Martinez for Heisman

Mavric

7. Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez
Here's a name to watch coming out of the Big Ten, as the latest Scott Frost quarterbacking pupil to put up crooked numbers and set school records at the helm of a high-powered offense. As a true freshman in 2018, Martinez threw for 2,617 yards with 17 touchdowns with another 629 rushing yards despite missing all of one game and being physically limited in several others with a knee injury. As seen during his coaching career, Frost's quarterbacks explode as second-year starters. Martinez will be no exception.

USA Today - Ahead of Martinez: Tua, Haskins, Trevor Lawrence, Jonathan Taylor, Travis Etienne & "Georgia's starting QB"

8. Adrian Martinez, QB, Nebraska
Speaking of players who could thrive in a system, Nebraska coach Scott Frost has the ideal weapon for his offense in California signal-caller Adrian Martinez.

The longtime Tennessee commitment flipped to the Cornhuskers in the 11th hour and signed last December. Though he didn't get the kind of headlines JT Daniels, Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields did, he arguably had the best season of the bunch.

Nebraska didn't have the year it would have liked as the roster adjusts to Frost, going 4-8, but when the coach gets more of his players in there during his second year, things will get better. We've already seen what can happen during his time at UCF.

Martinez will be the centerpiece of it all.

The 6'2", 220-pound quarterback from Fresno finished the year having completed 64.6 percent of his passes for 2,617 yards, 17 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He added 629 rushing yards and eight more scores on the ground, proving to the nation he is worth the price of a ticket.

He's only going to get better as he grows and matures and gets more star athletes around him. Martinez ran the ball nearly 13 times a game, and that probably needs to decrease if he's going to stay healthy. But it will once the offense gets in a groove. When that happens, the sky is the limit.

"They’re gonna win a ton of games here," NU senior linebacker Luke Gifford told the Omaha World-Herald's Chris Heady. "They’re good kids. They work hard, Coach (Scott) Frost is awesome, and I can’t wait to come back and watch them."

Added senior running back Devine Ozigbo about Martinez: "He’s gonna be a lot better next year. There’s just no doubt about it."

He may be one of the best.  

Bleacher Report - Ahead of Martinez: Darrell Henderson, Etienne, Justin Herbert, Lawrence, Taylor, Ehlinger, Tua

• Plus1 1

It's been 10 years since I've been THIS excited for a season.  Like yeah 2018 was exciting for the change and debut and all that jazz.  But this team is about to be good again.  Like scary good again.  Sure there will be flaws and frustrating games.  But we are going to win a lot of games, and look good doing it.  It's so damn nice to feel that way again and not have to say it with a s#!tload of doubt in the back of my mind.

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, jaws said:

Those are great numbers but I doubt he wins the Heisman next year. The media will be all over Tua and Lawrence. 

Maybe it is just me but I feel like the media is sort of "over" Tua...I think we sort of saw that a bit this year.  Almost like he seems to make things look too easy?  

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I like those numbers. How many picks? He had 8 in 2018. I'm gonna say 5

Hmmm I would say around 8 again.  He had a few that were dropped this year that could have been picks.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Redux said:

It's been 10 years since I've been THIS excited for a season.  Like yeah 2018 was exciting for the change and debut and all that jazz.  But this team is about to be good again.  Like scary good again.  Sure there will be flaws and frustrating games.  But we are going to will a lot of games, and look good doing it.  It's so damn nice to feel that way again and not have to say it with a s#!tload of doubt I  the back of my mind.

I think we are another year away.  I predicted 6 6 last year (even though i was being called an hater for it) and I'm predicting an 8 4 year this year.  I think losing Morgan and ozigbo will hurt us more than people think.  I also expect our defense to improve but we're still lacking in talent in that department.  I fully expect us to win 10 or 11 games when Martinez is a senior and he should win the heisman.