Other College Football Recruiting News

I was looking at those ratings yesterday and just shake my head at the talent those top schools are able to reel in. But OSU is in the stratosphere compared to even the elite programs. Four 5 stars & eleven 4 stars! With the coaching and organization they have it is going to be hard for anybody in the B1G to compete with them. When I look at where NU in comparison it just makes me sad.

• Plus1 5

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think reclassifying would be a product of the NIL rules for football, but that might be upon us. This might make roster management really hard for coaches going forward. Maybe this will be limited to prospective generational talent. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/07/123830/quinn-ewers-leaning-toward-skipping-senior-year-of-high-school-football-and-attending-ohio-state-this-fall

That would make OSU's 21 recruiting class one of the best ever. It would suck for the other QBs on the roster but thankfully they won't have to sit out a year if they decided to transfer. 

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

QB room at tOSU is going to be really interesting between Stroud/Miller/Ewers/McCord.  I think it's pretty much a guarantee that outside of McCord, 2 of the other 3 are going to transfer.  What are your thoughts @jaws?

If Ewers comes early I think he is betting big on himself in two areas. One would be the NIL money (large Instagram and Twitter following) and the other would be starting his clock on the NFL sooner. I think he sees himself as only being in college for 3 years max. That means OSU probably only has him for 2 years of actual playing time. I can't see how he would take snaps in the first half of the season if he decides to graduate HS early. It really stinks for the other guys because I assume they signed with OSU knowing they will compete for the starting QB position but without knowing that Ewers was a possibility for 2021. It is a hard spot for the QBs already in the room and for OSU coaches. You simply can't turn away a QB prospect with Ewers talent level. 

Saying all this...none of these guys have thrown a pass in a college game. The QB situation this year was already going to be tough without Ewers. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

QB room at tOSU is going to be really interesting between Stroud/Miller/Ewers/McCord.  I think it's pretty much a guarantee that outside of McCord, 2 of the other 3 are going to transfer.  What are your thoughts @jaws?

Can you or @jaws speak to any of those 2-3 who would transfer ... would they be an upgrade to anything on our roster [if we could even land them]?

10 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Can you or @jaws speak to any of those 2-3 who would transfer ... would they be an upgrade to anything on our roster [if we could even land them]?

I can't say other than they were high 4* or 5* guys. Stroud is the only one that has played and scored a TD in a college game but that was running the ball. I have no clue what is going to happen but I don't see guys staying around if the room gets even more crowded. This isn't like the Joe Burrow situation. The OSU fan base was split between him and Haskins because there was some actual in game experience for both guys...we don't really know much about any of the QBs on the current roster. 

• Thanks 1