college football players are not always QBs, RB,s and receivers. Nobody is buying that BS anymore.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

If you want proof of this being a hype award, look at Manti Te'o. One of those very rare defensive players to be a Heisman finalist. I'm sure it was complete coincidence that he happened to play for Notre Dame, during their best season in many years, in which they were set to play for the national title, while he got plenty of headlines for having a dead girlfriend (that didn't actually exist).

I'm sure his stat line on any other team that year without the personal headlines would have gotten him to New York. (please know this is sarcasm)

14 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Suh should have won the heisman that year but I feel like there's too much kool aid drinking with Frazier.  George had 2400 total yards compared to Frazier's 1976 total yards.  Are you saying Frazier should have won it because he was on the most dominant team(the best team in college football history I might add).

Did you watch Frazier play that year?  Serious question

Gerhart was also better and more deserving than Ingram that year.  The award became "Alabama is such a good football program over the years and doesn't have a Heisman award winner, we need to give them one" in '09.  Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald in '03 was terrible.  Christian McCaffrey and Deshaun Watson were better than Derrick Henry in '15.  I could probably also make a case for Rex Grossman over Eric Crouch too.  I think they discriminated against Rex because he was a sophomore.  Good thing that award doesn't mean a damn thing to me anymore.

• Plus1 2
Just now, huskerfan333157 said:

Yes but did you watch George play? They were both amazing that year.

I watched.  He won the heisman by getting 300+ yards against a 5-win Illinois team in a November blowout that happened to be the featured game on ABC.  That same day, Frazier and the offense dismantled a top-10 Kansas team in Lawrence.  Frazier orchestrated one of the best offenses ever witnessed at the college level.  Much of what he did in terms of contribution to the running game, does not show up in stats.  Same can be said for most other option quarterbacks who know how to pitch the ball or when to give it to the fullback.

I am not saying that George stole the trophy, but I was personally shocked when it happened.  This was a couple years after Gino freaking Torretta won it, for no other reason than being the quarterback of the best team.  I was disappointed, but not appalled when Suh did not win it.

• Plus1 4