It’s cold outside

Now for my own take - There’s like a 0.00000000001% this was intended as a song about drugging a girl.

That doesn’t mean that particular lyric doesn’t sound that way 80 years later, but the 3 people who don’t want to hear it can turn off the radio while it’s on. I don’t even know what this song sounds like without looking it up.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You guys are renewing my faith in humanity with this thread.

Good Lord....if that's about date rape, I date raped my now wife about once a week while dating.

If I were to listen to the song out of context and it was written in 2018, she seems to know she’s been drinking alcohol, as she mentions having half a drink more. Later on she asks what’s been put in the drink.

So it does sound date rapey but you have to ignore what you know about when it was written.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't agree.  This sounds trivial.  But, at some point stuff like this should be called out for what it is....stupid.

People have been whining about stupid s#!t for ages. There’s a reason Elvis was filmed from the waist up on Ed Sullivan. It wasn’t ‘cause everyone at the time was cool with sexy dancing.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

People have been whining about stupid s#!t for ages. There’s a reason Elvis was filmed from the waist up on Ed Sullivan. It wasn’t ‘cause everyone at the time was cool with sexy dancing.

And, I would have agreed with people at the time that thought having to film him from the waist up was stupid.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

And, I would have agreed with people at the time that thought having to film him from the waist up was stupid.

My point is this isn’t some new thing where people are p*****s now and we need to really care a lot about it and put our foot down and make America great again.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I fully agree.  That doesn't mean it shouldn't be called what it is.

But why care about a small handful of silly people we wouldn’t even know about if some news people hadn’t decided to make something out of nothing?

Think of how many people probably call radio stations every day complaining about something. Man... oh wait. Maybe I should change my mind. The denizens of my hometown complained so much about Beavis and Butthead they got MTV removed from the cable lineup for about 10 years.

Ok, I agree with you.

Instead of waiting for local radio stations to ban their super annoying morning djs that talk about very stupid and pointless things, I don't listen to radio on my way to work in the morning.  And I also don't call the people who enjoy the stupid and pointless conversations idiots; it's okay if it is their thing.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

But why care about a small handful of silly people we wouldn’t even know about if some news people hadn’t decided to make something out of nothing?

Think of how many people probably call radio stations every day complaining about something. Man... oh wait. Maybe I should change my mind. The denizens of my hometown complained so much about Beavis and Butthead they got MTV removed from the cable lineup for about 10 years.

Ok, I agree with you.

maybe those denizens of your hometown were right...beavis and butthead eventually grew up

cd7b1439c7cd300a7fe0067b2801d194--furry-

14 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ok, I agree with you.

I totally forgot about the freak out over Beavis and Butthead!  

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I thought the discussion would be about the meaning of the song, not whether people are offended by it.

Seems like a lot of people in this topic are offended at the thought of people being offended by it, but who’s offended by it other than a few callers? Asking whether it’s a date rape song does not require one to be offended. People being murdered and national media reporting on every murder does not mean the murder rate has increased. A few people calling in doesn’t mean a bunch of people are offended.

as @funhusker said, the freak out over the freak out is just as annoying. There seem to be far more people upset at people being offended than there are offended people.

@teachercd how were the lyrics you posted relevant? Maybe I don’t understand them but they just seem to be about girls’ panties getting wet and then hopefully having intercourse with them. I don’t see anything there that can be construed as nonconsensual sex. Maybe you can enlighten me on what I’m missing.

I don't get offended when I see asinine headlines about our overly sensitive citizens complaining about something. The annoying part is when radio stations, businesses, etc, give into their stupid s#!t and act accordingly. That needs to stop, because it's part of what fuels them to keep finding stuff to be offended by.... A good place to start would be for people in the public eye to quit apologizing when it's unnecessary (recently Kevin Hart, and Kyler Murray).

My coworker was playing this song in her office this morning, and we joked about it a little bit. You see, we work on Title IX issues on a college campus, and we provide training that includes discussion about consent. We could probably use this song in our trainings to have a humorous conversation about consent and "no means no." But take the song for what its worth, an old piece of of Christmas music that is one of about a million things that we can take or leave during this time of year.

I would not recommend drugging the drink of the girl you like and preventing her from leaving when she repeatedly tells you that she can't stay, but you also shouldn't get offended by a song. Additionally, Rudolph certainly was bullied, but the whole point of the story is that everyone was wrong about him. Further, the evidence does not support that a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is racist.

Also, in my favorite movie of all time, Han Solo sexually assaults Leia! Kudos to C3PO for the bystander intervention.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good Lord....if that's about date rape, I date raped my now wife about once a week while dating.

Now, regarding BRB's admission of repeatedly drugging and falsely imprisoning his future wife, if she comes forward with a complaint, someone might wanna look into that. 

• Plus1 1