Other College Football Recruiting News

Detraveon Brown says he was misled by Ole Miss on National Signing Day

But as reporters started asking around, they soon discovered one problem: Brown signed a commitment letter that didn't exist.

It's unclear exactly what happened, but Ole Miss told Shreveport TV station KTAL that the school had not extended a scholarship offer to him, and that the school has no paperwork on the receiver. The Shreveport Times and KTBS confirmed the same thing KTAL's report.

KTBS's report says they became suspicious when Ole Miss did not list Brown among its signees for the day. The school denied further comment, telling KTBS, "We do not have official paperwork with him, so I’m afraid we cannot comment at this time."

• Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

58 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

"Ryan Day can't recruit, nor can he coach like Urban Meyer ... nor will he be able to get big time recruits from St. Louis."  :sarcasm

Obviously you were joking - at least to some extent.  But I don't think it's "case closed" yet.  With as much momentum as they have, it was never going to drop off very quickly.  There is plenty of residual from the success they've had.  Same thing happened here after TO retired - we had enough momentum to still do well for a few years and enough talent to hide the cracks that were forming.  But once we got out where the new staff was "on their own", things went downhill.  Same thing with Stanford.  I expected them to fall off faster after Harbaugh left but not immediately.  Year 4 saw a noticeable down-turn but then they rebounded for a couple years.  Now they're falling fast.  

55 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Obviously you were joking - at least to some extent.  But I don't think it's "case closed" yet.  With as much momentum as they have, it was never going to drop off very quickly.  There is plenty of residual from the success they've had.  Same thing happened here after TO retired - we had enough momentum to still do well for a few years and enough talent to hide the cracks that were forming.  But once we got out where the new staff was "on their own", things went downhill.  Same thing with Stanford.  I expected them to fall off faster after Harbaugh left but not immediately.  Year 4 saw a noticeable down-turn but then they rebounded for a couple years.  Now they're falling fast.  

The same argument is 100% true in the reverse. "Why does it take Frost multiple years to turn around a roster and the program?" 

A strong roster can carry an ineffective team for multiple years. 

A weak roster will tank a team, even with strong coaching, for multiple years until it starts to turn over. 

• Plus1 4
52 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Always enjoy your input to my posts Mavric.  Enjoyed your thoughts and the read.

I'm always frustrated by OSU's dominance of the St. Louis kids.  We seem to really suck in that area/market.  

Really no joking for me ... it would be rather odd for Ryan Day to recruit so well if he wasn't the "real deal".  He brought in Zach Harrison last year [which I suspect will be another stud edge rusher ... we shall see].  Anyway, OSU seemed to get mocked for only pulling in the #14 ranked class [with just 17 players], while we were elated to be ranked #17 [with 28 players].  

I'm not necessarily a star follower ... but when you take 11 more players and still get beat by three spots ... it isn't a wake-up call for me ... but dang, feels a bit overwhelming as you realize that as of yet we can't really say we are developing guys yet [look at the decimation already of Frost's first class].  

I hate OSU.  I always thought they were very "over-rated" [when we were in the Big 12] ... sadly ... they are the real deal now.

Gonna go eat some "humble pie" now and hopefully feel better.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...